+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm having a blonde moment

FORT Newbie

I'm having a blonde moment

I love reading these reality TV boards, and I think that so many of the things written here are hilarious. And I really like this show - Who Wants to Marry My Dad - for the specific reason that the women are fabulous looking "older" women who hopefully display mature and classy actions (not always, though!). There is one issue, however, that I would like to address -and that is the "snarking" on blondes that shows up in many of the dating show forums. I do understand that the nature of these boards is to have a little fun by criticizing those who put themselves out there by being reality show contestants. And I also understand that under no circumstances should we criticize or attack any particular individual on these boards. But I still feel a call to duty to defend blondes - so here goes.

It seems that the phrase "bleached blonde" immediately carries with it some very negative connotations. I am a natural born blonde whose hair was almost white when I was a child. My natural hair color is still quite light, but I do get highlights to give it some "zing". I hold a master's degree in Physics and have a very good job in a mostly male-dominated profession. But still, I guess I am, according to those who don't know me, an air-headed bleached- blonde money-grubbing bimbo.

So this is my request - if you are going to criticize one of the reality show contestants, please find something more substantive than to criticize based on hair color alone. I think blondes, redheads, and brunettes are all beautiful - but the redheads and brunettes might get some help too, you know, just like the (gasp!) bleached blondes. And for the record, so far I believe my favorite "contestant" is Marilyn - an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous brunette - who seems very classy and mature. I am not that crazy anymore about Suzanne - I don't know why particularly - but I guess at times she seems a bit full of herself. Anyway let's just enjoy watching this crazy show!

People have, and will continue to, snark on reality show contestants for everything and anything, including hair color. I'd recommend that, if you happen to be blonde, you don't become offended-by-proxy as one. They're simply snarking on reality show contestants, and if you haven't chosen to appear on TV, then you're not part of the group we're snarking on.

FORT Newbie
    I hear ya, Vavoom! I think blondes (natural or not) will always have to deal with being stereotyped.

as a red head I'm known as being hot tempered. (it may or may not be true, I'll never tell).....but word has always had it that Blondes have more fun!
    don't sweat it Vavoom(interesting tag name.....)it's nothing personal. You just keep on writing smart and witty post and the cleaver folks hear at FORT will see your true "roots"......if you know what I mean
    Last edited by queeny; 06-29-2004 at 11:41 PM.

I'm blonde too..I must admit I do have my moments though
    ~Kristin

FORT Newbie
    Thanks for the feedback John, curious2, queeny and Kam. I guess I should "lighten up" (pun definitely intended!). Actually I get a kick out of all of the "snarky" comments that are made (hmm, snarky, what a great new word) regarding these reality shows, so I won't let them affect me personally anymore - but it's nice to know, curious2, queeny, and Kam that you understand why I felt I had to rant. I guess it was years of frustration that came out and your boards, John, gave me the perfect opportunity to express myself. But from now on, I will keep my few posts to things that are completely on topic. See you all again on the For Love or Money and, of course, the Who Wants to Marry My Dad boards (and any other half-way decent dating reality show, since I am now a true addict!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kam731
    I'm blonde too..I must admit I do have my moments though
    Me too, Kam! One of the advantages of being a blonde is that if you screw up, or totally forget something, you can blame it on being blonde!

Quote Originally Posted by berries
    Me too, Kam! One of the advantages of being a blonde is that if you screw up, or totally forget something, you can blame it on being blonde!
    It's all in good fun. We actually keep a tote board of how many "blonde moments" we have in a day. Oh, by the way, I'm a redhead.

You should've been around for the end of the last Bachelor series. Lots of 'blondes'-talk then. But, we'll just keep being blonde (at least until the world runs out of hair dye) and maybe one day stereotypes will change. . . yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by berries
    ...and as you get older, and you're friends of getting a "little" gray, you can still say with pride that "I don't have a gray hair on my head"!!!!!!!*cough*that shows!!!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast