+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 207 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484134 ... LastLast
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: MasterChef

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Everyone seems to think Christian should be gone... but all attitude and cockiness aside, all of the contestants agree that he is the chef to beat. He has consistantly done well during individual challenges when his cooking is on the line, and that counts for a LOT in a cooking type show.
    That said, he really needs to shape up in the group challenges and work better with others... or he can kiss winning goodbye, I think. He does deserve to be there though... especially in comparison to a trainwreck like Christine, an idiot like Suzy, or just weaker cook like Derrick.

Judging by the editing I wonder if they are setting up Christian and Ben finale. Their personalities are complete opposite and it would make for an interesting finale watching those two duke it out. I also think Adrien and Jennifer have a good shot for the final.

Thinking about it, I would buy a cookbook from Ben. I also think he could carry a cooking show.
    I think Christian can already kiss winning goodbye. I can't see the producers wanting him to represent the show. There's no way I'd buy his cookbook. Yes, he cooks wonderfully, but so do a lot of people. There's no shortage of cookbooks out there. Good recipes are a dime a dozen; in many cases, the personality of the cookbook author has as much or more to do with sales as the cook's credentials.
    taracran and just1paul like this.

Christian does have a very bad attitude and arrogance about him but he also is very talented. How is that different from Gordon Ramsey and Joe Bastanich?

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger View Post
    Christian does have a very bad attitude and arrogance about him but he also is very talented. How is that different from Gordon Ramsey and Joe Bastanich?
    Christian hasn't earned the right to be arrogant, when he has multiple restaurants and has the praises of the top food critics then maybe he can have an attitude. Right now he is just a little fish in a huge ocean, IMHO
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

FORT Fogey

I said it yesteday....two people would go home today and neither would be Christian.. They apparently want a Christian and his opposite in the final. It could be Ben since they saved him even though his soup, by all accounts, was vile. The Jennifer/Christian thng is just too much. If it was a romance novel, they would be falling in each other's arms by now.
    spockwhat likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I said it yesteday....two people would go home today and neither would be Christian.. They apparently want a Christian and his opposite in the final. It could be Ben since they saved him even though his soup, by all accounts, was vile. The Jennifer/Christian thng is just too much. If it was a romance novel, they would be falling in each other's arms by now.
    I liked you for the bolded part. Too funny!

Ben has had a fairly consistent pattern on his food, and maybe his error wasn't as grevious. They also know that Ben will learn from this mistake and improve upon it greatly whereas the other two they weren't sure.

I sadly agree with many though who think Christian will be one of the finalists. I don't think he deserves it, but there's not much one can do about it.

Personally, out of the three childhood dishes, I would've chosen the mac and cheese. It's the one where you can add things to it and make it gourmet but classic at the same time. It's also one where you have to know the right cheese that will melt - I'd loved to have seen one or two try to use cheddar cheese and end up with a very globby mess. (What can I say though? - I have a mean craving for some mac and cheese with Rotel Tomatoes in it.)

Now I want mac and cheese!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by taracran View Post
    Christian hasn't earned the right to be arrogant, when he has multiple restaurants and has the praises of the top food critics then maybe he can have an attitude. Right now he is just a little fish in a huge ocean, IMHO
    Weellll...actually, Ramsay had plenty of attitude even when he was just a little fish himself, from what I've read. Of course, he didn't advertise what a tool he is on reality TV before he became famous. I don't know that anyone earns the right to treat people like piles of dogcrap, like Ramsay does, even after they have successful careers. I prefer the Masterchef version of Ramsay to the Hell's Kitchen one because I find his MC approach to the chefs much more palatable (no pun intended). I also think it's better TV - if I want to hear someone screaming and cussing out people like a deranged juvenile offender, I'll watch a Jackass movie. I don't mind the harsh criticism or even the spewing out of food, but the endless tantrum behaviour really turns me off.

Anyway, yeah, Christian is proving to be a giant douchebag and Jennifer is an idiot for taking his bait. I'm in a snit because Derrick and Christine were my two favourites. I hope Joe's comment to Derrick was a hint that he'll give him a job in one of his restaurants. The "Undertaker" proved to be the class act of the season. Kudos to Joe for recognizing it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Anyway, yeah, Christian is proving to be a giant douchebag and Jennifer is an idiot for taking his bait. I'm in a snit because Derrick and Christine were my two favourites. I hope Joe's comment to Derrick was a hint that he'll give him a job in one of his restaurants. The "Undertaker" proved to be the class act of the season. Kudos to Joe for recognizing it.

Derrick was my favorite, but I just knew he was going to go. Hope he takes Joe up on his offer. I agree, Joe knows a class act when he sees it. Derrick might not have won but he has the right attitude and talent to work in a high class kitchen.
    cablejockey likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger View Post
    To a large extent, I think Ramsay's and Bastianich's bad guy acts are tv performance art. Ramsay has very different personas on his various shows. In the first years of Hell's Kitchen, he was a raving maniac and was extremely verbally abusive. At the same time, on his British Kitchen Nightmare show, he was calm and not abusive. I think the HK show called for a chef who would put the contestants through hell, so that's what Ramsay signed up for and that's what he did. And I think it brought in viewers. When Ramsay yelled at someone and called them "big boy" or "donkey," I have to admit I was amused. On the other hand, on his Kitchen Nightmare shows, he's often as much a family therapist as a restauranteur.

I think the producers of this show thought they needed a bad guy judge for the drama it produces (both with the contestants and the viewers) and they signed Joe Bastianich up to do that. JB may be arrogant in real life, but I strongly doubt that he's as nasty as he acts on this show.

And, as taracran said, Gordon and Joe have achievements to show from their cooking abilities. Christian is obviously a fine cook to have made it this far. While he is often in the top, from what I've seen, I don't think his abilities are greater than those of several of his competitors.

+ Reply to Thread