+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 6/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...
    Wha, wha, wha... boo hoo hoo...

cue music that depicts the intense journey and dashed dreams that transpired in those two or three days...
    Just take a breath and relax...everything's going to be just fine...

FORT Fogey

It's Obvious To Me, Too

Quote Originally Posted by starsprite
    Psshh they kept the 'You Love Me' chick...I kind of saw this coming
    They kept her 'cause, they, uh . . . they love her!

Machel goes psych more than Psycho Sharon. It is possible that she doesn't KNOW she was lying. The types of questions asked were the kinds where you can often build self-serving lies you don't even realize you are lying about. It's why real lie detector experts in real circumstances are very careful about establishing baselines and about how they form and ask questions.

Oooh. Cheesy Music time. The worst one yet.

"This is the hardest one yet"
    "My own daughters went against me"

Is this a repeat of the same lines from last year? Yup. Yawn.

Also, Machel... you are relatively young. Young enough to slap your parents for the crappy spelling of your name, unless you changed that yourself.

(you love me)
    Last edited by Krom; 06-29-2004 at 12:02 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    What is with this cheesy music, it is horrible, I had to mute it!
    I had to mute halfway through psycho Machel's little speech...

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...
    Doubtful that I can stomach this season's version of Who Wants to Marry My Dad....

it just might be too...sniff, sniff...Painful!
    Just take a breath and relax...everything's going to be just fine...

Quote Originally Posted by mstvfan
    Doubtful that I can stomach this season's version of Who Wants to Marry My Dad....
    Yes, without Nick all we have is the Banging Zooms (TM) and the fact that Dad is a horndog cretin. That's no fair trade to put up with unending crying scenes, repeats of last year's best lines, and progressively worse music.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Some of you are putting a little too much faith (actually any faith given this setting is too much) in the "lie detector" test. Even though we are probably only seeing a very edited version of what occurred, there is no way these examinations have any validity. They are so far off that it is a complete fraud in my experience.

I've been administered at least 20 over my career. A polygraph examination, when properly set up, takes several hours, not the few minutes to an hour that could possibly be available in this setting. One I took even lasted more than one day. First a baseline must be established using a set of questions to which the answers are known ,and then the actual questions in the examination must have been very carefully written. For example, "Do you want to marry a man who has children?" is an unbounded question. It does not establish the age range for those children. These three siblings are all well over 21, and while they are Marty's children, none is still a child. It's a bogus question because it allows for interpretation.

No doubt the producers ensure that the siblings and Marty make positive statements about the LDT because it is part of their storyline, but if they actually believe in the validity of the results then they clearly are fools.

For Reality TV to be successful, I think it must be believable. Setting aside the difficulty -- if not the impossibility -- of finding a life partner in a competition like this, the amateur attempt at a polygraph exam makes this complete fiction for me.

This is my first time watching the show, and I was suprised how entertaining it is. Okay, I understand the girls squirming everytime their dad kisses or touches one of the women, but after the tenth girl, you'd think they would get use to it. The lie detector portion was so funny. It seems every week the girls' egos get bruised.

Machel is a total actress. I bet she prolonged every moment she had in front of the camera. She could've been different, but I think she felt pressure to kiss him. Still, no sympathies. She didn't have to blast the entire family like that.
    "The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense."
    Good luck to the Good Guys on the Inferno!

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    Potty-mouth? Grow up Lola. You have me till then. That's a phrase I use with my nieces. The men "waste of time" thing is tougher.
    I totally agree with the first part of what you said Krom - her "potty mouth" freaked you out, Lola? Not to mention it looked like whatever she said she started laughing after she said it, but who cares anyways, you know? I thought Sarah handled it well by saying she felt comfortable around the women.

I don't find the "waste of time" comment troubling at all, however, because I heard Sarah say that in her 30's (I'm guessing she's in her 40's now), she focused on her career and felt men were a waste of time. Well good for her! If Marty said that he focused on his career in his 30's and now in his 40's (or whatever he is) he was focusing on finding the love of his life, everyone would think it was the greatest. She is on the show by choice, obviously she wants to meet a man, and the fact that much of her life has been spent focused on her career and not men says nothing about her current viewpoint towards men, and only shows that she is a strong, independent, self-sufficient woman, who now, at this point in her life, is ready to enter a serious relationship. I was sad to see her go.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AIWANNABE
    I agree, last weeks was too fake.

Ewww seeing your dad kiss another woman, who isn't your mom

is right, that was nasty, I think this freak gets more tongue than Bachelor Blob.

Nasty scenes, nasty bachelor, nasty show. I'll be watching every episode, of course. :rolleyes
    Last edited by geekgirl; 06-29-2004 at 12:43 AM.

The best you can do is to fake it
    Sometimes you canít make it on your own

+ Reply to Thread