+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 7/5 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Interesting twist - they're actually going to force them to get married at the end? If so, the daughters better start taking Marty's opinions into account, instead of ignoring him like they did last night.
    I agree to a certain extent, but the premise of the whole game is for them to find somebody for him.

I'm confused about Marilyn - she seems perfectly nice to me. If she's being so snotty to the other women, why haven't we seen the footage? I get the feeling the rest of them are just threatened by her.
    Didn't the lie detector test clear up any doubts we would have had? I don't like the lie detector it's not accurate. I do, however, love the dirty little secrets.

And I'm really not understanding the militant stance on surnames. So you go from having Daddy's last name to having Hubby's last name. It's still a guy's name. The only thing that's yours is your first name.
    Why not just hyphenate it like some women do?

I think it's nice for families to have the same surname. So while you're growing up, you have your Dad's name. But when you leave your original family, and start a family of your own, your surname should reflect that. I don't care whether wife takes hubby's name, or hubby takes wife's name, or they pick a brand new name out of the phone book. Having a common surname shows family unity. Having different first names gives us our individuality. Although something tells me a lot of people are going to disagree..........
    Please don't be insulted by this. It is, as always, just one person's opinion.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    I think it's nice for families to have the same surname. So while you're growing up, you have your Dad's name. But when you leave your original family, and start a family of your own, your surname should reflect that. I don't care whether wife takes hubby's name, or hubby takes wife's name, or they pick a brand new name out of the phone book. Having a common surname shows family unity. Having different first names gives us our individuality. Although something tells me a lot of people are going to disagree..........
    Please don't be insulted by this. It is, as always, just one person's opinion.

quoted for truth.

Honestly, the music makes this show unwatchable for me. How can a producer look at his show and say, "Damn, thats good music". Remember that skit that Wil Farrel and Ana used to do on SNL? That couple who played bad cover songs at different social functions? The show's music is even worse than that!

The editing is so wacky on this show, its hard to truely get a feel for any of these ppl. Alot of the reaction shots are so out of place, it can be bothersome.

The girls WERE correct for getting rid of someone that was so insistent on keeping their maiden name. That's the sign of a woman who is a control freak, or likes to be dominant ... and unless you are looking for someone like that, it does not make for a good relationship.

Re: the shoulder thing, it really is insignificant that she was not able to shoot the gun yet she was able to throw up her arms. Reason I know is I have a shoulder problem. I can throw up my arms but if someone challenged me in a skeet shooting contest.... There's different types of shoulder problems. Don't know what hers is but eeeeek, mine hurts!

I think Marilyn's gonna win and it's a jealousy issue. Haven't seen the footage of her "rudeness" and wouldn't they show that for ratings?

I personally can't wait to unload my last name, an unusual Germanic one that few people can pronounce or spell correctly. Since my birth family is disintegrating through death and marriage anyway, I feel no loyalty to a name. My warm feelings about my parents and the family they created still exist, regardless of my legal name.

That said, I respect other women's desire and right to retain their maiden names if they wish. I think Tammy erred by making a huge deal out of it in that setting, though. If she had any desire to advance in the game, being a smart player means not being controversial on hot-button topics early on. I'm sure had Marty chosen her, they could have worked this issue out to their mutual satisfaction. Her stance said "It's more important that I score this point than that I win this game", and maybe she realized the gamble she was taking and was willing to risk a negative outcome (that unfortunately came to pass--too bad, 'cause I rather liked Tammy. She seemed much more 'real' than the simpering blondes.) We can all see that these daughters are eliminating for silly, shallow reasons. Machel got the boot last week because she told a fib about finding one of the daughters boring, but they let an admitted cheater and pickpocket remain in the game. Likewise, I would have a greater problem with the fact that someone had been married and divorced three (THREE) times more worrisome than the surname issue, and yet the serial bride is still there, hoping to make Marty #4 (or would it just be #3?) At any rate, that woman's had wayyy too many husbands for someone who's not even 45 yet.

I feel sure that Marty is looking at divorce court in short order. Gee, NBC's picking up the tab for the wedding--I wonder if it will help out with the divorce bills?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic
    The girls WERE correct for getting rid of someone that was so insistent on keeping their maiden name. That's the sign of a woman who is a control freak, or likes to be dominant ... and unless you are looking for someone like that, it does not make for a good relationship.
    I totally disagree with this statement. I don't think she was a control freak because she wanted to keep her maiden name. As stated earlier.. this is a FAMILY name you were given at birth. It is just as important as the FAMILY name you are taking when you marry someone. So why couldn't she keep her maiden name and add their name? It is pretty common anymore to keep the maiden name. My cousin married.. her last name is Hensley-Cable. So if it is that important to Tammy, I would stand firm and be defensive about my decision too. I think if that was the reason she was booted, it was pretty lame to do so.

OK, I've resisted long enough. Regarding the name change thing. I took my husband's name 22 years ago, and we are still going strong. So this is not a personal thing with me at all. However, since then, I have worked many, many long years (ahem!), and if I were around mid-to-late 30's, had made quite a name for myself in my career, I may not be so eager to change things. My point is, sometimes, it's a business decision to not change your name -- it doesn't have to be some women's lib decision -- simply a practical business decision. Food for thought.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I think it's nice for families to have the same surname. So while you're growing up, you have your Dad's name. But when you leave your original family, and start a family of your own, your surname should reflect that.
    These days with so many blended families its very common to have a number of different last names in a family, so I don't think its such a big deal. I kept my last name and really it hasn't been much of an issue and I have 2 sons and have been married over 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonDrop
    Re: the shoulder thing, it really is insignificant that she was not able to shoot the gun yet she was able to throw up her arms. Reason I know is I have a shoulder problem. I can throw up my arms but if someone challenged me in a skeet shooting contest.... There's different types of shoulder problems. Don't know what hers is but eeeeek, mine hurts!

I think Marilyn's gonna win and it's a jealousy issue. Haven't seen the footage of her "rudeness" and wouldn't they show that for ratings?
    I second the shoulder thing. I've had a shoulder impingement on and off for a couple of years, and when it flares up, I can easily throw my arms up in the air, but a rifle recoiling against my shoulder would have me practically passing out from the pain.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid
    OK, I've resisted long enough. Regarding the name change thing. I took my husband's name 22 years ago, and we are still going strong. So this is not a personal thing with me at all. However, since then, I have worked many, many long years (ahem!), and if I were around mid-to-late 30's, had made quite a name for myself in my career, I may not be so eager to change things. My point is, sometimes, it's a business decision to not change your name -- it doesn't have to be some women's lib decision -- simply a practical business decision. Food for thought.
    Good point, Rose! I agree.
    I took my husband's name when I got married too, but we divorced (after 9 years). My dad had 3 daughters, so I changed my name back to my maiden name, so that someone would carry on the family name... (my dad is deceased). People change their names for all kinds of reasons... but no matter what name you use, it doesn't change who you are.

+ Reply to Thread