+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    In all fairness (I loathe Krissi), I have severe acrophobia and I didn't find her behaviour particularly overreactive. I work on the 26th floor and can see out the window from where I sit - I have learned to tolerate that situation out of necessity, but I can't go near the window or I start hyperventilating. I also have the occasional panic attack in the elevator, and will not use one to go anywhere I don't have to. So I left the tour of New York in the lobby of the Empire State Building. Don't care how good the view is.
    When we were on vacation years ago, everyone got out to see the stunning view at the Continental Divide.... I stayed in the car in the lot far from the view.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I will concede I'm afraid of china stores to the point that I will walk about 10 feet away from them even when the doors are closed to the point that I couldn't break them if I tried...

... but if I had to go into one for a TV show contest you'd better believe I'd overcome that fear (even if brief).

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zookeepertx View Post
    Awww, now, you could've gone with Krassichef!
    How about Krustichef? Has a ring to it? :p
    Kip likes this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

Ugh! I was hoping for Bri to get her revenge against Krassi. And what was Krassi bitching about when she was the one who brought the team down? Without Graham's help they would not have a main course on the table. A group left because of her inability to cook the food. She should have been the one gone. Although I knew Bri was gone because she cooked the squid raw and she put lemon juice in her marinara (which was a point made by Krassi). If only she cooked it right, Krassi would have been gone. And I was also hoping for a double elimination.
    Shelleyrob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    No, it isn't... but she's already outside like halfway up the short set of stairs at the top of the building. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for someone who has already made it that high up to stop a couple of steps due to acrophobia.

And pardon for being callous, but two more feet isn't going to make much of a difference if you're already up there with the condition.

That's where I feel's she's honestly overacting if not overreacting. It just felt melodramatic by then... as though they're trying to give her sympathy or have understanding or whatnot.
    I had to deliver a package to someone on the 40th floor of a building with floor to ceiling, wraparound windows. I couldn't make it more than three feet into the office before I had a full-fledged panic attack and had to go back out, where I leaned against the wall and hyperventilated for about ten minutes. And that was my job at stake, not a reality show. She's an a-hole, but her reaction may very well be genuine if my own experiences are anything to go by.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I hated this episode. First of all, I don't see the point of making them cook in a restaurant kitchen. They are supposed to be home cooks, so it's not reasonable to expect them to perform in that setting. The MC prize has zero to do with restaurant cuisine or a job as a chef. Also, if I want a Ramsay meltdown, I can watch Hell's Kitchen or Kitchen Nightmares (US and UK versions, thankyouverymuch).

Second, fried calamari? Ewwwww. After the complaining about dishes that look like "Sunday dinner" - I do believe both Krissi and Jessie got those critiques at some point - the pressure test is a chain-restaurant appie staple? What's next week, loaded nachos? Potato skins? Now I know most places use frozen squid and the MC chefs were required to dismember an actual creature, but a platter of breaded deep-fried squid and a bowl of marinara isn't fine dining. All that was missing was garlic cheese bread crusts to mop up the rest of the sauce.
    Ellen, just1paul and Photobabe like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I don't see the restaurant challenge as all that different from the cooking for the wedding guests challenge, the cooking for surfers challenge, cooking for firemen challenge, etc. Personally, I'd prefer all individual challenges, but that doesn't create as much drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I don't see the restaurant challenge as all that different from the cooking for the wedding guests challenge, the cooking for surfers challenge, cooking for firemen challenge, etc. Personally, I'd prefer all individual challenges, but that doesn't create as much drama.
    I'm also not crazy about those challenges. I would support a challenge that would, say, have each MC create a menu and then prepare a wedding dinner, then be judged on the usual taste and visual appeal in addition to how well it could be executed on a large scale for an actual event. Less drama, true.

My mom is a truly amazing cook and baker. Lots of people say that about their mothers but my mom is actually talented, and everyone who has sat at her table agrees. She doesn't "plate", but the quality of her food is top-notch. She is also as slow as molasses with her preparation, and always has been. I age five years just watching her chop an onion (mind you, it has been years since I've had patience to watch - I just take the damn knife from her and do the chopping myself now). When she watches cooking shows she just marvels at the speed of the food prep. Her food is easily good enough for a "best home-cook" show like MC, but she would never be able to keep up with the speed expected at the challenges, even if she was 40 years younger.
    Ellen and Florimel like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    No, it isn't... but she's already outside like halfway up the short set of stairs at the top of the building. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for someone who has already made it that high up to stop a couple of steps due to acrophobia.

And pardon for being callous, but two more feet isn't going to make much of a difference if you're already up there with the condition.
    I've overcome a lot of my fear of heights but that awful scary feeling inside does not go away...just learned to do SOME things where height is involved.
    Yes, those 2 feet could make a difference. I couldn't be out in the open that high up but I could probably climb up to where Krissi was, feeling I was a little more protected all hunched down w/the stairwell around me....out in the open would be just too scary.

Krissi is a hateful rude crude person on this show. But I really think that a lot of it is an act. I think her feisty disposition opened up an opportunity for TPTB to see a great chance for extra drama. We may never know but I think it's mostly an act.
    just1paul likes this.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I agree that it is ridiculous to have these home cooks working as professional chefs in 5 star restaurants expecting them to be able to keep up (with GR screaming at them). The point of the competition is to find the best HOME cook in the country - not the best professional chef. And, why do they have to do an episode of Hell's Kitchen? They certainly didn't sign up for that circus of a show. Oh brother!!

+ Reply to Thread