+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ET: Married By America

ET: Married By America

Explains the process a little further.

================
    Who Wants to Be 'Married By America'?
    February 25, 2003

While we wait to find out if "Joe Millionaire"'s EVAN MARRIOTT and ZORA ANDRICH really do take a walk down the aisle, FOX is introducing the next in its lineup of unscripted dating shows.

"Married By America," created by the producers of the ratings-breaking "Joe Millionaire" series, premieres Monday, March 3, from 8-10 p.m. In it, viewers will follow five singles -- three gals and two guys -- who put their trust in the viewing public to pick their Mr. or Miss Rights.

ET spoke with several of the contestants to find out just what is in store.

"I'm spontaneous, so I think that this is going to be a lot of fun," pretty-in-pink BILLIE JEAN, an Army brat, volunteers. "Hopefully, I can find someone that I can marry and love."

The contestants were found in all manner of ways. For example, JENNIFER, a beautiful blonde from Atlanta, was approached by a casting director at a bar. "I have the opportunity to have a lot America scoured to find the perfect person for me," she tells ET of her decision to participate. "I have been out in the dating world for a while, and I have had no luck. So why not use all the resources you can?"

With the help of relationship experts, five potential matches will be nominated for each contestant. Then the participants' friends and family will narrow them down, following which, viewers will be able to call in and vote for their choice for the perfect match for each of the five contenders. Then, and only then, will the five couples meet to explore the possible love match.

"The fact that my friends and family are going to be provided with four or five quality people gives me more comfort than if they were to go out and find someone," Jennifer adds. Even so, she reveals, "I can't describe to you all the feelings I went through. It was complete and utter terror. I think I lost six pounds in two weeks."

Following its two-hour premiere, "Married by America," will resume on Wednesday, March 5, at 9 p.m. The following Monday, it returns to its regular 9 p.m. Monday night timeslot.

"I know my Mr. Right is out there," says brunette JILL, from Long Island, who has a master's degree in broadcasting. "Whether or not he's here, wherever he lives, I'm going to find him."

For more on "Married by America," catch tonight's ET!
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

this has fiasco written all over it

remember who wants too marry a millionaire, same thing

I also think this show has a potential to be disasterous, but it's like a train wreck. I must check it out and see for myself if this will be any good or not. Who knows? It might turn out to be kind of fun to watch.

So far the contenstants that have been shown on the previews have been somewhat good-looking.

"Hopefully, I can find someone that I can marry and love."
    That line bugs me. It's SUPPOSED to be the other way around. You fall in love and then get married. If they want to do it this way, then why not go back to the old tradition where your parents chose your mate for you, and you got stuck with someone whose father was in business with your father?
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

Sleeping with George W
    Well, I think the premise is it's like an old-fashioned arranged marriage where you do get married first and then hopefully fall in love later. (brings back those great memories of Fiddler on the Roof ... "do you love meeeee? ... do I WHAT?????)

This show already has the stink of media whoredom on it. People who obviously just want exposure to further their dreams of stardom. But yes, I'll still watch!

Originally posted by Wolf
    So far the contenstants that have been shown on the previews have been somewhat good-looking.
    That is exactly why I don't think this show will be any good.

The concept of arranged marriage is as old as the garden, and I think it might be interesting to have a show that examined real, honest efforts at making an arranged marriage work.

If these people looked like desperate singles who really just want to get married I might buy it.

(With the exception of the dog guy) These contestants are all just too pretty. It just screams "I'm trying to turn my 15 minutes of fame on a Fox scandal fest into an acting gig"!

That acting gig won't last it still amazing how these people on these reality shows think that they can be famous for a long time.

I KNOW! Haven't they watched as the onriginal survivors have quickly disappeared from view? And they were the BIG ones. All the other reality show contestants have barely made a blip on the radar. Sure, there are a couple you still hear about now and then (Jerry Manthy just keeps on trying, bless her) but as more and more reality shows fill up the slots, there are just that many more wannabes to compete with for future gigs. Why are people still thinking they can break into Hollywood this way? The american public just does not have that long of an attention span.

"Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

+ Reply to Thread