+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it Fake? Part Deux

Is it Fake? Part Deux

I have a couple additional questions/comments besides those posted earlier:

One, how is it that none of these people expect to get a lie detector test? I could see that in season one, but it seems like a stretch in season two. It seems like anyone who was willing to be on the show would have known about it and probably seen it a few times - even if you hadn't seen it prior to agreeing to be on the show (assuming some guys are recruited and not all volunteer for it).

Two, doesn't it seem like the families in this show are living above their means? You have high school coaches, teachers and principals living in huge houses in swanky neighborhoods with pools and hot tubs. Do they temporarily move the family into a nicer house to shoot the show - like the houses they use on The Bachelor? I don't think so, but it seems strange. And, is it a requirement that all families who get on the show have to have a pool and hot tub? It seems like they all do. What if you had a nice family with a hot daughter but the family was poor and didn't have the big house, pool and hot tub...could they be on the show? Apparently not. Where are all the civil rights attornies when you need them?

As an aside, did you ever notice that every date on Blind Date is in a Ford Explorer? I don't watch that show very much, but I assume that vehicle belongs to the show and they use it because they have a camera hooked to it and by being large, it works well for TV. I doubt every guy who goes on the show has an Explorer. A lot of them probably don't even have cars.

Back to Meet My Folks, it also seems strange that you have these conservative parents, where the father is usually a teacher, coach or military guy, and the young guys are all serious losers who don't do well in school and have had lots of sex with lots of girls, and often haven't treated women very well...and the family always falls in love with the guys and can't wait to send them on a trip with their precious daughters! The father last night, the principal, is a great example of that. In real life, he would have thrown those guys out of his house on day one, but on TV he's ready to adopt Pete (or whatever the guy's name was). Makes no sense.

The house used for the shoot is not the family's house, in most cases. It's a "set" house, which has room for the cameras and sound equipment.

In addition, the parents get to accompany the kids on their trip, and from what we've been told, it's not even really required that the winner of the show and the object of affection go on the trip together - they just both get trips.

Thanks - that's really interesting. Is that in the fine print somewhere at the end of the show, or where did you pick that up?

We picked that up from interviews with several contestants on the show. We've asked a lot of the same questions you've asked.

It's not fake, but like most reality shows, it's not 100% as it appears, either.

LG.
    right, like on last night's episode, I envision the production crew "encouraging" Erin and Chris to smear chocolate all over each other on that date, as it seemed really forced and corny to me, but looked like something that somebody thought would make a cute tv spot. Not that it didn't happen, mind you, but that "hey, instead of making cookies and eating them like normal people, let's drench ourselves in sticky chocolate" wasn't Erin and Chris' idea.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    One of the contestants was 'coached' to kiss the guy , only to be 'busted' by the parents in the act.(surprise :nono) I can't remember the name of the Family but the girls name was Stephanie , I think.

LG.
    ah, I think that was the Maloneys, Eny, as I remember interviewing Stefanie from that 3 episode storyline.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    The house used for the shoot is not the family's house, in most cases. It's a "set" house, which has room for the cameras and sound equipment.
    That's refreshing... I was starting to wonder whether or not they'd ever have a non-millionaire family on there!
    What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure. -Samuel Johnson

+ Reply to Thread