'Marry My Dad' Star Grabs New Gig

Local Man Parlays Reality TV Stardom Into Hawaii Trip

CINCINNATI -- Millions of Americans saw Don Mueller propose to Christena Herran Monday night on "Who Wants To Marry My Dad?"

Now, the reality TV star is taking on a new role right here in is hometown of Cincinnati.

Most may know Don from the TV show, but in real life, his company has been making and selling city maps for years. Now, he's working on selling the city itself.

"His star power and celebrity charm is really what we're grateful for, and that he's going to be out there on behalf of cincinnati," Greater Cincinnati Convention & Visitors Bureau spokeswoman Lisa Haller said.

Mueller will join Visitors Bureau representatives at their most important trade shows, WLWT Eyewitness News 5's Tony Gnau reported Tuesday.

"Don will be there with our Cincinnati delegation promoting Cincinnati and attracting customers to our trade show booth," Haller said.

Added Mueller: "I always say in my company that if you believe in your product, you're going to sell it. And I believe in Cincinnati, so it's an easy sell to me because this is where I was born and raised."

The idea is to convince companies to book Cincinnati as their convention site, Gnau reported. There's a lot of competition, so it's hard work, and folks at the Visitors Bureau had to convince Mueller to accompany them.

"This year, (the convention) is in Honolulu," Haller said, to which Mueller replied: "I said, 'Let me think about it ... for about a second.' And then I said, 'OK.'"

Now, Haller and her colleagues hope Mueller has the same drawing power in person as he did on the small screen, Gnau reported. The Honolulu trip is in a couple weeks.

As for Mueller's new fiancee, Herran lives in San Diego, so they have some things to work out before they go any further, Gnau reported.

"I'm so, so sorry, but we have not picked you."

Those words from Heidi Mueller to former Miss U.S.A. Christy Fichtner sealed the fate of Heidi's father, Don Mueller of Glendale, Ohio.

Don starred in the NBC reality show Who Wants To Marry Dad?, along with his four adult children: Heidi, 21; Chris, 22; Joe, 26; and Karla Barela, 25.

The kids whittled down a cast of would-be brides for their father, the owner of a local map-making business and 13-year-divorcee.

On Monday's final episode, Mueller's kids picked Christena Ferran to be their new stepmom, and Don proposed to her on the spot. She accepted.

Don said his emotions were all over the place when his kids made the final decision. In fact, he told WLWT Monday night that his proposal to Christena had to be reshot because he placed the ring on the wrong hand.

"I was so confused, I didn't know what was going on," he said.

The Muellers watched the final installment of the five-episode series along with several hundred guests at a charity event at Paul Brown Stadium.

Don's would-be bride thought about flying here for the finale, but she didn't want to risk being caught in town before the results were revealed.

Don and Christena have seen each other only two days since the show wrapped up in May.

"It's been two months since the show was filmed," Don said. "Everybody thinks it just got over today. I've seen her 2 days in the last 60 days, and actually I saw her today (on NBC's Today show). You're not allowed to see each other."

What the future holds for the couple isn't clear. Don's fiance lives in San Diego with her two teenage sons. Christena reportedly is not ready to uproot her sons to move to Ohio, and Don isn't able to leave his business, which employs about 120 people.

For now, they plan to spend as much time as possible getting to know each other.

"Right now, we're starting fresh and building some things," he said. "We're looking forward to spending some time together, simply because we weren't allowed to before. It is kind of awkward."

The Mueller children are keeping in touch with some of the contestants on the show. However, Don doesn't expect to see the final two in the same room together for quite some time.

When asked if Christy and Christena liked each other, Don replied: "Umm, No."

"It's not that they hate each other or anything, but I don't think they're pen pals or anything," he said.

Stay tuned to WLWT Eyewitness News 5 and ChannelCincinnati.com for periodic updates on the Mueller family.
http://www.channelcincinnati.com/entertainment/2400696/detail.html