+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: MasterChef

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Not surprised that Kathy was sent home.... it was almost like they kept upping the ante until she failed. They couldn't send her home based on the eggs benedict (seemed like Natasha would have gone home for that challenge), so the BurGR challenge was next. That wasn't enough to single her out either (Beth burned buns and Luca's burgers were raw), hence the lobster challenge.

I liked seeing BurGR. We are going to Vegas again in Nov. and want to try any GR restaurant we can - this was a good promo for the restaurant!
    We had dinner at the Gordon Ramsay Steakhouse at the Paris hotel. The food was amazing (Beef Wellington and Steak Tartare), but the place was horribly loud and the tables were too close together. And, of course, VERY expensive.
    Cornholio likes this.

Boo! I thought Kathy tried way harder than Luca, they kept him - the Italian stallion for their own reasons. Natasha is super annoying. I really don't like her at all.
    OMG I want lobster now, and I mean now!

The burgers looked gross, this isn't HK, so I hope they don't do this again
    Shoepie and Cornholio like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

It was cool that Gordon offered Kathy the opportunity to work at his restaurant in New York. I think she got ripped off as her lobster was cooked much better. There's more drama with Luca, I guess.
    Kip and Shoepie like this.

FORT Fogey

I hope Kathy is able to take Gordon up on his offer. It involves moving to NYC and that is an expensive proposition let alone complications of relocating her family. Perhaps she lives there and why he made the offer. She didn't seem to react much to that. I guess the devastation of her loss overshadowed it for that moment.

I think a deciding factor in letting Kathy go was the question, did you think you would get this far? She answered, no. Had she had the confidence to say, yes I did and I think I can win this, the results may have been different. Gordon is big on fighting for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Lobster is just too good for me to be turned off by how its cooked. I remember when I was child at summer camp in Maine. The camp paid for a trip for any camper or counselor who had been there four years or longer. We went out on a lobster boat to an island where we each picked a lobster from a basket and then cooked it over a campfire, so I learned about that very early. That's really fresh lobster. The first year I went on that trip, it cost us eight cents for our lobster. The last year I went it was up to one dollar. Yummy!
    As I live here in Maine, I was shocked to see how they pierced the lobster, cut it up, and then cooked it- I've never seen that done. We just use a small amount of water and a can of beer and half boil/half steam them in the shell. They take about 10-20 minutes until completely cooked. I would think cooking them in pieces would make it more rubbery- then again I like my lobster steamed and dipped in butter. That's it. I'm a lobster purist, I guess. Gordon might call that dish "butter poached lobster", but on a menu here in Maine, you'll see it as "Lazy Man's Lobster" (or something like that)- meaning that the chef did all the work for you by taking it out of the shell and dropping it in the butter. Sacrilege, really!
    Kip and Florimel like this.

FORT Fogey

The show is takng on Hells Kitchen characteristics and I don't like that. Too much screaming Gordon!! Screaming "Let's go" isn't going to make the burger cook any faster.

Too bad they went with Cauliflower Puree in the steak challenge----I don't see that being a popular vegetable. Natasha screwed up on that one
    Florimel likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much
    Too bad they went with Cauliflower Puree in the steak challenge----I don't see that being a popular vegetable. Natasha screwed up on that one
    I totally agree! These are firefighters... hardworking people that know how to eat a meal... potatoes seemed a given as one of the sides.

I despised the conversation between Natasha and Beth. It was ridiculous and dramatic.
    Beth: (for all intensive purposes) said Natasha's food was disgusting.
    Natasha: naturally got defensive at being told this but over-reacted.
    Beth: *bursts into tears* (like, how dare you talk to me like that)

Beth is a flake. OF COURSE Natasha was going to react negatively. If you can dish it, Beth, you better learn to take it. Yeesh. Really stupid interaction there. WHY do we have to have such a catty bunch of cooks?

It was a decent episode, but drawn out way too long. And, for the record, I hate Walmart.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

I was happy they kept Luca but not just because I like him. A lot of time on this show, they keep someone who has "heart" and let go someone who is a better cook. From that final challenge alone, Luca deserved to win.

Luca: Fair lobster, good side, good presentation
    Kathy: Good lobster, poor side, poor presentation

If the achievement of each element were assigned one point, Luca would have something like a 2.5 where Kathy would only have a 1

That whole hysterical crying nonsense made me want to slap the shyte out of that woman.

PS spockwhat - FYI - it's "for all intents and purposes"
    dzigner, spockwhat and Jezebella like this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    As I live here in Maine, I was shocked to see how they pierced the lobster, cut it up, and then cooked it- I've never seen that done. We just use a small amount of water and a can of beer and half boil/half steam them in the shell. They take about 10-20 minutes until completely cooked. I would think cooking them in pieces would make it more rubbery- then again I like my lobster steamed and dipped in butter. That's it. I'm a lobster purist, I guess. Gordon might call that dish "butter poached lobster", but on a menu here in Maine, you'll see it as "Lazy Man's Lobster" (or something like that)- meaning that the chef did all the work for you by taking it out of the shell and dropping it in the butter. Sacrilege, really!
    I think for the butter poached they had to boil rather than steam so the entire shell was exposed to the same degree of heat for the membrane to seperate. I steam lobster for 10 minutes, 20 is too overly done for me.

Lazy lobster is different; it is not poached. It is fully cooked by steaming or boiling and removed from the shell in the kitchen and usually doused in a butter sauce. I prefer a simple steamed or boiled lobster so I can get every morsel out of the shell. I always get the females for the eggs and make a stock for bisque out of the shells and eggs. YUM. I am getting myself one today. It is an easy quick meal for one and so delicious!
    Maybaybie likes this.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    I was happy they kept Luca but not just because I like him. A lot of time on this show, they keep someone who has "heart" and let go someone who is a better cook. From that final challenge alone, Luca deserved to win.

Luca: Fair lobster, good side, good presentation
    Kathy: Good lobster, poor side, poor presentation

If the achievement of each element were assigned one point, Luca would have something like a 2.5 where Kathy would only have a 1

That whole hysterical crying nonsense made me want to slap the shyte out of that woman.
    Agree that Luca was the obvious winner here. Unfortunately, it took us an hour to find out what we already knew.

PS spockwhat - FYI - it's "for all intents and purposes"
    Yes, yes, it is. Crazy, I wrote that.
    The question is, did she have intensive purposes as well? Goodness knows, it got intense. And dramatic. And stupid, quickly. heehee.
    MiaT2 likes this.
    Happy Birthday, sir, despite the circumstances.--John Green

+ Reply to Thread