+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Will ANYONE take the guy over the money?

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Oh, Lord. Hmmmm. I'd take the money. I can always get another guy.

FORT Regular
    John asked "Will ANYONE take the guy over the money?"

Well...in REAL (versus Real-ity) life, I did!!! The last guy I dated before marrying my husband was a millionaire. He wanted to marry me, but I said no because as much as I liked him, I knew that I didn't truly LOVE him. Then, I met my (now) husband and was SO glad that I'd made that decision. We'll never be rich, but we are very much in love (15 years next month!)...I wouldn't trade the money for the guy!

In Real-ity TV-land, though, I understand what you're all saying. I don't think this show sounds all that different from the others, in that most of the women so far (ie: The Bachelor) have seemed to be competing more for money/competition, and not so much for the guy himself (even if they SAY that it's him they're interested in). Here they're actually being, perhaps, a bit more honest (: :rolleyes: ) about their goals!?

Perhaps I worded that a little wrong, Carlylicious...

Would you take a guy you and 14 other women had been dating for 5 weeks on a reality show, over 1 million dollars?

Well, it would depend on a) Is he good enough lawyer to make more than a million in reasonable short period of time and b) would it be definate mutual attraction [and c) if he would qualify for a) and b), then could you get him to marry you on the spot w/o prenuptials to guarantee the money anyway].

FORT Fogey
    I think true love is worth more than a million dollars, but it is NOT true love on these dating shows, and I would take ten dollars over a date with any of the guys on these dating shows.

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar
    point of parlimentary procedure...

let's not forget one caveat to all these shows... it's NOT a million dollars.

they 'prize' may be represented as one million, but then you have to calculate that out like lottery awards... it's spread over a certain period of time and taxed at the highest federal and state rate... if i win the massachusetts lottery for one million, i get that dispersed over 20 years, taxed at 39.1% federal and 5.5% state... that works out to about $28K a year for 20 years. and counting inflation, the last payout in 2023 would be worth only $15K in real dollars. the real reward is somewhere closer to $200K. not bad, but if all the people on this show are already successful (remember, they were brought in to meet their match, ala the bachelor, and never told about the money till the show started), how much of an incentive is $200K?

Enough for me.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Gosh, am I the only one that feels sorry for the guy here? It sounds like the women don't know about the $$ until they get there and that they don't know that they have to CHOOSE between him & the $$ until the end.

So, he's going to be like JM with women smarming over him because of the $$, but some of them will actually LIKE him and then he's supposed to CHOOSE one?

I don't know, it seems awfully cruel to set someone up like that.

And, Carlylicious, I went through the same thing - I turned down the millionaire, too.
    Why doesn't it make sense? Because we're on the wrong side of the tapestry...

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar
    my guess is they have to find a guy who starts out likeable, but by the end is insufferable, otherwise it's gonna be too hateful when the girl he chooses, thinking she's been falling in love with him, decides she'd rather have supplemental income instead...

unless there's another twist in it for him (mo' money?)

i get the feeling this show is gonna be down the rabbit hole and into the mind games, and no one will really know what's going on.
    For the fully aware, optimism is a revolutionary act.
    For everyone else, there's bitching and moaning.

FORT Fogey
    I can't feel any sort of sympathy for anyone who willingly goes on one of these dating shows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast