+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Standards of Beauty

FORT Regular
    I compare them to my wife. And none of them can hold a candle to her

Premium Member
    I don't believe that society will ever evolve to the point where beauty is less valuable than character. In fact, I think things are going in the opposite direction. Now that we have the technology to fix the things we might have had to learn to live with 50 years ago, women are expected jump ever higher bars of perfection. "God, why doesn't she use some whitening strips, botox that forehead, and get those thighs liposuctioned?"

That's what I always thought was so ironic about Stepford Wives ... in the real world, it isn't men who'd be tricking them into it, the women would be happy volunteers. "So I won't be able to make decisions for myself anymore but my I'll look like a model? Cool! Sign me up!"

Quote Originally Posted by charlie9
    I agree - I'm a big feminist, i read the beauty myth (which I highly recommend to all by the way!!) and everything said in this thread about those issues is true. Standards of beauty suck.

Having said that, though...beauty does come at a premium in our society and being attractive is helpful. So, I like to be attractive. I, and all women really, compete with other women in this way to gain benefits in the world. And, I am human and sometimes, I am catty. A lot of us are this way, and if we weren't, these shows wouldn't be doing as well as they are. The fact is that these shows are watched mainly by women. And women are competitive. We criticize other women's looks, clothes, etc. The women on the show are doing it...the women watching it are doing it...it's kind of perverse, it's kind of sad, but it's what we do.

I wish I was secure or mature enough not do this ever...but alas, I don't think most of us are. I feel that I'm pretty good at not doing this in real life, so maybe reality TV is a good outlet for me to be catty. I also think these women are putting themselves out into the public domain in a show that really is all about superficial stuff, so I don't feel too bad criticizing their appearances OR their behavior...that's the price they pay for going on this kind of show. I hope I wouldn't hold them to these standards in real life, but I WILL hold their "characters" to these standards on TV.

Just my thoughts, but I'm glad you brought the topic up.
    Charlie, I don't know why, but I always assumed you were a guy. I guess it's the nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekh
    I compare them to my wife. And none of them can hold a candle to her
    What a good husband you are

I agree with everyone else here who states that their judgement of players on a tv dating game is way different than what we use on people in the 'real world'. And, as far as the girls on this show are confused, I think the majority of them do have knock-out bodies; but the way the show is promoted I would have also expected faces to match and these girls just don't have them in my opinion. I do see a lot of women out in public that I'd call far prettier than the women on this show. I suspect it's due in large part to the facts that
    A) It's rare to have a "total package' of great body and face especially when they are on film not just still photos.
    B) The producers can only select from folks who actually want to do the show, and can get time away from their other obligations to participate.
    C) The producers probably don't want the majority of the competitors to be so physically perfect that we can't identify with them at all.
    Just some thoughts on the subject. Anyway, for me being catty and mean about the competitors is the main reason for even watching these shows. And yeah, I don't look all that good anymore, but I still pick on these people....it's fun.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Interesting topic...don't know what to say though...hahaha...
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

Come to think of it, I've seen contestants in pageants such as Ms. America and Ms. Universe who aren't as pretty as women I've seen working behind the counter at the dry cleaners or riding their bike on the strand at the beach. Of course these beauty contestants are absolutely beautiful, but they're not necessarily the MOST beautiful women in the world. They're just willing to enter these pageants in hopes of winning the prize. Same with these reality TV contestants ... of course there are hundreds of thousands of other women in their age group who are 10 times prettier than they are ... they just don't want to compete on a reality TV show such as For Love Or Money or The Bachelor.

Has anyone seen the movie, "Shallow Hal" with Jack Black? Now THAT'S a fun movie to watch, and so pertinent to this thread.

I loved Shallow Haland I wanted to join in this thread. I do judge people on reality shows differently than in real life. My new "thing" is hair. I think the time spent on hair shows what type of person you are. If you spend a lot of time to make it look perfect, well, more power to you. If you're the type to just bob it out of your way so that you can get going, cool. My personal worst thing that I don't understand is when your hair is all fluffy and flowing and then you have these flat bangs that stick to your forehead diagonally-what's that about? And to constantly wipe over them w/your fingers. I want to take a pair of scissors and chop the heck out of them! Spike 'em!!

Feels a connection w/ you charlie9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Charlie, I don't know why, but I always assumed you were a guy. I guess it's the nick.
    Maybe because of my gaydar? But I'm a chick.

Dang, Charlie, I had a little bit of a crush on you!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast