+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1044Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

I saw a commercial for the Junior show - Yeah I don't know. They showed what looked like them doing a tag team competition and one kid was yelling at their teammate and not in a nice way. I might still give it a try but I find too many of the kids come off acting too privileged even worse then when the adults do it.

Years ago (think 2007 and the Kid Nation fiasco) I embarked on a personal, Quixotic-like quest to refuse to watch any "REALITY" show featuring children. It sickens me to think about networks/producers eagerly exploiting kids in order to make boatloads of cash. They will use the same formula that entices us to watch adults in reality shows: created drama; manufactured characters; contrived story lines. The previews for MC Junior seem to indicate it is being true to the formula.

Unfortunately, besides not being developmentally ready to understand all the possible negative consequences, children cannot give informed consent. Children can't possibly fathom why they are being portrayed as the brat, or the smart one, or the precocious one, etc. These are real kids, not actors. They will be judged and criticized by strangers on their real behavior. It is very disturbing, especially since, in most states, kids appearing on reality shows are not given the same legal and financial protections (i.e., Coogan Laws) as child actors have.

Whew! I almost hurt myself with that rant! Hopping down off the box now!
    spockwhat likes this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

The only show I ever like with kids is Jeopardy when they have the kids on.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MasterChef needs its own thread on the main page!

Just had to pop in and say Woot! Bree's back! Yay! Take that Krissy.
    Shoepie, Photobabe and JohnnyK like this.

I find myself liking the U.K. version which seems to be more about cooking and less about forced drama. I'm currently watching the U.K. MasterChef Professionals season.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Most American reality shows are about forced drama.

Quote Originally Posted by just1paul View Post
    The only show I ever like with kids is Jeopardy when they have the kids on.
    I like to play along with Jeopardy so I find kids' week is a waste of time. There isn't much thrill in feeling smarter than a 12 year old.
    JohnnyK likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

I will not be watching the junior version. I can barely tolerate the adult one this season with how ugly and nasty Krassy is and the way the judges are encouraging her behavior. They have ruined any desire I may have of seeing a spin-off of this show.
    Florimel and zookeepertx like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    I like to play along with Jeopardy so I find kids' week is a waste of time. There isn't much thrill in feeling smarter than a 12 year old.
    Except when you are not
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fan

I plan on watching the junior edition...at least giving it a try. I enjoy watching GR, and I've seen glimpses of him with kids on various shows, including his own kids. I think he's good with kids and a softie at heart, so I'm curious to see the spin-off.

+ Reply to Thread