+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Standards of Beauty

Standards of Beauty

I am feeling passionate about this. No attack is intended on other peoples opinions. I just would like to see us thinking about this a bit and this show is getting us all commenting on and judging the womens looks.

I am really curious about what other posters are using as your standard against which to measure beauty. I think all of these women are very good looking. Above average in every measure I know.

I think it is risky for women to be setting an unobtainable standard agaisnt which to measure themselves and others. For example on ER one of the actors who is an English woman plays a Doctor named Elizabeth who on the show looks barely average. Yet in person she is spectularly good looking and her hair is just amazing in its natural state. She is not 22 years old and fits no particular mold but is nonetheless simply beautiful.

If Barbie is our standard we are in trouble. I have seen some women in Hollywood who attempted to achieve Barbie like proportions and who are now aging. You know how totally wierd it is to see a aging lady with, destroyed by the sun, leathery complexion, skinny little arms and legs and big torpedo breasts hobbling along in very high heels. These women are trapped in their attempt to achieve beauty. Now they are gawked at, even laughed at and they have to live inside that skin, or is it perhaps they are slowly dying inside that skin.

The remainng contestants are obviously physically fit, beyond what I could hope for myself to achieve. Their complexions are near perfect, they have great hair and overall are quite pretty if not beautiful. So what we have then is the potential for Preston to actually consider who they are, and isn't that we as women want? To be considered according to who we are beyond our external appearance. Perhapos that is what the producers also perceive and are trying to meet what they believe is our real interst. To be seen for who we are.

That is my opinion and I am not sure exactly what brought it on but there you have it! . And yeah it turns out I did lecture here but you know it is for your own good fellow fortfans! Now go to your rooms and write a 500 hundred word essay on the topic of unrealistic American standards of beauty now being exported to the rest of the world!

FORT Fogey
    Thats weird because honestly when I was watching I kept thinking how average looking most of the women look. The few standouts to me are Rebekah, Jamie, and that other brunette with the million dollar check. I found the black girl(forgot her name) to be pretty also but the rest in my opinion are very average especially for a guy like Preston. I think alot of people look at "beautiful" as someone who is thin and keeps themselves up(great hair, makeup, clothes) but It doesnt matter to me whether a woman is plain or flashy, I look at facial features and not alot of women here have pretty faces to me. I see plenty of girls on the street who look like them so these women to me dont stand out in any way. I dont see any Halle berry's, Beyonce's, Catherine Zeta Jones, and so on.

I think as you get older, you get more comfortable in your own skin and start accepting yourself more for who you are. It's much harder growing up having to go to school and constantly feel judged. Women need to come to terms with who they are and stop comparing themselves to someone else. Make your own standard of beauty and in your standard you should always feel beautiful. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Dont let other people's opinions sway you.

This topic was discussed ad nauseum in the Average Joe forums.

Picking on their looks is just part of the fun in discussing the show. I sincerely doubt many, if any, posters hold Barbie (which is a child's toy, anyway) up to be a standard of female beauty.

Nothing personal against any of the contestants. That's just the nature of the boards.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane

Picking on their looks is just part of the fun in discussing the show. I sincerely doubt many, if any, posters hold Barbie (which is a child's toy, anyway) up to be a standard of female beauty.

Nothing personal against any of the contestants. That's just the nature of the boards.
    That's true, the more Nicole Kidman grows to look like Barbie, the less pretty I think she looks.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane

I must have missed the topic on Average Joe. Still I was not feeling this angst over the topic then either.

I have been reading many posts that are negative about the women's appearance and I wondered how others were feeling about it. I know there are books such as The Beauty Myth that delve into this topic but I haven't personally read them. I am quite comfortable discussing the clothing and personal style choices of the people on the shows. Somehow that feels different to me.

I understand us picking apart the contestants too, of course we do. Perhaps we will change the direction of our discussion as we get to know something about the people. Six shows isn't really enough time is it? Big Brother gives one more time to know the people.

Interesting topic. I enjoy hearing other opinions on these topics and thought I would throw mine out their as well.

From my point of view, I really don't think any of the FLOM women are ugly or less than average. That said, I merely go by my first impression of them when commenting on their appearance after the first episode. Although many of them are very pretty, thin and would look far better in a bathing suit than me, I wouldn't classify any of them as stunning or really beautiful...based on my first impression. It's just my personal opinion that none of them seemed to really "stand out from the others". This may definitely change as we see their personalities emerge and watch how they interact with each other. Some might even look uglier to me after watching them...based on their attitude and actions.

I agree we should not hold poeple to ridiculous standards and I don't feel that I do. I just express what I think about them as I watch the show. It is part of the fun of watching people who put themselves out there for all to see. It's not meant to be personal attack on anyone or a statement of how people should determine what beautiful is. To me, it is just an expression of my opinion (whatever that's worth) based on what was on TV that episode. I expected lots of pretty girls and a few exceptionally pretty...instead I think they are all just very pretty and kind of blend together.

As a side note, I don't view beauty as perfect. To me that standout person would be someone with really interesting or unique features/qualities, etc. that separate them from the others. I haven't seen it yet with this group but then again, there has only been 1 episode.
    Last edited by applesauce; 06-12-2004 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by applesauce
    As a side note, I don't view beauty as perfect. To me that standout person would be someone with really interesting or unique features/qualities, etc. that separate them from the others. I haven't seen it yet with this group but then again, there has only been 1 episode.

I agree! I get totally bored looking at someone with classic, perfect features, both men and women alike. Julia Roberts, however, has such an interesting face, very bright and fun to watch, never boring, yet her features are far from perfect. If you switched her mouth with someone else, they'd look like a clown, yet on her, it's her most beautiful asset.

We're all just millimeters away from perfection! A large nose can absolutely ruin an otherwise pretty face, ditto with eyes too close together or stained teeth, blemishes, circles under the eyes, etc. Yet with most people I know, the more I know them, the prettier they become. A great personality can correct any facial imperfection, in my opinion.

I agree....
    From what we've seen of these women so far, I like PJ the best, even though she's probably the least attractive based on current standards of beauty... I just like her because she seems like a nice person, although I do have to question how much sense she has for referring to Pressed-On as "Precious" But, like you said, Inside Out, a great personality can make someone really attractive.
    I think a lot of us (who may or may not be as attractive as these women) just like to pick apart everything about these contestants, simply because they are putting themselves out there (by coming into our livingrooms!) and they're fair game... It's got nothing to do with them personally, because we don't know them (usually) - we just do it because WE CAN!

I'm glad you posted this- I didn't see the other thread under Average Joe. (hey it's a new show!)

I have read with dismay the constant criticism of each person's features, etc...and never joined in. I don't see them that way. Sure there is one person who is perhaps more attractive initially than another one but I reserve judgement until the show progresses more. It is simply too superficial for my taste to pick at their hair and eyes and weight. I am not calling anyone else superficial...I said "for my taste".... Haven't you ever met someone that was perhaps stunningly beautiful but she became really ugly fast because of her behavior and/or actions? The reality show "characters" are the same way. Saying ewww, her hairdo, her nose, her beady eyes, etc... :rolleyes

Just my opinion tho. I know things won't change tho. Life is that way.

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    I agree - I'm a big feminist, i read the beauty myth (which I highly recommend to all by the way!!) and everything said in this thread about those issues is true. Standards of beauty suck.

Having said that, though...beauty does come at a premium in our society and being attractive is helpful. So, I like to be attractive. I, and all women really, compete with other women in this way to gain benefits in the world. And, I am human and sometimes, I am catty. A lot of us are this way, and if we weren't, these shows wouldn't be doing as well as they are. The fact is that these shows are watched mainly by women. And women are competitive. We criticize other women's looks, clothes, etc. The women on the show are doing it...the women watching it are doing it...it's kind of perverse, it's kind of sad, but it's what we do.

I wish I was secure or mature enough not do this ever...but alas, I don't think most of us are. I feel that I'm pretty good at not doing this in real life, so maybe reality TV is a good outlet for me to be catty. I also think these women are putting themselves out into the public domain in a show that really is all about superficial stuff, so I don't feel too bad criticizing their appearances OR their behavior...that's the price they pay for going on this kind of show. I hope I wouldn't hold them to these standards in real life, but I WILL hold their "characters" to these standards on TV.

Just my thoughts, but I'm glad you brought the topic up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast