+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1044Likes

Thread: MasterChef seasons 1-4

Re: MasterChef

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    A bunch of others are rejected.

Former NFL player Eddie is next. I tried looking him up but can't find his last name, in case he was recognizable. He played with the Patriots.

He throws a football to Joe but GE catches it.

Eddie's making jerk meatloaf.

Joe votes yes, GE votes no, and GR sends him... through. Thought so.
    I was a little surprised by Graham's vote because his comment was that the meatloaf was delicious, but the dish was "a little sloppy for me so was just not enough." When I think of other contestants they took in the past who had really terrible presentation, but were in the final group and did quite well this seemed a little harsh for him...unless it was done to add more suspense to the show...hmmm..I'm always suspicious when it comes to reality shows...lol
    Last edited by JenCos; 05-23-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Luca's back!

He tells GR, the deciding vote last year, that he broke Luca's heart, his wife's heart, his mother's heart, all of America's and all of Italy's heart.

Joe votes yes (again), GE loves the pasta but doesn't like the sauce. He votes no. It's all down to GR. Again. He says yes this time.

Luca's through!

That's it. See you next week.
    Interesting Luca voted his own dish a 6.5 out of 10....yet would feel that was enough to be put through. Just a little better than average. I remember Luca from last year and hope he does well....seems like a nice guy....and after all his pasta was delicious despite the too much salt.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

In the season promo at the beginning of the episode, there were a number of faces we saw today that were shown to be part of the actual competition. I won't post who since it would probably count as a spoiler. Are we already getting down to it next week?

We're back.

Some woman's making raw mushrooms with a brownie. Some other woman makes mac and cheese with breastmilk.

Gordon tells someone that she has the worst starting dish ever, to which she replies "Thank you".

Them and a few others are rejected.
    Minor correction here, it was Joe, not GR.

The auditions weren't that interesting, but there were some genuinely likeable people whom I hope make it into the top 18. My favorites right now, in order of appearance in the episodes, are Adriana, Bime, Jessie, Sasha and Luca, who I'm happy to see return.

Two things I didn't care for, though. One, too much emphassis by the judges on the whole issue about "you're too nice, the competition will eat you alive and you'll fold" and also "I just don't think you're passionate enough". I absolutely hate it when they do that. They should just if the food tastes good and leave it at that.

The other thing that bothered me, actually made me mad as hell. Bime's dish that he auditioned with, the mofongo with shrimp, which looked quite good and Gordon and Graham certainly liked it well enough. But then Bastianich, who seems to have really upped the levels of smug jerk this season (and it's just starting!) made himself look like an ignorant a-hole by calling Bime a faker and saying the dish was some "shrimp scampi with plantain thrown in there and he was calling it something else). I wanted to punch him in the larynx! As a Puertorican myself, I was offended to the nth degree. How is this supposedly culinary savvy guy (who ain't even a chef) judging a cooking competition and he doesn't know what is one of, if not the, most iconic dish in Puertorican cuisine? Man, I'm still seething.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I have a thread for upcoming reality show start dates but it's under Other Reality Shows in the General Reality Discussion area, not on the main page.

Here's a link to it: Upcoming reality shows to look forward to!
    I run into it from time to time but it gets buried very quickly since it is not a very active thread. A main page thread, "shows about to air", no discussion would be ideal. I find out eventually, often missing first episode. Ah well, not that big a deal. Thanks for starting that thread though.

FORT Fogey

I am never fond of audition episodes but I kind of like them on this show. I do let it record for awhile so I can FF through those long walks and family stuff, that helps.

The black woman with the fried chicken and big personality was such a cliche. I found her annoying and not witty at all. She had the judges in the palm of her hand, though. She tells Joe, with red pocket square, that her favorite color is red and he says thank you! Now that was funny.

I missed what the dish was from the guy Joe said was the guy to beat. It had circles of green sauce on one side of he plate and corn was an ingredient on the dish. They all leaped to finish it when he left. Does anyone remember? Note to self: do not delete so quickly.

Now we have a fire dancer, a magician, a robot, a farmer, a metalhead, and some butternut squash artist. Magician's through, not sure about the others. Looks like robot and farmer got the axe.
    No, they LIKED the robot, it was its date they didn't care for, LOL.

(Thanks for all the recaps!)
    JohnnyK likes this.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I liked the guy who wore his mother's apron, the blond yacht stewardess, and Luca. Don't care if I never see Sasha again; her schtick will get old real fast.

It amazes me that there are so many amateur chefs out there who can turn out such amazing food, but Ramsay's production crew can't find 16 really decent chefs to compete on Hell's Kitchen. I don't mind one or two for drama, but it's starting to feel like 14 for drama and only two capable chefs.
    CupidGuest likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Some of that stuff the people made for the auditions, I wouldn't even taste if I was the judges. Macaroni and cheese made from breast milk??? Eww! I presume it was the auditioners own breast milk because where else would she get it? Besides the ick factor of drinking some stranger's breast milk, I'm sure it wouldn't have been pasteurized like cow's milk is so I would worry about how sanitary it is.

I also thought the beaver tail was a mistake. In his intro, I thought the contestant said it was roadkill but then he told the judges he shot it. Once again, if it wasn't commercially prepared, I'd be concerned about how sanitary it was. Someone who doesn't know how to properly dress and butcher wild game can make you very sick.

I, also, was turned off by Luca and other contestants who rated their dishes kind of low or said they could do better and then expected to be put through. Some of them said "Give me a chance and I'll show you what I can do!". The audition IS their chance to show what they can do! They can't give a half-hearted effort and expect to be chosen for the show based on a promise to do better later. If they've got it, now is the time to show it!
    CupidGuest and Shoepie like this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

I'll anticipate enjoying several of the chefs once we see who actually makes it to the real show. I hope that Sasha does not; I could watch her only with the sound muted. Being that loud is a turnoff for me and one reason I enjoy watching movies at home rather than in a theater with the volume turned up to maximum. I did not like the judges criticizing contestants whose food they liked, but didn't like their quiet demeanor. I find them a lot more entertaining to watch than loud and obnoxious, which is one of the many reasons I don't watch Hell's Kitchen.
    pikachu and Shoepie like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread