+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll Take Mine With A Twist

FORT Fogey

I'll Take Mine With A Twist

This is a collaborative post by the team of Cali/CaliGirl about the upcoming "For Love or Money" (June 2, 9PM Eastern, NBC)

What were the two of the most successful reality (unscripted) shows of this past season? Right! "The Bachelor/ette" and "Joe Millionaire." This is what they pay Network Executives the big bucks for. They get to combine these two shows to form a hybrid baby called "For Love or Money." The novel idea here is that they will give the 15 women competing a difficult choice. You guessed it -- they get to choose between a million bucks and a hot guy.

Ah, for Love or Money, that is the question. Here we have a show that will really test the women. If Rob chooses them they win a million dollars. At least that’s what they think. I am truly interested to see to what lengths these women will go to win.

Upon further thought, perhaps scared is a better-used adjective than interested. These women really might embarrass the female species to a degree not seen on television before. Shocking thought.

Interesting is the correct word however, for describing my feelings toward the ultimate ending.

They will only receive the big payday if they decline the Bachelor. Yep, they have to say no to someone that they very well may have come close to sleeping with, or perhaps “slurping in the woods with”, in order to get the money.

This decision is a lot harder than some may think simply because the women will have to weigh the things they did to woo this man into their definitive verdict. They will know that everything they said, the clothes they wore (or barely wore), and how far they went to woo Rob has been seen by presumably millions of people. Their parents, in most cases, included. How much worse would they look if they said yes to the money, but no to Rob? If we thought the girls of Joe Millionaire were conniving, I have a feeling this show may truly show what women will do for that Million. I also think that the season/series finale may actually shock us all.

Here is where I see this train de-railing. Despite the fact that "instant love" seems to be the big ratings getter these days, the lure of a million dollars is even greater. The girl that will be chosen by the handsome Dallas defense attorney, must in turn choose between appearing greedy as opposed to "being in love." What's a poor girl to do? Who in their right mind wouldn't take the mil and make a deal on the side for later if the guy is willing?

I have to wonder if Rob will get the same offer at the end. If he chooses no one, will he become a million dollars richer? If so, what will his parents think? Would he be willing to be branded a rapscallion for his full fifteen minutes in order to get the quick buck?

Just how will the masses view a man who perhaps played tonsil hockey with 15 different women, scorning them for the riches, compared to how they will view a woman who was willing to share his tonsils with 14 other women in hops of having him choose her, and then taking the cash instead?

This series has the promise of raising some good old-fashioned debate about what is acceptable by both sexes in order to get what you want. Now, whether or not it will be as good as it has the potential of being remains to be seen.

The venues will be mostly in California, nothing that hasn't been seen before. Bel Air, Santa Barbara, Malibu, Napa Valley as well as forays to Telluride, CO and Dallas, TX. Could the last two be the home towns of our winning couple? This show has already been shot so the outcome is known.

To contact the authors, send mail to caligirl@fansofrealitytv.com
    or cali@fansofrealitytv.com

Great job, ladies! Should be an interesting way to spend the summer...

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar
    twist part 2:

after the girl makes her choice, they are going to do the same show again, but with one girl and 15 guys.

FORT Fogey
    Where did you hear this, brockdrywall?

Wouldn't it depend on the kind of ratings this show gets?

NBC has already released a PR statement saying that they are committed to a 'second season' of the show...

and i know some folks who helped make it... it's set to air this summer right after the first segment. i'd imagine they want to do it this way to make it equal-opportunity sniping at gender roles... first the golddiggers get to go, then the mimbos!
    For the fully aware, optimism is a revolutionary act.
    For everyone else, there's bitching and moaning.

FORT Fogey
    Thanks for the info since I will be recapping this show.

Any further insights you can provide on this thread would be much appreciated.

@ mimbos (have not heard that version before)

all i can say is:

remember... it's NOT reality TV. it's just unscripted TV... like improv. there's nothing real about living in a mansion with 14 strangers, getting new stories fed to you every day, and having every action tracked, recorded and prompted by cameras and producers... and remember to watch for the credits... ever wonder why these shows all have several writers? they don't have scripted lines, but they do have story lines to follow...

what you see from the people on TV is NOT what you get... just keep in mind as a caveat... they are all much more normal, nice and cool in real life, but to make good entertainment, you have to play a role. so the bitch may not be so bitchy, the flake not so flaky, the clown may be a molecular biologist in real life... and the guy may actually just be someone a little too naive for his own good, and not in on the joke till it's too late.

We all understand that, brock. And I hope the contestants also understand that when we call someone "bitchy" or "stupid" or "flaky", we're only judging them on the edited version we see, and not on them as a real person.

The caveat goes both ways.

good to know... i know some of the girls as well, so it'll be nice to be able to tell them not to take anything they read too personally (much like athletes who say they never read the sports page but always have it in the clubhouse, they will be reading these forums more than anyone).

and i know i can't wait to see how they shape the characters... i've already got some guesses on who is gonna play the 'i'm in it for the money so don't F*** with me bitch' role...

FORT Fogey

Re: I'll Take Mine With A Twist

Originally posted by CaliGirl
    Yep, they have to say no to someone that they very well may have come close to sleeping with, or perhaps “slurping in the woods with”, in order to get the money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast