+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 207 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1044Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Re: MasterChef

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    My husband said that Christine's mistake was that she is used to making venison sausage. He said something about the fat content requiring the casings be really tight. I have no idea what he is talking about (LOL).

That team was a mess, I'm glad Max was sent home. If I had to look at his smug face in the confessionals one more time, I was going to hurt my TV.
    I also think that when she is making thme.. they do have a change to shrink due to smoking.. which would account for them having to be fuller at first.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Grew up on venison here (avid hunters of deer up here). Venison sausage depends on a lot of stuff. But here's the gist of it. Venison is considerably lower in fat than meats like chicken, pork and beef. As a result if one is going to make a traditional sausage as it appeared they were trying to do on this show with those particular casings (also grew up in a sausage making family in general) you need to add fat to the venison. Most people add some pork or beef to it as it always tones down the wild flavor of the meat. Once the extra fat is added you don't need to do anything different with your traditional sausage stuffing wise then just make sure you have steady stream of meat into your casing and no gaps.

However, what many people do with venison is make a summer sausage out of it as it is ideal for that because it's such a dry meat. So they will use a fibrous casing and stuff it tight and then smoke it or in some other way dry it out even more. But most people smoke it here. In such a case you would stuff the casing very tight.

I'm guessing they didn't use the fibrous casings on this show and if that is the sort of sausage she is familiar with making she would probably have some difficulty with the casings and type of sausage they were attempting to make. If she was accustomed to making the fat added venison sausage then there's really no excuse for her stuffing issues.

My husband said all that, I tend to go cross-eyed and start singing "La...la...la" in my head when he starts his Alton Brown impersonations lol. He's the cook in our family (I do know how to cook mostly Cajun, Spanish, Cuban, Puerto Rican but I just don't enjoy it like he does). He is a Texas farm boy and they always hunted their own meat and did whatever it is you do to meat so you can eat it later (lol). Basically he knew all the mechanics of cooking, then he met me and I taught him how to add the flavor (lol again).

I don't really have a favorite this season, I think after the fiasco that happened with the last few ones and that restaurant show it has made me hesitant to pull for any of these guys.

Maybe they should change these shows? Instead of a contract, restaurant, etc they should just hand over some cash?
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

I just watch for cooking ideas when I watch these shows. I don't care who wins and just hope the most annoying ones go early.

Though after thinking of it it would be interesting to see an episode of this show that dealt with game meat since it is its own beast to cook well.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am disappointed that we are still seeing contestants to whom we've not really been exposed to or introduced yet!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Im trying to figure out how Erryn is still in this thing, when, I can only recall maybe 30 seconds of air time thus far. The editing never seems to have his dishes discussed by the judges during elimination challenges, even. Weird. I guess hes not good or bad, just irrelevant.

I know, my complaint continues... I want to see all the food critiques!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I'd like to see more food critiques or discussion and less inter-player drama.
    just1paul likes this.

This most recent episode was surprising in that I thougght Christian was pretty okay. He suddenly took a turn into jerk territory. Nice to see Esther produce a good enough dish, though. I like her, and I'm still surprised over how I've seen some people despising her for saving herself last week when Ramsay offered her the chance to. Alejandra and Derrick are still my big favorites, though. But yes, at this point some people are just not getting any attention. We see too much of overconfident bigheaded Suzy, crass drunk Christine, and others, whereas other contestants just fade into the background. Has Erryn even said anything yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    This most recent episode was surprising in that I thougght Christian was pretty okay. He suddenly took a turn into jerk territory. Nice to see Esther produce a good enough dish, though. I like her, and I'm still surprised over how I've seen some people despising her for saving herself last week when Ramsay offered her the chance to. Alejandra and Derrick are still my big favorites, though. But yes, at this point some people are just not getting any attention. We see too much of overconfident bigheaded Suzy, crass drunk Christine, and others, whereas other contestants just fade into the background. Has Erryn even said anything yet?
    I don't remember even *seeing* Erryn before this week's episode. And even then he was barely ever in the picture. (Makes me wonder who else I missed...and why we haven't seen them until now!)

+ Reply to Thread