+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eric Ferch - Winner of The Scantlins

Brian, of course, the winner of the Scantlins episode! Congrats, Brian!
    Last edited by John; 02-10-2003 at 12:41 PM.

LG.
    John, you meant Eric, right?

Thanks for joining us, Eric, and congrat on winning.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Oh yeah, Brian. I was thinking Brian because of course, Brian's the guy who does our vidcaps

Eric...Sorry.

I really don't know about the whole virgin lie thing.

He seemed very genuine when he told Melana about it so it just seemed peculiar for his answer to come out as a lie.

I think there is reason to lie to the parents about it though as it would make them think he is less liekly to try and sleep with their daughter.

It just seemed strange that he would be so matter of fact about it then have the answer come back as a lie.
    The lie detector portion of this show seems so screwed up though they could even have been showing the detector guy's thumbs down about a completely different answer.

Whatever way, Eric was my favourite and I'm pleased he was chosen.
    "That's Numberwang!"

The patting mum on the bum shot was Eric Apple's task.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Shoot, I got my Erics messed up. That's what I get for missing the episode and going from recap memory.

LG.
    my take on Eric's virginity status was that he told Melana because it's something he generally tells people he dates early on (my experience with early 20-something year old virgins I knew in college). I believe that it is the truth but that talking about it makes him a little bit nervous, especially with people's parents, and especially on a tv show hooked up to a polygraph test, and that the stress of being asked that (and being perceived by a huge audience as whatever they perceive a 26 year old virgin to be) caused his heart rate to race and blood pressure to shoot up and whatnot, so he flunked the question. Also (sorry for the speculation, Eric) he might have been thinking about some things that he's done which come short of losing one's virginity but are more "borderline" shall we say and thinking about that made him nervous.

I believe Eric, not the test result, on that particular question. The fact that he passed that he generally doesn't lie to people speaks more to me than the fact that he had a physical stress response (which is what the polygraph is measuring) to a particularly stressful question.

He was my favorite too, and not just because his brother was emailing me before the show aired.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Then my question is, why bother telling them in the first place?
    I don't think they asked, this was information he volunteered to Melana, who he might have never seen again and did so knowing it was bound to be on television and seen by millions of people.

His behaviour didn't really seem very consistent to me.

Anyhoo, I don't care either way, just thought it was strange.

I don't know why he would lie about it, but equally if it's a subject that gets him this stressed why even mention it?

The fact that his brother didn't "rat him out' does make me think he's telling the truth though.
    Just goes to show why polygraph evidence isn't admissable in court I guess.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Hey Eric, thanks for stopping by and congrads! Glad you made it through everything intact. Yeah, I know there's plenty of editing used on shows like that. Rest assured that for the mostpart everyone here is just having some fun "with what was aired" and knows that isn't the whole truth. Hey ya gotta love the recaps! Bravo team! Cool "fish" necklace you had there. <><
    Cruisin' the deep, blue, sea

FORT Newbie
    Thanks for the encouragement from some, and thanks for the angst from others. I truly appreciate your candor and getting the general sense from the show. I obviously see the show through a filtered lense, and all my friends either say I did great or play me out, depending on the relationship I have with them.

Regarding the most hotly discussed question of virginity.....Yes, I am a virgin! Though I didn't say anything to the parents about it. The questions are not created by the parents, rather, they are determined by the producers of the show; the parents are just pawns asking away. That was one of the hooks that got me on the show, the fact that I am obviously different than everyone else. My reasoning and rationale for agreeing to do MMF was more altruistic that just seeing my face on TV. I was attempting to prove that it's not only non-personality losers who are virgins. For some people, it's a choice. For me, it's a choice. I'm neither proud, nor ashamed of the fact that I'm a virgin, but if I can positively impact one person who wants to have sex solely because of peer pressure, I will have succeeded. BTW, I am a Christian and creating a testimony was the main thing I wanted to accomplish. Regarding Melana, she was very happy with the fact that I was a virgin (though most likely lost in the show due to the overall theme), they didn't cut a "you don't often meet a Casanova Virgin" excerpt from Melana. She is also a Christian (we had a long discussion off camera the night Brook was eliminated) and is interested in meeting a Christian, though not necessarily a virgin, guy.

Other editing from the show: Niki isn't even an ex girlfriend, she's a good friend; I don't have a gambling problem; although I did cry when I was a 15 yr. old umpire for little league baseball when a coach went off on me, I don't routinely cry, though I am a relatively sensitive guy. The butt thing is kinda true, but it's all in good fun. Hope that helps clear some things up.
    Eric
    Last edited by LG.; 02-12-2003 at 04:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast