+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Okland Daughters

Quote Originally Posted by hikari
    I was mostly interested in learning if anyone else heard as I did, that the two older girls introduced themselves both as 27, which would make them fraternal twins.
    Not necessarily. They could have been born say, 10 or 11 months apart, and then for a month or two each year they would be the same age.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

For what it's worth, I thought I heard two of them say they were 27.
    I'll try to remember to look at the tape tonight.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

You're right, Qboots--they could be a mere 9 or 10 months apart. If true, then Mom got kind of a raw deal!

Marty and the girls' mother are obviously no longer together, but seeing as they had three children in the space of three years, however it was divvied up, they were a hot and heavy couple once upon a time . . .

If it were me and I were the older of the '27' pair, I'd probably add that extra month or two to my age and call myself '28', just to avoid confusing the viewers at home.

Well, it's been nearly 2 weeks--time to resurrect this thread!

Does anyone else find these daughters getting on your nerves?

I think they are all three very pretty, well-spoken girls. They also remind me of all the snotty cheerleaders that we all have gone to school with, somehow, despite the crocodile tears every time they have to eliminate someone. I realize they are 'done up' for the show, but underneath the carefully done hair, layers of makeup and French manicures, I get the feeling that three catty little hearts are beating. The further the show goes along, the less warm the girls seem, and the more like a judgemental little clique of three with their claws out.

It's the questions they choose to ask at the lie detector tests that most contribute to this impression of mine. They seem to ask Waaaaay too many questions of the 'Have you made fun of us behind our backs this week? (in all honesty, who of us WOULDN'T?) variety. Or 'Do you find me boring?' (Again, isn't that a universal sentiment, pretty much?)

With all due respect to the girls' feelings--I realize that it can't be easy to pimp out your dad on national TV, even if you are OK, in theory, with him remarrying--but--IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU! They act more like sorority sisters grilling a crop of potential pledges during Rush Week than three grown women seriously trying to find a compatible mate for their dad. While one would hope that dad's new wife would like Marty's family, and get along cordially with everyone, and that they would feel the same about her, this show is not called 'Who Wants to Fall in Love with My Kids and Think They are Totally Cool and Without Flaw?' Just 'cause a woman isn't instant best friends with Marty's three grown daughters doesn't mean that she wouldn't be a good match for him. The girls are allowing their personal feelings toward the women to unduly influence their decisions about who gets eliminated. They kept Nicole even after Marty told them point-blank that he wasn't attracted to her, because THEY have hit it off with Nicole.

They are adults, for crying out loud. A new stepmother isn't going to influence their lives except indirectly by contributing to their father's happiness. They won't have to LIVE with her. (What was UP with the dorky 'Can we come on the honeymoon with you?' question? C'mon! That was in no way a serious question, but I think it does display some disturbing overtones of misplaced possessiveness toward Daddy, IMHO.)

The longer this goes on, the more I'm thinkin' that job of stepmama to these three prima donnas would be a tough job. And poor Marty can only helplessly stand by and look hurt as one by one they kick all his favorites to the curb.
    Last edited by hikari; 07-06-2004 at 03:46 PM.

Well, it's been nearly 2 weeks--time to resurrect this thread!

Does anyone else find these daughters getting on your nerves?

I think they are all three very pretty, well-spoken girls. They also remind me of all the snotty cheerleaders that we all have gone to school with, somehow, despite the crocodile tears every time they have to eliminate someone. I realize they are 'done up' for the show, but underneath the carefully done hair, layers of makeup and French manicures, I get the feeling that three catty little hearts are beating. The further the show goes along, the less warm the girls seem, and the more like a judgemental little clique of three with their claws out.

It's the questions they choose to ask at the lie detector tests that most contribute to this impression of mine. They seem to ask Waaaaay too many questions of the 'Have you made fun of us behind our backs this week? (in all honesty, who of us WOULDN'T?) variety. Or 'Do you find me boring?' (Again, isn't that a universal sentiment, pretty much?)

With all due respect to the girls' feelings--I realize that it can't be easy to pimp out your dad on national TV, even if you are OK, in theory, with him remarrying--but--IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU! They act more like sorority sisters grilling a crop of potential pledges during Rush Week than three grown women seriously trying to find a compatible mate for their dad. While one would hope that dad's new wife would like Marty's family, and get along cordially with everyone, and that they would feel the same about her, this show is not called 'Who Wants to Fall in Love with My Kids and Think They are Totally Cool and Without Flaw?' Just 'cause a woman isn't instant best friends with Marty's three grown daughters doesn't mean that she wouldn't be a good match for him. The girls are allowing their personal feelings toward the women to unduly influence their decisions about who gets eliminated. They kept Nicole even after Marty told them point-blank that he wasn't attracted to her, because THEY have hit it off with Nicole.

They are adults, for crying out loud. A new stepmother isn't going to influence their lives except indirectly by contributing to their father's happiness. They won't have to LIVE with her. (What was UP with the dorky 'Can we come on the honeymoon with you?' question? C'mon! That was in no way a serious question, but I think it does display some disturbing overtones of misplaced possessiveness toward Daddy, IMHO.)

The longer this goes on, the more I'm thinkin' that job of stepmama to these three prima donnas would be a tough job. And poor Marty can only helplessly stand by and look hurt as one by one they kick all his favorites to the curb.
    Well said Hikari. I agree with everything you wrote. I have moments of liking the girls (watching their reactions to seeing dad make out with all the women was pretty funny), but they're also displaying far too much cattiness and judgementalism for my taste. Making the women play that pointing fingers game was over the top. Just plain mean.

Amen, Hikari! ITA! These girls appear to be very judgemental, and petty if you ask me. I think any woman would be crazy to want to marry into a family such as this -- all the sappy "I love you's" between the girls and their dad seems so phony to me -- it all seems so blatantly scripted to me. I mean I know they love each other, but the way they were saying it to each other sounded like they were high school actors -- then again I am a big cynic! :phhht And, hey, wait a minute, some high school actors are really good!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I don't know why they didn't get rid of Sha"youloveme"ron earlier *coughPSYCHOcough*. The next to go should be Daddy's choice, Nicole(?), because now we know there's a shotgun weddin in the makin.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Well, I've made my feelings about the daughters known (I usually just think of them as Daughter #1, #2 and The Youngest, 'cause I still can't remember who's who), in all fairness to them, I don't think any of the birthday party 'games' were their idea. I'm sure 'Point the Finger' and 'Introduce Yourself as Mrs. Marty at a Cocktail Party' were products of the producers' twisted brains. The girls may be w*tchy, but that Point the Finger game was pure evil as only a TV reality producing team could concoct.

The 'ladies' (in quotes, mind you) showed their true colors during that game. It was so obvious that Marilyn got three fingers because the other women perceive her as the biggest competition. I can't imagine which comments of hers in the house were perceived as 'rude' . . .maybe she cut ahead of someone in line for the bathroom. I see the sorority-house mentality has infected the contestants as well as the daughters, though, if playing nice in the sandbox (or is it the hottub?) is a prerequisite for the job of Marty's wife. Bearing in mind that they are all competing for the same job title, the fantasy that they are really 'all really great friends' is a pile of doo-doo.

Poor Dad. He seems totally forgotten during this whole process, even though he's going to be the groom. What kind of emasculating horror must it be to say "I do" to a strange woman because your kids liked her the best? Where do Marty's feelings come into the picture? I don't give this marriage more than two months, to be honest. Just long enough to get back from the Caribbean honeymoon paid for by NBC and do the round of talk-shows. The kids may or may not be along on those outings . . .seems likely!

I don't see a wife for Marty among the remaining 6. This seems like a looooong way to go just to get some action in the bedroom. Marty's an OK looking guy--he's probably wishing he'd just taken his chances down at the bar like everyone else now . . .

I taped last night's show and haven't watched it yet, but did read the synopsis. And I have one question - why on earth would the daughters ignore Dad's desires of who he wants to keep (Marilyn) and advance their own agenda? Are they the one's marrying the lady or is he? If I were him, I would be furious - but then I wouldn't dream of having my son choose a mate for me either.

... in all fairness to them, I don't think any of the birthday party 'games' were their idea. I'm sure 'Point the Finger' and 'Introduce Yourself as Mrs. Marty at a Cocktail Party' were products of the producers' twisted brains. The girls may be w*tchy, but that Point the Finger game was pure evil as only a TV reality producing team could concoct.
    Again, Amen!

This whole premise seems totally bizarre and unbelievable to me. Finding a bachelor/bachelorette on tv -- maybe -- but have your children pick out a SPOUSE for you, know them for what three weeks, they have children you never meet, they never meet you, the children never meet each other, MARRY and most likely MOVE, CHANGE JOBS. . . ?!?!?!?! WHO WOULD DO THIS? :phhht It's insanity I tell you!!!!
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread