+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: MasterChef

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    ....Eh, this show is a farce. I don't think I'll buy Luca's book. Mainly because this show has took me on a trip, slapped me in the face and called me stupid. I like Luca, and I wish him well, but I won't buy into the Masterchef franchise.
    Agree. I didn't watch last night's episodes but came here to see what happened. A long overdue exit for Krissy - sigh. My husband said I was being childish for not wanting to watch after James was sent home after being told he was in the top 4. I told him my intelligence can only be insulted for so long.

I realize that most reality shows aren't "real". I've come to terms with it on some shows like Celebrity Apprentice. Trump's decisions as to who to send home are capricious and arbitrary. I no longer care about Trump's decisions and just watch to see how the so-called celebrities interact with each other and manage the challenges. On MC, I don't really care about the contestants - I want to see honest judging. I'll check back next week to see who wins, but I won't be watching in the future.
    Dragonlady likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Agree. I didn't watch last night's episodes but came here to see what happened. A long overdue exit for Krissy - sigh. My husband said I was being childish for not wanting to watch after James was sent home after being told he was in the top 4. I told him my intelligence can only be insulted for so long.

I realize that most reality shows aren't "real". I've come to terms with it on some shows like Celebrity Apprentice. Trump's decisions as to who to send home are capricious and arbitrary. I no longer care about Trump's decisions and just watch to see how the so-called celebrities interact with each other and manage the challenges. On MC, I don't really care about the contestants - I want to see honest judging. I'll check back next week to see who wins, but I won't be watching in the future.
    I know what you mean. I had hoped MC would be one of the few "real" Reality shows" but again it turns out to be like everything else. I still will watch it, but not with the "must see" of before.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    This had to have been against the "rules". Has it ever happened before? They're judged based on what they present. Jessie didn't present it. If she had known it was a possibility she might have tossed it in the garbage ahead of time. This is all so rigged, we can't know if it was really that deserving.

This is why she couldn't win - Another southern belle just wasn't in the cards. The judges needed an excuse or two.
    Again, I disagree - The judges see what is being made and talk about it. They knew the item was there and being made. They have in the past pointed out contestants for not including items they've made, be it they didn't get it on there before buzzer or thinking (after tasting it making their rounds) that it would've improved the dish.

And when they have three nearly equal dishes, choosing to leave something out factors. It is a competition, and as someone who has had to literally place a pair of newspaper articles because of a single typo in each (and ones that most folks wouldn't even know about), I can't say that it's a baloney reason.

Additionally, Luca also should've made a salad and was dinged for it. He survived I think more because he did cook his better.

I think the beef also not being cooked quite right lead to her downfall.

All that BS about cooking something she hadn't cooked before (perhaps had never used that cheese or that crab before either, we weren't told) was another completely BS excuse. Bri the vegetarian did terrifically with a lot of stuff she had never cooked before and was commended when her dishes turned out. I thought all the judges, at least any who said something, agreed the Kobe beef was cooked perfectly. Jessie was whacked a few competitions ago for playing it too safe too late into the competition. She said she had read a lot about Kobe, that should be enough for a talented cook to give it a try. And she was trying to leave Luca with something he couldn't handle so it was also a strategic move.
    The season before Christina won there was a winner who played it safe with a challenge, and yet she won. It was also around the same round that Jessie did the same thing. This was the same thing

Jessie may have read about it, but reading isn't the same as doing. The same winner from a couple of seasons back gave UP immunity to work with truffles and nearly lost then too. She wanted to do it because she had never used them before.

In fairness, crab and cheese tend to be the same whether the expensive kind or cheap kind. They tend to have similar items in all ranges based on melting and cooking points. I personally can tell the difference between imitation or real crab taste wise, and have figured several of the Chinese buffet places use the imitation kind probably to keep costs down.

Kobe however really doesn't have an easy one to compare itself to because of its marbling. A filet mignon alone doesn't have nearly as much marbling, and that's what she compared it to.

Luca also had problems with some beef I believe (or at least hamburger), so the reasoning was still bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Grrr! While I'm happy that Krissi didn't make it to the final two, I'm so disappointed that Jessie didn't make it. I agree with Brooks that I feel like the judges counted her down for the dish that didn't make it to her plate and that doesn't seem fair. If they hadn't tasted it, would they have thought she did enough to make it to the final two? I didn't think the problem with her noodles sounded bad enough to bring her down. Although, it was stupid of her to forget the butter and to have to ask for it from another chef.

I haven't been impressed with Luca from the beginning so I'm disappointed he made it to the end. I think Jessie is a much better cook than he is. So now I guess I'll be rooting for Natasha.

I must say that the more seasons go by, the less I like Gordon Ramsey's cooking competition shows. I stopped watching Hell's Kitchen several seasons back and Masterchef has so much manufactured drama and questionable judgements, I'm quickly losing interest in it, too. My opinion of reality shows is if the basic concept of the show is good, you don't need special twists. The more gimmicks they throw in and the more the producers manipulate the outcome, the less I like the show.
    I have to agree. I used to watch Hells Kitchen, but dumped it when it was just about tv drama. MC if its not there, is close to losing its credibility.
    I do like Kitchen Nitemares tho
    Hurting you is the last thing I want to do... but it's still on the list

Wah! I wanted Jessie to win!

I almost wonder if Jessie was told by producers/Gordon to call Krissi a cow - not referring to her large size but more in the sense of the "British slang for an annoying, stupid and/or bitchy woman. Sounds funniest when spoken in a Glasgwegian accent." (From Urban Dictionary)

Luca is a charming enough guy, but he has had numerous really bad dishes and his plate with the cheese was very heavy and greasy. I thought Jessie's plate with the kobe beef looked better, even without the salad. Why didn't they knock Luca for not putting a salad on his heavy, greasy plate? At least Jessie had some veggies!!! I wanted a Jessie/Natasha finale!
    Florimel and Photobabe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Wah! I wanted Jessie to win!

I almost wonder if Jessie was told by producers/Gordon to call Krissi a cow - not referring to her large size but more in the sense of the "British slang for an annoying, stupid and/or bitchy woman. Sounds funniest when spoken in a Glasgwegian accent." (From Urban Dictionary)

Luca is a charming enough guy, but he has had numerous really bad dishes and his plate with the cheese was very heavy and greasy. I thought Jessie's plate with the kobe beef looked better, even without the salad. Why didn't they knock Luca for not putting a salad on his heavy, greasy plate? At least Jessie had some veggies!!! I wanted a Jessie/Natasha finale!
    They DID knock Luca for not having a salad and how it would've cut the grease a bit.

Difference between him and Jessie must be - their eyes only - he didn't choose to create one and not put it on and she did but did the same thing. Maybe to these guys that is the bigger offense, to cook but essentially choose to not risk taking the knocks if it doesn't work.

I also think that calling Krissie was meant to be the above reference - some of her actions do resemble a cow's behavior. If it were her appearance, yeah, but she really did act like a cow and sometimes an angry bull (and I've had the misfortune of dealing with BOTH sexes of cattle in full steam).

Fort Member

I love the Australian and the British versions of Masterchef but the US one has bugged me since season one when the I could not understand why they chose who they did same in series 2 so since then I have only watched when nothing else is on, which unfortunately is a lot here, but I don't get too involved in it as I do think it is rigged to a certain degree
    This season is even worse as Krissi should have been taken out a long time ago, being a chef is not just about being a good cook but you have to be a good team player and leader and it has been obvious for weeks that she is neither of those so she should have been booted for just plain bad behaviour towards other contestants, why they thought the audience would keep watching because she is in it baffles me as this is not meant to be a show based on personality but on skill and ability to be a chef
    The contestants can be as dull as dishwater and like each other as long as they are cooking amazing food and presenting interesting food ideas and the judges are being honest and giving genuine critique I will watch. This often happens in the British one, there is no bitchyness or nastyness most of the contestants like each other and enjoy learning as much as creating
    I think Luca will win after 3 seasons of female winners I think they will be picking a male or risk not having any male contestants next season
    Kip likes this.

James was my favorite. He was told he had made top four but didn't.

Natasha should NEVER have made top four. She was given that spot. Soooo unfair.

Now... I'm rooting for Luca. Hope he wins!
    TripleGemini likes this.

I said from the beginning that James, Krissi and Luca were my favourites, so I'm glad at least one is in the finale. I think Luca is a surefire winner, but not just because it's time for a male to win. I'm thinking that since Christine Ha, an Asian-American, produced a successful cookbook of Asian recipes, that the Italian Luca is a good bet to put out a cookbook of Italian food that will sell well. Just a thought.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I said from the beginning that James, Krissi and Luca were my favourites, so I'm glad at least one is in the finale. I think Luca is a surefire winner, but not just because it's time for a male to win. I'm thinking that since Christine Ha, an Asian-American, produced a successful cookbook of Asian recipes, that the Italian Luca is a good bet to put out a cookbook of Italian food that will sell well. Just a thought.
    And a good thought at that.

Interesting, I was just on another site and someone had a link to pics of Bri and Krissi looking like old friends along with Krissi's son. I don't trust creative editing one bit on reality shows... and I don't even like Krissi!
    Last edited by libgirl2; 09-06-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread