+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real or scripted: Your thoughts

Real or scripted: Your thoughts

Can't know for sure, but do you think this show/people were all "real" or "scripted". And why?

FORT Regular

Scripted

Quote Originally Posted by tv_is_fake
    Can't know for sure, but do you think this show/people were all "real" or "scripted". And why?
    I didn't watch 4LOM2 from the beginning, only the finale. This is why I think it
    was scripted. There were three points of suspense. 1) Would the guy Erin
    chose pick her or the million? 2) Who would Erin pick? 3) Would Erin dump the
    guy she picks and pocket the two million?

1) Both guys in interviews prior to the final pick indicated they did not trust
    Erin and would probably go with the money.

2) After Erin picks Chad, he hems and haws about how great she is, then says
    "but..." as if he is going to take the money. (commercial break) Then he
    chooses her. whew, that was a close one, or was it? Did Chad really have the
    smarts to generate such suspense, or was his answer scripted?

3) When Erin is talking to Wade, she sings his praises lavishly, and he has a
    clinched grin on his face, as if when she chooses him, he's going to dump her.
    After she does tell him he is not her choice, he says that he would definitely
    have taken her over the money, which seemed a change of heart, or a
    rationalization to make himself not a gold-digger.

The fact that all this suspence has built, and that before each of the
    several commercial breaks at the end, the conversation is going in the
    opposite direction of the eventual outcome, I think it was all scripted.

4) Of course, as Erin is explaining to Chad, after choosing him, about her
    history with the show, he acts as if he is expecting to get dumped for the
    two million. Erin reassures him that her feelings are real and hauls out the
    check for $1 million on the spot and makes it out to him.

5) Chad is very good-looking and there was physical chemistry between him and
    Erin, but honestly, would they have anything to talk about after a month?

I just think this show was good romantic escapism. On one of the other
    "reality" shows, one of the characters says "Just tell me what to say and
    I'll say it."

KEN

realKen,
    Great post. You have now been added to the elite list of my fav poster in my siggy. Ofcourse, i'm fairly new so i still haven't read a lot of people's posts. But only takes one really good post to get on my siggy.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    All reality shows are scripted, and it's a really sad day when that realization comes to you..
    That sad , I enjoyed parts of the show- certainly Erins show more than Robs...

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    All reality shows are scripted, and it's a really sad day when that realization comes to you...
    The finale of FLOM2 and this season's BB confirmed what viewers are starting to suspect - that these shows are either heavily scripted or rigged.

rigged or scripted i kind of expect and don't mind. what bothers me is that they rig them for happy endings. that's just not why i watch. i don't get warm or fuzzy feelings when it all works out. i just feel cheated of the good stuff (humiliation, loss of dignity, the embarrassment that reality dating show contestants earn over the course of the taping).

searching for madness PrincessRight's Avatar
    Half of me wants to think that everything was scripted, but the other half believes that Erin really did fall in love with Chad. For someone who acted like the Ice Princess with Rob in FLOM1, her body language in FLOM2 was a dead giveaway. But then, of course, what if she's just a fine (closet) actress whose goal was to achieve momentary fame at all cost? To tell you the truth, I myself fell in love with Chad V. even before Erin started to warm up to him! So, let's face it, it's possible for someone like Erin to find love in a stupid dating show and find wealth in the process. In this lifetime where half of the world is divorced, I'll take a happy ending anytime!

My belief is that even if the confessionals/dialogues were coached for television, the emotions we all saw were real! JMO

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessRight
    Half of me wants to think that everything was scripted, but the other half believes that Erin really did fall in love with Chad. For someone who acted like the Ice Princess with Rob in FLOM1, her body language in FLOM2 was a dead giveaway. But then, of course, what if she's just a fine (closet) actress whose goal was to achieve momentary fame at all cost? To tell you the truth, I myself fell in love with Chad V. even before Erin started to warm up to him! So, let's face it, it's possible for someone like Erin to find love in a stupid dating show and find wealth in the process. In this lifetime where half of the world is divorced, I'll take a happy ending anytime!

My belief is that even if the confessionals/dialogues were coached for television, the emotions we all saw were real! JMO
    I don't know whether they're scripted (as in fed actual lines to say) or just strongly advised as to the content of what they say and the order in which to say it, but there's definitely some strong coaching going on at key points.

I think this is especially true when there actually happens to be a strong front-runner right from the beginning--as in the main contestant really is falling for one of the bachelors/bachelorettes--and the producers would have a really boring show if they didn't engineer some drama. I came to this whole reality dating thing pretty late in the game (I've only watched the last half of Andrew Firestone bachelor, the end of FLOM1, and FLOM2), so maybe I'm less jaded than those of you who have been down this road many times before.

I read an article where Andrew F. said that he fell for Jen pretty hard toward the beginning, and the producers were telling him that he had to act interested in the other girls and were remininding him that he was contractually obligated to kiss them (which I must say he seemed to have no problem doing, but the body language was much more relaxed and natural with Jen. And Erin's body language indicated the same sort of attraction to Chad.)
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Aggie
    It Wasn't Scripted But They Were Coached. I Used To Know Wade And That Wasn't Him.

FORT Regular
    All reality is T.V. is scripted!!! Surpising? Not really. All you have to do is watch the shows. There is a plot line that has to be followed. It might be really loose. The producers might only get involved very rarely, but they do. There is a lot of money at stake for everyone involved.

Well I will use Big Brother (BB) as an example. This is only hypothectical. BB is not only watching all the time but it also gets involved in the show. The people that are voted off are predetermined. All the houseguests have to do is get the show to the position were these people are being voted off. The producers really don't know how the people are going to react to all of the houseguests and this makes it difficult to choose. That is why in BB 4 most viewers couldn't stand the final two. The producers thought that these two would be the ones that would be most well liked in the house, so these were the ones that were going to win. (most everyone wants to see a happy ending, only jaded people like me don't) Also there was a 13th house guest the was thrown off the show very early for bad behaviour. Then their ex was kicked out that week. This makes it look very suspisous that the couple was only put in for one purpose, to have someone kicked out of the house. There are other things like how people play that game that don't ring true, but that is enough for now.

If Erin didn't get the guy would there have been a For Love Or Money 3? I think not. The end was predetermined.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast