+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FORT Interview with Eric Apple

LG.

FORT Interview with Eric Apple

Back in February, Meet My Folks aired an episode with the Scantlins family, featuring three young men vying for a trip to Hawaii with Melana Scantlin. The FORT previously posted an interview with the winner of that show, Eric Ferch, and now we have had the opportunity to interview the runner-up, Eric Apple, who went by Apple on the show.

FORT: Hi Apple, thanks for agreeing to an interview with us. Itís been a couple months since the episode of Meet My Folks has aired. Do people recognize you from the show?

Apple: I donít know if people really recognize me from the show. A few people did the first couple of weeks after it aired. Mostly people I knew would mention they saw it and I would tell them to shut up!! (haha)

FORT: In our interview with Eric Ferch, he remarked that it was edited out that you were busting on him for sucking up to the parents. Did you think he was playing to the parents instead of Melana to win a trip? Were you interested in dating Melana, winning the trip, and/or just being on tv?

Apple: As far as Eric Ferch. He was just a dork. Heís a nice guy and all, but heís the kind of guy my friends and I would make fun of. He's just a little pansy, and he really didnít have much to fire back with when I teased him. He seemed like he was a super kiss ass. I donít think it was so much the trip that made him act that way, I think he really is that annoying goody two shoes that was the teachers pet and the taddle tale. Plus, I would agree thatís it possible that he just wanted to be on TV.

FORT: Had you seen prior episodes of the show before filming and did you know what to expect?

Apple: I had never seen the show before. When they called me about it, I went to the production company thinking they wanted me to host a show on NBC. I have been a TV host for 4 years or so. I do shows like the X-Games, Motoworld, 54321, and ABC's Wide World of Sports. I also host the PPV show for King of the Cage, the next one being May 16th from Vegas. I had no idea
    what to expect, but I expected it to be somewhat scripted.

FORT: Had you seen a picture of Melana or received any information about her before filming? Are you still in touch with Melana or anyone else from the show?

Apple: I wasn't supposed to know about Melana before the show, but that doesn't mean that I didnít make the producers give me enough hints to get on the internet and put together the pieces of the puzzle. I do talk to Melana from time to time, on the computer and randomly on the phone. Sheís funny, I wonít talk to her for a while, than she'd call me in the middle of night with a crazy story.

FORT: Would you recommend going on Meet My Folks to a friend?

Apple: The show was a fun experience, its a lot of work and the days are long. I would only recommend it to those who donít mind the network controlling whether or not America thinks your a pervert or a nice guy!

FORT: So, whose idea was it for you to take Ericís shoes and track mud through the house? Do you think you were targeting the wrong guy as your competition, as Melana seemed to prefer Brook at that point?

Apple: It was my brother Bago's idea with the shoes. Before the show, we had this whole conversation on ideas that would be funny or cool. I wanted to steal Melana's mom's underwear and plant them in Brooke's bed or bag. But the producers said that was too gnarly. I really had no idea who was my main
    competition. I just tried to be myself, which is pretty mischievous.

FORT: Did they need to professionally clean the carpets, and were the producers upset that you got the place so dirty?

Apple: The carpets werenít that bad, and the producers were stoked on my ideas. They were very cool about it. Come on, the network makes so much money of those primetime shows, I should burned down the shed in the back or something just to be funny. Now that would have made me laugh.

FORT: Tell me about the cattle prod confessional from the videotape. You denied it in the lie detector test, but what is the real deal?

Apple: When they pulled out the confessional tape, I was pretty off guard. I totally expected to hear something stupid about Eric (he cried all the time). He was Mr. Innocent , so I knew his wouldn't be a big deal. Than the bombshell dropped!! Brooke danced naked for gay men!!! Later on, I found out it totally true. That was such a shock. I was flipping out. I couldn't believe it. So when they had my friend Jade ( who was a stripper at the time) come out and say I like to be shocked by a cattle prod during sex, that was just too much for me to take in all at once. So I told the truth. I had sex with a Dominatrix and some of her girlfriends a couple times, and one time she wanted to shock me. I told her it wasnít my thing, but be my guest if she wants to shock herself or the other girls, and she did. Than I sorta jumped back to Brook with," No matter what I did, I wasn't wearing a G-string like Brook."

FORT: Did you get to go last (as it appeared on tv) for the stand-up comedy segments, and if so, did that give you an advantage by having the longest to prepare? It appeared that you resorted to the hat of stupid blonde jokes quite often during your 5 minute comedy set. Did you tell any of your own jokes and how did it feel to be put on the spot like that?

Apple: I think going last on the standup routine was worse, I had more time to be nervous. I actually used mostly my own jokes, but the producers wanted to use there own. Its funny, I've been on live TV in front of millions for my job, but I was nervous on stage with 100 people in the room.

FORT: Did you pick your own wardrobe, and were there things you wanted to wear that were vetoed by the show? Why did you pick to wear T-shirts on a nationally televised TV show and what was their significance?

Apple: Part of my deal with the show was that I got to wear whatever I wanted. I actually walked out on a meeting with the producers 2 weeks before the show when they said I canít have any logo's. They were losing it. They were sooooo pissed. Calling every 5 minutes for 2 days, calling my brother, anyone they could to get ahold of me. So they told me they would do whatever it takes to get me on, I said than its on my terms, and I wear what I want. The producer that worked with me was very cool, Alan Blassberg. The shirts I wore were by DC Shoes. Its a big skate shoe and clothing line that sponsors me and my TV career. They are soooo down, I couldn't imagine a better sponsor.

FORT: In pictures you sent me and it looks like you have a pretty substantial tattoo on your right arm, but I do not remember that being shown on the show or the NBC publicity shots. Also, the house that the episode was filmed in had a pool, but I donít remember seeing any swimming during the episode, which is unusual for Meet My Folks because the show likes hot-tub shots. Was their swimming and/or hot-tubbing that didnít make the show and did the show deliberately try to cover up your tattoo?

Apple: Melana and I did have a hot tub session. It was funny, she made it pretty clear that she liked me and would kiss me , but didn't want to look like a slut. I thought it was funny, I was thinking," What makes you think I WOULD KISS YOU ?!" Anyways, I would have!! I tried to be patient and just talk to her a little bit, and gave her a goodnight kiss. No tongue or anything, but a very nice kiss. None the less it didnít make the show. I do have a lot of tattoos, and Iím getting some more this month. They are addicting.

FORT: During the lie detector test, you truthfully answered that you did think you are smarter than Dad Scantlin. Do you think you were better off telling the truth or lying for that question?

Apple: I donít know whether I should have lied or not. That lie-detector machine must have been 40 years old, and there was no way it was accurate. I consider myself a smart guy. School always came easy to me, and I get most of the ?'s on Jeopardy right if that means anything!!!

FORT: If you could have turned the tables and asked Mom and Dad Scantlin a question or two on the lie detector, what would you have asked them?

Apple: If I could ask the parents anything, I would like to ask them if they genuinely liked me. I got along very good with Melana's parents, but I wondered if they were just being polite, or if it was because they were boozed up??

FORT: Eric Ferch told us that you mooned a hidden camera during the filming and that Brook busted you to the parents. What was the funniest or most unusual thing that happened during the filming of the show that didnít appear on tv?

Apple: Itís hard to fit 3 days into 44 minutes of programming, the producers have to cut a lot of footage. Brooks ex-girlfriend was pretty pissed off. She really hates him. She was talking shit at the comedy club. Both of the other guys ex's heckled them pretty bad. My ex, Sunny, when asked if she would recommend me for a boyfriend, said yeah, I'm a nice honest guy, and I always treated her good. Iím just a little bit of a troublemaker. The other ex's said the guys sucked as boyfriends. But none of that made the show either. The producers wanted me to be the "BAD BOY". So anything that made me look too nice was cut. Eric was the opposite end of the spectrum , and Brook danced nude for men, so what else do I need to say. I never felt Brook was very much competition. He's just a little bit of a pansy. He claimed to be a Martial Arts instructor in the Marines, but I really doubted he was very tough. I am a professional fighter, so I would have loved to give him a little survival test one on one with me. I think that Brook just got lucky and went for it with the "big kiss". I think that it was just a physical thing.

FORT: Anything else you'd like to add about the show?

Apple: I honestly believe that Melana and I had the best "connection" on the show. She's pretty to begin with. She's like, nice looking wife pretty you know. That's different than I want to take your clothes off and spank you pretty!! haha Anyways, she acted like a little Pageant Queen, all innocent and stuff. But she's down. Don't let the front fool you. I'd bet my life that behind closed doors she's as crazy as it gets.

In reality, she moved here to LA, I live in Orange County which is very close. I would love to see more of her. She's a beautiful, smart, sexy girl. Plus she has just a little bit of attitude that I like. I'd love to put it together with her. I donít think she'd do it. We'll see. I'll call her and let you know how it goes. I think she'd be a little scared to date me. Haha

FORT: I wouldnít be that surprised if she was a little intimidated, as Iíve seen your fight pictures. Here is the link: http://www.sherdog.com/pictures/gc15/gc15_11.htm

Thanks for joining us, Apple!
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Great interview Eric Apple and LG! Some interesting "behind the scenes" info.

Pictures, anybody?
    -phusion :phhht

ya know, I read this a while ago, but was on my way out the door! I meant to comment on it a couple weeks ago.

Great interview LG, thanks for posting it. Thanks too, to Apple for giving the interview
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Great interview & interesting info about the show & contestants ...although I STILL Can't totally place him still although I'm sure I watched it :-) I'll have to go find some pics to revive my memory cells
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

LG.
    Eric actually had sent me some pictures, but they disappeared in a FORTmail server change somewhere along the line, so sorry folks.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread