+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Married By America

Married By America

NEW REALITY: VIEWERS PLAY MATCHMAKER
    Sun Jan 19, 4:01 AM ET
    By DON KAPLAN

Here's a dilemma: You're a reality TV fanatic who's got an itch to get hitched, but just can't find the perfect mate. Why not let America decide whom you should marry?

A new reality show called "Married by America" is heading to Fox in March and could easily follow in the footsteps of "Joe Millionaire" to become the next big buzz-worthy reality show.

"Married" will follow four single people - two men and two women - looking to settle down.

With the help of a relationship expert, five potential mates will be hand-picked for each contestant.

Their friends and family will narrow the five down to two potential mates, and viewers will vote to decide which one will get engaged to each of the single people.

But here's the twist.

At the end of the show, each of the four will propose, or be proposed to, from behind a curtain. They won't get to see their partner-to-be until after the ring has changed hands.

Critics might slam shows like "Joe Millionaire," "The Bachelor" and even "Who Wants to Marry a Multimillionaire" for their hefty cheese factors, but TV industry analyst Marc Berman says the public's appetite has been whetted for bizarre relationship shows.

"Of course people are going to watch a show about arranged marriages. I would be shocked if they didn't," he said.

After "Joe Millionaire" ends, "Viewers are going to be used to that kind of show in that time period. They're going to want to watch something similar."
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Sleeping with George W
    Ok, I cannot wait for this show to get started. Cause I gotta warn you ... if there are people in this show who annoy me, I am voting for the very WORST people to be their fiancees.

I was wondering the same thing, Eden: would the unlikable types get slammed by viewers? Let's hope the unlucky couples can get an easy annulment.

FORT Newbie

Desperate

I mean, what's wrong with these people? Why are they so eager to marry? That lifestyle isn't for everyone, regardless of what the family values police say. That' why we have so many divorces and so much cheating and spouses killing one another. They had no business getting married in the first place. Now these people are really gonna marry someone they don't even know? Sick and desperate.

There's nothing wrong with casual dating. It'll lead to something serious if it's best for the people involved. But people planning their whole lives out in advance ("I'm gonna be married by 29 have kids at 31, have a white picket fence and matching poodles, yadda, yadda") is a little drastic. I've always been a "go with the flow" and "play it by ear" guy.

One thing I don't like right off the bat is the involvement of friends and family. That's the worse thing that this show can do. Plus it reinforces the desperation and the butt kissing these "contestants" are doing. Letting friends and parents get involved is gonna eliminate people who might actually be good for some of these "contestants." For instance, say one of Jennifer's friends is so shallow she bashes one of the possible suitors only because of his height, hair color, eye color, or his race, his build, or his money. Let's say this guy's a good cook, is funny, is educated has a job he likes, is good in bed, and is clean and smells good. But if he's not Brad Pitt, Jr., the friends and even the mother might publically bury this good guy all because of his build or some other unchangeable feature.

I smell disaster. I'd never let my friends and family (or anyone else for that matter) pressure me to date or not date someone in particular, let alone marry. What's wrong with these people? Why so desperate?
    NEWS FLASH: T.A.T.U. censored on Leno; thousands march in protest!

+ Reply to Thread