+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrant View Post
    That wasn't Joe who offered Kathy a job, though, it was Gordon, and she's confirmed on Twitter that she's accepted it. Now, Bime wasn't offered a job by the judges, but after his performance on the show, it seems he was offered a job as a chef in a restaurant, which he also accepted and is currently working on, as we can see here:
    Thanks, Rembrant! And thanks for letting us know how Bime is doing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I'm as prone as anyone to dislike a "persona" I see on some of these shows (I believe I referred to Timothy on Project Runway as a hypocritical idiot because of his ridiculous claims to be so environmentally aware while he wears polyester shoes with sparkles that will NEVER decompose in a dump. They'll have to be burned, and will cause MAJOR holes in the ozone layer.)

Anyway, I found this article by Ben Starr - who has been on Master Chef - to be revealing. I do wish Krissi would tone down her rhetoric, but I seem to remember that the some of the "mean girls" were on her from week one. I tend to see a bundle of insecurity masquerading as a tough girl when I see her.
    Thanks, AZ. I not only read Ben's blog but also the comments and answers to them below the blog. It was VERY enlightening. Lesson learned. In reality TV nothing is as it seems.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Call me heartless, but I really don't care how much stress these people are under. I don't care that they are worrying about having lost their jobs, I don't care that they may have lost their homes, I don't care about any of it. Why? Because it's not like reality shows are a new thing. They've been around for years. I feel no sympathy for these people because by now they know exactly what they are signing on for so if anything, I think they are even more deserving of my scorn for going into something so unprepared.

None of this gives any of them permission to act the way Krissi (and others like her) have acted. I'm not going to excuse bad behavior especially on such a flimsy premise. She knew what this was all about and she chose to act this way, so deal with the fallout.

Anyways, LOL that Ben Starr article made me roll my eyes and probably had the exact opposite affect on me then what he intended.
    Ellen, Florimel, spockwhat and 3 others like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post
    Call me heartless, but I really don't care how much stress these people are under. I don't care that they are worrying about having lost their jobs, I don't care that they may have lost their homes, I don't care about any of it. Why? Because it's not like reality shows are a new thing. They've been around for years. I feel no sympathy for these people because by now they know exactly what they are signing on for so if anything, I think they are even more deserving of my scorn for going into something so unprepared.

None of this gives any of them permission to act the way Krissi (and others like her) have acted. I'm not going to excuse bad behavior especially on such a flimsy premise. She knew what this was all about and she chose to act this way, so deal with the fallout.

Anyways, LOL that Ben Starr article made me roll my eyes and probably had the exact opposite affect on me then what he intended.
    I agree with everything you said. Stress and all that is no excuse to act like a complete jerk, especially when you know what you're getting yourself into.

Oh, and I was just checking Twitter, and just a couple of hours ago, Kathy tweeted a picture of herself in her work jacket. It seems she's started working today at Gordon's restaurant. It's quite nice to see two contestants who were eliminated quite early managed to make the most out of their short time on the competition and now work at what they enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000 View Post

While I understand it isn't easy you bring up a good point.... you have to know what you are going into! One, its not like Reality TV is new and two, MC has been around for awhile.

I can understand some of Krissi's behavior, but it seems she was this way before the show. If she has issues, MC didn't cause them.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I think my big problem with all of this is the sheer desperation of some of these people. They put their jobs, their families, their houses and everything else on the line for the off chance that they may win some reality show competition. Then they act out because they can't handle the stress of it all.

It seems to me that for the most part that the ones who win are the ones who go into it with the right attitude and not so desperate.

I would never enter a competition if doing so could cause me to lose my job or my home!! I just don't understand that mentality. Ben Starr said in that article that we should keep in mind that some of these people are worried that they may not have a job to go home to and that some have had their houses foreclosed on while in a competition.

I did a double take on that one. So, we are supposed to feel sorry for them because of this? Errrr.....no. I don't. If you are in that extreme of dire straits then the very last thing you should be doing is entering a reality show competition. Therefore, no sympathy from me.
    Ellen, libgirl2, spockwhat and 3 others like this.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I agree wholeheartedly, Harmony2000, and would like to add that if reality tv can bring out the worst in everybody... I much prefer the worst of a Jessie or a Bri to the worst of Krissi!

And I liked Ben his season but wah.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenStar from his blog posted by AZChristian
    For the record, I have a day job and virtually every penny of that day job has been spent keeping myself “visible” to the public in various ways since MasterChef finished airing. I have spent FAR more on keeping myself a public figure than I’ve EVER made from opportunities stemming from MasterChef. And I don’t have the kind of funds to afford a publicist
    I thought he wanted to be a chef? Or, just famous? If his sole reason for going on the show is the fame, well, I'm not going to cry for the process he went through to get himself there. Masterchef gave him a name he would not have had otherwise.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

FORT Fogey

^^^ He does want to be a chef and if your name is known you will have more success. The Top Chef contestants get their restaurants rolling quiclkly because the they become household words and fans want to try their food. When Sam opened his restaurant in NYC people flocked to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    That episode screamed rigged for Bri to leave. It turned out that she got no advantage of all because of the team switching ploy, but instead was put at a disadvantage.

I'm also disturbed by how they try to eliminate their strongest competitors. In a "game" where the goal is to find the most talented person with the best skills, I would think you would want to beat the best, not the weakest. That holds true for me whether it is cooking, singing, dancing, designing, etc.
    I am probably the only one that did not think that this was rigged for Bri to go home or that making them switch team gave her a disadvantage. Sure she didn't get to work with the original team she picked but then neither did Natasha and she won with her changed team. Bri and her new team seemed to work well together and they did put together a pretty good dish. From the way the judges talked it seemed close. There was no guarantee that Bri would have won with her original team as we have no way of knowing what their dish would have been. Remember Natasha had input on Bri's original team so we don't know if they would have cooked the same dish with Bri's input. Bri went home because she messed up in the pressure test.

As for the second part I so agree. You would think they would want to be beating the best of the best and not the weakest.

Quote Originally Posted by march View Post
    I am probably the only one that did not think that this was rigged for Bri to go home or that making them switch team gave her a disadvantage. Sure she didn't get to work with the original team she picked but then neither did Natasha and she won with her changed team. Bri and her new team seemed to work well together and they did put together a pretty good dish. From the way the judges talked it seemed close. There was no guarantee that Bri would have won with her original team as we have no way of knowing what their dish would have been. Remember Natasha had input on Bri's original team so we don't know if they would have cooked the same dish with Bri's input. Bri went home because she messed up in the pressure test.

As for the second part I so agree. You would think they would want to be beating the best of the best and not the weakest.
    I didn't think it was rigged, but if it was, not my worry. I will still watch
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread