+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TV Guide talks to Matt and Cortez

TV Guide talks to Matt and Cortez

Married by America? No Way!
    Thursday, March 20, 2003

How does it feel to be on Fox's Married by America (Mondays at 9 pm/ET)? In a word: Uncomfortable. Five instantly "engaged" couples cohabitate on a California ranch, where nightcams spy on 'em Temptation Island-style. Some pairs got randy right away, like trashy Tony and Billie Jeanne. Others got very shy, like Matt and Cortez, who were booted off this week. Here, TV Guide Online grills this hilariously incompatible duo about their short-lived courtship. Daniel R. Coleridge

TVGO: Cortez, you clearly were not attracted to Matt.
    Cortez: I couldn't fake it. The producers kept pushing it and pushing it. Maybe if we'd had activities where you get a chance to fall for each other, it might've been different. But we were told, 'In this scene, hold hands and look like you're in love.' They really focused in on why I wasn't affectionate yet even though I had only met him the night before!

TVGO: After watching the show, were you shocked by the sexual goings-on? Some couples were kissin', strippin' and having stray body parts blurred out!
    Cortez: I was screaming and covering my eyes, going 'Oh, my God.' I'm sure my parents were freaking out. I told them, 'Don't worry, you're not going to see me in any of that.'

TVGO: How much does the winning couple get when America votes for them to marry?
    Cortez: They get a house, a car and $100,000. No amount of money would make me do that stuff, though.
    Matt: Cortez and I handled it on a real level, and didn't pretend to be madly in love and get in bed. We left with some dignity because we didn't want to be part of the T&A show. The money's great, but not at the risk of losing yourself.

TVGO: My, you're unusually moral for reality TV people. But why did you discuss burning, drowning and gunshot wounds mulling over the worst ways to die over dinner? Was your date that bad?
    Cortez: (Laughs) That's not a conversation for a first date. But that's Matt.
    Matt: After a nine-hour car trip, we got thrown into a full course dinner at 1 am. You sort of run out of s--- to talk about. The concierge lit a fire for us, and it sparked a conversation of 'Man, I'd hate to be burned alive.' All we really wanted was to go to bed, and we had to have this forced meal at 1 am. You just start babbling crap at that point. We were dying on camera, so I brought up death!

TVGO: Speaking of sleeping arrangements... Cortez, you were one of the ladies who refused to cuddle.
    Cortez: On our contract, we were told, 'You will have the option of separate beds.' We were the couple with the smallest room, and then, there was a chaise that I didn't even fit in. But the bed was huge, so when he went to the bathroom, I built a wall of pillows between us. Nothing against him, but morally, that wasn't right for me.
    Matt: On the drive up, I told her I wait for girls to make the first move. But I wasn't hopeful of sexual activity, because my mom and sister were watching. I wouldn't do that on a first date, anyway.

TVGO: Even when you're faux engaged?
    Matt: Even faux engaged, because it is faux engaged. It's not really engaged.

Cortez: I couldn't fake it. The producers kept pushing it and pushing it. Maybe if we'd had activities where you get a chance to fall for each other, it might've been different. But we were told, 'In this scene, hold hands and look like you're in love.' They really focused in on why I wasn't affectionate yet even though I had only met him the night before.
    I think Cortez is right. The producers need to have the couples do more activities together, other than just mulling around the house.

FORT Fogey

Re: TV Guide talks to Matt and Cortez

Some pairs got randy right away, like trashy Tony and Billie Jeanne. Others got very shy, like Matt and Cortez, who were booted off this week... Daniel R. Coleridge
    Games are entertaining when the participants play to win. Here the prize is a teeny bit of fame, the house, cash, etc.

The non-eliminated couples' performances are judged based on who's clicking or has the potential to click. All the booted off people so far (except for Xavier) had no desire to even play the game. I don't know why they bothered applying.

For Matt and Cortez to take some moral high ground and blame their loss on a desire to maintain their dignity is just ridiculous.

I don't get why Coleridge labels Tony and BJ as being trashy. A word like that loses its value about 3 seconds after we've established that we're talking about reality tv in most cases.

I get what you mean, but why wouldn't they want to maintain their dignity? Reality TV doesn't necessarily equate to Trash TV. While some of the challenges do threaten loss of dignity, it's possible to enter a scenario just to "see what happens," to take an experimental tack.

It would've been interesting if the producers housed the couples in separate bedrooms and allowed them a courtship phase. The set-up, as it stands, tests the couples' instantaneous attractions--the one bed, the sex therapist, the "are you attracted to him?" interrogations. Not much chance for Matt to pitch woo.

FORT Fogey

Eyes Wide Shut

For Matt and Cortez to take some moral high ground and blame their loss on a desire to maintain their dignity is just ridiculous.
    I totally agree with DD.

From Cortez' impassioned "I've been waiting my whole life..." speech to her embarrassing rejection of Matt, who seemed like a perfectly nice guy, her interview reeks of BS to me.

No one went into this Reality/Game Show with their eyes closed. The couples had to sign all kinds of agreements drawn up by the show's legal beagles that outlined the rules and what they could expect would happen on MBA as it progressed.

Why did Cortez accept the marriage proposal? Because she knew she had to -- she signed a binding contract. They did not want another Darva Conger on their hands, heaven forefend!

If somewhere along the way, a couple is 'ousted' by the so-called Panel of Experts, then they are off the hook. But until such time, they are aware of what they are there for. They are playing for a big prize after all, lest we forget.

FORT Fogey
    Exactly, CaliGirl.

There's a really funny tv advert (I forgot for what though so how good can the commercial be) that shows a harried older woman with a younger guy leaving a Vegas chapel. Apparently she was in town for a convention and ended up getting hitched. If that was the case here -- completely out of the blue marriage -- then backing out or not giving it your all would be understandable.

Here though, there's an investment being made in them at least giving it a try. Dave and Jenna gave us more during their one night at the Rio Negro Ritz than Matt and Cortez!

Originally posted by Shayla
    ...why wouldn't they want to maintain their dignity?
    Shayla, I find Matt & Cortez' dignity excuse a complete cop-out answer because it is irrelevant. It's just a form of self-justification to why they are 1st round losers. I'd respect them so much more if they just said, "we were bad players" instead of implicitly taking a shot at the other couples who made an attempt at least.

Side note - the advertisement is for Las Vegas. Ironic, eh?

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by John
    Side note - the advertisement is for Las Vegas. Ironic, eh?
    John, you're right! It is for Vegas! Where's my dunce cap?

Shayla, I find Matt & Cortez' dignity excuse a complete cop-out answer because it is irrelevant. It's just a form of self-justification to why they are 1st round losers. I'd respect them so much more if they just said, "we were bad players" instead of implicitly taking a shot at the other couples who made an attempt at least.
    What are the rules of this game? How does one win? I see what you mean though; it is possible to interpret the dignity comment as an excuse, and perhaps it is one. Regardless of what we call it, I don't fault them for playing an honest game. Or, in this case, choosing not to pretend to like each other or force an attraction.

Billie and Tony were pixelated their second night together. Hey, I've been youthful and impulsive and made my share of mistakes. And, we're all different in our sexual mores. I don't fault Billie and Tony for doing their thing. But, to Matt, dignity meant not being "on the T&A show." Being honest and modest isn't always disadvantageous. Zora on "Joe M" did both and won the game.

DD, you and I might just disagree on whether or not Matt's comment was honest or an excuse. Let me know if I'm misreading you.

+ Reply to Thread