+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 8/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Since I've really become jaded with all these dating shows ending in splits soon after the show has aired, I loved the beginning of this show with the money aspect throwing a kink in everyone's thinking. But the finale was just pathetic and anticlimatic to me. I would have loved to have seen Rachel pick the guy, and the guy pick the money, or any other combination like that. The ending was just bleh to me. *yawn*
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

The thing that really bothered me about this show is that in FLoM2, Erin got $2million if the guy picked her over the money, so she got the money and the guy. It does not seem fair that in both FLoM 3 & 4 they got no money when the chosen person picked them over their cheques. As has been pointed out upthread (post #42), in these last two shows, because the person chosen has only one outcome out of 4 that they end up with the money of the 4 possible outcomes, statisticlally it is advatagous for them to pick the person over the money.

I also believe that Rachel believed that she would get some pay off for picking the guy over the money and that would be the final twist - we have to keep in mind when this was taped she had not seen the Preston & PJ finale and it is possible she did not know whether they had gotten any money. I believe that if she knew without a doubt that she would get no money if the guy gave up the money for her - she would have taken the money.

I knew once they showed Rachel and Caleb too upset to eat at that luncheon that both of them had strong feelings for each other and were really conflicted about whether they would choose the money or love. I couldn't believe it when they showed that shot of Caleb with his head on the table after Rachel left the room - I thought to myself - my God I think he's really fallen for her!

As for the longevity of the realtionship - if things aren't perfect between them, Rachel will become very bitter over the fact that she didn't pick the money and that could poison the ralationship. On the other hand since she has given up a million for this guy, she is pretty commited to make a go of it. Caleb is in a nuetral position, he didn't loose anything since his check was only $1 - so he doesn't have any vested interest in keeping it going or any reason to be resentful.
    Last edited by Krispy; 08-10-2004 at 12:50 PM.

Well, Caleb certainly knew how to play the game. He didn't fall for Rachel's agressiveness every time they were alone. He did have reservations about her behavior with the other men and rightly so. I believe Rachel liked the challenge in the fact that she couldn't manipulate Caleb by climbing all over him in the limo and "mauling" him. If Caleb was pissed he didn't bother to hide it from Rachel which made her have to open up more to him. In the end Rachel did win - she played the game and left both her options open at the end - if she really had strong feelings for the last man, choose him; if she had not strong feelings, choose the money. Caleb was able to finally say the words Rachel wanted to hear in that his feelings were so strong for her he was willing to take a chance and see what happens. Hopefully this wanna be actress, Rachel, won't be so focused on how well her character portrayal might be received by any directors/producers who might have happened to see the show, that the relationship can survive it. After all, her only agenda item might not have been the money - try acting career.

I wish them both good luck and hope my observations are wrong and they both are sincere in giving this relationship a try. Oh, one other note - Caleb lives in Phoenix and Rachel lives in Chicago.... hmmmmm! Distance romances??? I thought I heard Rachel say something to Dave on the 24 hour date if at the end of this they were together she might consider "commuting" from Denver (I am sure she said Denver) to Florida (not sure which city) so they could spend time together. Wonder how she plans to "spend time" with Caleb?

Since the site states that Rachel is an airline attendant, unless she works for a small local airline that only flies out of Chicago, she is pretty mobile and probably can live anywhere. Now if she wants to pursue an acting career - now that's a different story....

I also posted this on the "Rachel" thread . . .

Either Rachel was body-snatched or we've been had!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roseskid
    Well, I am surprised. I had Rachel figured out to take the money and run. It's a mystery to me why she would have chosen Caleb over the money. She was so conniving and such a schemer that it was difficult for me to watch last night. Her snitty comments like, (I'm paraphrasing here) "I need him to fall for precious, little me", and then she laughs that evil laugh just creeped me out. Talk about putting a sour taste in someone's mouth. Ugh. She is a very unpleasant woman. I would love to know how Caleb feels now after seeing all her behind the scenes comments. Bleh. *heads off in search of mouth wash*

Well, I have to say that ending blew donkeys . . . Didn't Rachel tell us repeatedly & up to 5 minutes before the elimination that she was all about the money??? Then she turns around and trashes her dream of these last many many weeks & wads her precious million up in a ball. For a personality-free guy who doesn't even like to kiss her? Devotion to the person she'd been dissing this whole time sprung up within minutes--who knew???

Why, Caleb & Rachel make Alex & Amanda from Bachelor 1 almost look like twue wuve, and who thought that was possible?

I can only think of two explanations for the strange outcome & why Caleb & Rachel both completely contradicted themselves. (Hint: Neither of them involves actual caring about each other.)

1. They were both body-snatched by aliens posing as them.

Or

2. The ending was engineered by the producers, completely. I have learned an inevitable truth in reality-show programming: Contestants do not have free will, regardless of what the PimpHost might tell us. I think they created the situation in which the last man standing had $1, & at some point informed Caleb of his 'mystery' value. Face it, even a bad date being manhandled by Rachel is worth more than a dollar. It was a choice between Rachel & a scratch-off lottery ticket or a bottle of water, pretty much, for Caleb.

Rachel was no doubt promised some kind of photo shoot or gig in the TV business in exchange for wadding up her beloved check. That whole weepy confessional scene where she told us "This whole thing just sucks right now!" was not the sobs of a girl faced with breaking the heart of a true love--I think that just before the cameras rolled, the producers told Rachel that she WOULD be choosing the guy, and she could kiss her check buh-bye.

Maybe another girl could be swayed by the thought that public opinion of her as a money-grubbing 'ho, should she choose the money over the guy would hurt too much and negatively impact her ability to get work in show business (Can anyone say "Darva Conger"?). And such thoughts might persuade another girl to choose the guy out of a desire to be thought of as a 'nice' person. I don't think Rachel had any such qualms. They held a gun to her head, metaphorically speaking.

When Rachel & Caleb left the set and the camera honed in on their discarded checks, we saw that they had been smoothed out and laid out so we could read them. That was another tip-off that this outcome was rigged--If you were, in fact, choosing love over money & you wanted to show your sincerity in doing this, wouldn't you shred the check into tiny little bits & throw it in the air like confetti? That's what I'd do--utterly destroy the check.

They weren't allowed to do that--I'm sure their instructions were to ball up the checks & place them carefully back on the ring stand so we could read them later.

I look forward to reading the break-up feature in People magazine next week.

How Good a Stewardess Could She Be?

Quote Originally Posted by Krispy
    Since the site states that Rachel is an airline attendant, unless she works for a small local airline that only flies out of Chicago, she is pretty mobile and probably can live anywhere. Now if she wants to pursue an acting career - now that's a different story....

From what we've seen of Rachel on this program, if she really is a flight attendant, I don't see how she could be a very good one.

While she has a cute figure & is OK-looking in the right light, her carriage & poise are terrible! Don't they teach flight attendants how to move gracefully in narrow spaces during training? Rachel's posture is the worst, and she'd certainly never win any evening gown competitions considering the gawky way she moves in her finery.

What I can't get over the most is the childish way she hunches over her food when she eats! Yoy. She seems way too klutzy & unpolished to work in her particular line of business. I don't think I'd want Rachel hovering over me with a pot of hot coffee . . .

Not to mention, she has no game face to speak of . . .that's why she was so hilarious to watch during this game. Every flicker of annoyance or anger registers on her face--she hides nothing, regardless of what she thinks about her poker-playing skills. I can easily see her giving attitude to a customer, and you just can't do that if you call yourself a customer-service professional.

The swimsuit-model thing is probably working out better for her, hence her desire to be on this show.

adm
    Caleb is so hot. I would've been sad if he'd picked her over the money and then she dumped him for the check. Although I might have liked it just fine if he'd taken the money, if only he didn't have the stinking buck.

I wish they'd bring back another total boob like Rob Campos to be the proposer in the end. I had no sympathy for him when Erin took the money over him. They almost had Rachel set up to be the boob on season 4, but they humanized her too much (not a lot, just a little too much) this time around.

Sigh. Predictable.

Well, well, well. I just read Caleb's interview on the NBC FLOM4 website. Very interesting. It seems our man Caleb did play a very good game. He says he had watched FLOM1 and FLOM2 and knew that because Rachel was being so agressive that she must have been playing for something, and after her slip up using Jordan's name instead of Morgan he was sure she had been on the show. He was hoping that by making it to the end and choosing Rachel over his mystery check, there might be the ending where like Erin and Chad, Rachel would split her check with him. He says he was surprised that Rachel had to make the choice of love or money, and she chose him, to quote his comment "You mean we get each other and that's it???" Oh yeah, he also mentions that he and Rachel have the basis for a good friendship. He says that at the end he forgot to tell Rachel he has a commitment phobia and doesn't get emotionally involved too easily.

He does comment that Rachel will be doing quite a bit of travelling across the country and her face till be seen again.

Blah, blah, yadda, yadda! No surprises here.

My, what a prince. :rolleyes Rachel got completely hosed. She should've been guaranteed the mil same as Erin - if the guy picked her, the cheque was hers.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

He would have been better off with the dollar!
    Interested in Titanic the game? click the link and watch this completely origional game play out. click here

+ Reply to Thread