+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1044Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

I'm so not a fan of Gordon Ramsey or anyone else who curses at and belittles people the way he does. If he does it only on tv, then that's the way I respond to him regardless of whatever good he might do elsewhere. If anyone ever spoke to me in such a fashion, I'd turn my back and walk out. If it happened to be an employer or potential employer, I'd report their conduct. And if this were a few decades ago, I'd have slapped them in the face before turning my back and walking away. There is no excuse for calling people names as he does and not all Americans find it entertaining.
    Uncle David and ibot2much like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I'm so not a fan of Gordon Ramsey or anyone else who curses at and belittles people the way he does. If he does it only on tv, then that's the way I respond to him regardless of whatever good he might do elsewhere. If anyone ever spoke to me in such a fashion, I'd turn my back and walk out. If it happened to be an employer or potential employer, I'd report their conduct. And if this were a few decades ago, I'd have slapped them in the face before turning my back and walking away. There is no excuse for calling people names as he does and not all Americans find it entertaining.
    I'm not arguing with you, but there is precedent for his methods. I doubt he spends much time in his restaurants nowadays, but as a chef he definitely was verbally abusive to his staff and he was trained in the field in much the same way. (In fact, another Euro celeb chef, Marco Pierre White, reportedly made a young Gordon Ramsay cry when he worked for him.) I don't know if it's a European thing or a chef-as-tempermental-artist thing, but it's accepted. They play by different rules. But young chefs know what they're getting into when they choose to go into that situation. Lots of people are looking for fame and have put up with a lot worse than what Ramsay dishes out on TV.

However, Masterchef is a show that has a lot going for it without Ramsay doing his tantrum act. This show is good as it is. We already know Ramsay can be a d***, let him be his saner MC self once a week.
    Shoepie likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Ajane, Yes, I know there is precedent for it and it is not uncommon behavior for boss chefs to treat their underlings this way. There was even an hysterically funny BBC sitcom called Chef, starring Lenny Henry that was based entirely on this premise and I loved it.

I know you are 100% correct that younger chefs expect it, but that doesn't make it right or acceptable to me. I know that people always got more more out of me through instruction teamed with courtesy than with browbeating. Just different strokes, I guess.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

These people are not professional chefs and the program has gotten popular without the screaming......I commented on the turn toward Hell's Kitchen as soon as this episode was over. It should stop and return to what it was originally

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    These people are not professional chefs and the program has gotten popular without the screaming......I commented on the turn toward Hell's Kitchen as soon as this episode was over. It should stop and return to what it was originally
    One of my favorite chefs Jacques Pepin commented about getting screamed at when he was younger on one episode of one of his shows. Unless they are only competing for a job at one of the chef's kitchens, don't yell.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    One of my favorite chefs Jacques Pepin commented about getting screamed at when he was younger on one episode of one of his shows. Unless they are only competing for a job at one of the chef's kitchens, don't yell.
    My ex BIL is a chef. He often came home in tears when he was training. He was yelled at often. I am glad he didn't quit, he's quite well known in London.
    Shoepie likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I thought it was unnecessary and took this show down a peg, having Ramsey do it Hell's Kitchen schtick.
    When will these people understand we DON'T need added un-real drama to keep us watching???
    Duckyface and JohnnyK like this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Agreed, Dragonlady. However, the bottom line is always the big picture for tv shows and this is how it stands for the two shows before the season started:

HELL’S KITCHEN, which is airing its 11th season, currently ranks as TV’s No. 1 cooking show in Total Viewers, while MASTERCHEF finished its third season as a Top 5 summer series and was the only summer show to post year-over-year gains. In fact, this past summer, Ramsay’s shows accounted for four of the Top 6 entertainment programs among Adults 18-49 in broadcast primetime and all three of the Top 3 programs among Adults 18-34.
    by Zaptoit/Tvbythenumbers Written By Amanda Kondolojy

Interesting to note that Masterchef has had year over year gains as it became increasingly dramatic. They may attribute one to the other.

Also, the most interesting point of the article to me is that they are starting a "Junior Masterchef" for young kids of age 8 to 13 to showcase their talents in the kitchen!
    Dragonlady likes this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

I do local as much as possible. Challenging in the winter but we eat extra root veggies then and hydroponic. It will be easier when I don't have teenagers to feed
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

New episode is on.

Eddie won the Mystery Box and is immune for this episode.

+ Reply to Thread