+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1045Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: MasterChef

I had no problem with Jordan saving himself; as he said, it is a competition and every man for himself.
    I agree with this.
    Florimel likes this.

Props to Jessie for the moment they said 'ready...set...cook', she grabbed her hair and tied it back. Thank you, Team Captain!

I was a little miffed about the cheesecake challenge and can understand why some of them looked like crap and the judges had them make a topping for them... most cheesecakes crack- it's very hard to make one and not have that happen- in fact I would go as far to say that is the number one complaint most people have about cooking them, but not ONE mention of it last night. To get a really perfect cheesecake, you need to cook it in a water bath and leave it in the oven to cool down as the oven does- for about 4 or 5 hours. Can you make one and not do that? Yes, but most recipes I've seem (and made) do have this as the final step. I call BS on the fact they could make, bake, chill, and decorate a cheesecake in 90 minutes. Even if they made it (15 minutes), baked it (45 minutes)- that only leaves 30 minutes to chill and decorate. I'd be surprised if something that dense can chill in that amount of time- they must have super-duper chilling fridges there.

I also noticed they didn't show a single 'naked' cheesecake in any of the shots- I'm sure that's because many of them cracked. Oh well- still enjoy the show!

Ok....done with my cheesecake rant now.

On a completely different note....was anyone surprised Luca picked cupcakes and not a layer cake? I would say a layer cake is 100x harder to make and have look nice than a cupcake, which I'm pretty sure a trained monkey could make (and would've probably looked better than Jessie's!)
    Florimel likes this.

I like this group. I loved all the children. I kept yelling meat sauce not meatballs, until hubby said they get it

I really like James and Bethy - not that fond of Jordan, but the guy can cook
    Luca reminds me of someone and I thought he would choose the layered cake, not cupcakes.
    I still like Howard, he just needs to relax
    Good show
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    Props to Jessie for the moment they said 'ready...set...cook', she grabbed her hair and tied it back. Thank you, Team Captain!

I was a little miffed about the cheesecake challenge and can understand why some of them looked like crap and the judges had them make a topping for them... most cheesecakes crack- it's very hard to make one and not have that happen- in fact I would go as far to say that is the number one complaint most people have about cooking them, but not ONE mention of it last night. To get a really perfect cheesecake, you need to cook it in a water bath and leave it in the oven to cool down as the oven does- for about 4 or 5 hours. Can you make one and not do that? Yes, but most recipes I've seem (and made) do have this as the final step. I call BS on the fact they could make, bake, chill, and decorate a cheesecake in 90 minutes. Even if they made it (15 minutes), baked it (45 minutes)- that only leaves 30 minutes to chill and decorate. I'd be surprised if something that dense can chill in that amount of time- they must have super-duper chilling fridges there.

I also noticed they didn't show a single 'naked' cheesecake in any of the shots- I'm sure that's because many of them cracked. Oh well- still enjoy the show!

Ok....done with my cheesecake rant now.

On a completely different note....was anyone surprised Luca picked cupcakes and not a layer cake? I would say a layer cake is 100x harder to make and have look nice than a cupcake, which I'm pretty sure a trained monkey could make (and would've probably looked better than Jessie's!)

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I like this group. I loved all the children. I kept yelling meat sauce not meatballs, until hubby said they get it

I really like James and Bethy - not that fond of Jordan, but the guy can cook
    Luca reminds me of someone and I thought he would choose the layered cake, not cupcakes.
    I still like Howard, he just needs to relax
    Good show
    Ha. I love to cook and I was sitting there saying "they need a water bath" and "they should do a meat sauce"

My son's GF just kind of looked at me and said "what?" so I explained there was no time to cook all those meat balls let alone roll them and that the steam in the oven of a water bath helps the cheesecake.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

FORT Fogey

Good for Jordan for saving himself. I believe last year a team leader failed to do this and was eliminated. I like Jordan.

Very curious as to why Luca did not choose the layer cake, too. I would have liked to have heard his reasoning.

They have blast coolers so the cheese cakes cooled quickly. They have one on Chopped, too. I also think they do some creative things with the timing because there were a lot of cheese cakes! I have never baked one so nice to know they need a water bath. With the Cheesecake Factory close by who needs to bake one? Those cannot be beat. YUM!

I wish I had gotten a better look at the pantry for the kids. I would have made fried rice. You can add chicken, corn and anything green easily. A side of some carrot sticks to make the plate colorful and that would have been a winner. What kid doesn't eat this when in a Chinese restaurant? My kids loved it, along with Pu Pu plater fare, of course!

I love this show.

It was interesting to see Natasha was not chosen early in the picking. She can cook so it was her personality that has everyone turned off. Seems like she is fading into the background and the drama is now between Jordan and krissy.

FORT Fogey

I remember a team leader who said that she came to cook and passed on the save. I do recall that she was in the bottom three and came close to going home. Maybe that one was different that the one you mentioned......but so why risk it when you can be saved to cook another day?

Krissy was kind of a pain with her stomping around complaining. Since she had a baking background, I was glad that she didn't do anything special in either of the baking challenges.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    I remember a team leader who said that she came to cook and passed on the save. I do recall that she was in the bottom three and came close to going home. Maybe that one was different that the one you mentioned......but so why risk it when you can be saved to cook another day?

Krissy was kind of a pain with her stomping around complaining. Since she had a baking background, I was glad that she didn't do anything special in either of the baking challenges.
    That is probably what I remember. It gave warning to all who follow to save themselves. I remember Gordon saying, if you have a chance to save yourself why would you not? Something to the effect. He basically said save yourself, for cryin out loud!
    Florimel likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    I was surprised. For me, cookies would have been easiest, then cupcakes, and yes, a layer cake 100x harder.

Regarding cheesecakes, I had always thought the water bath was to prevent the sides from cooking too quickly, but when i researched it, a lot of sites said the point of the water bath was to generate steam and that could be accomplished by putting separate pans of water in the oven. I was surprised that no one on last night's show used a water bath.

Also it seems like this thread has more interest than others on the main page. Go Masterchef!
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

If this show were to become a forum I could go right ahead and create the bios. Even for the eliminated chefs so far if that's needed (Sasha, Malcolm, Adriana)
    Florimel likes this.

+ Reply to Thread