+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Reunion Special Recap - 09/01

The Reunion Special Recap - 09/01

When For Love or Money 2 began, it was billed as a six week summer series. In week three NBC added two episodes, which was great for ad revenue, but bumped the series finale to a Labor Day showing. What to do, what to do?

Ah! A reunion show! Stretch the series one more week, exploit the contestants one more time AND gain 22 more minutes of primetime advertising! It’s perfect!

This week, the producers reunited most of the cast members from For Love or Money and it’s sequel to rehash their experiences on the show. The reunion was hosted by Karyn Bryant, who termed the series a ‘cultural phenomenon” which drew 22 million viewers for Erin’s rejection of Rob.

After the rapid-fire introduction of the contestants Erin makes her grand entrance. Not only is she wearing another strange top/blouse/camisole thingy, but I’m ‘taken back’ by the thin diamond anniversary band on Erin’s right hand.

Erin confesses she thought Rob would choose Paige or Kelly, and once again annoys me by saying, “I was taken back.” back, back, aback. As in, I was taken aback by the prospect of Erin in broadcasting.

Karyn announces Paige as, “The one lady all of America fell in love with: Paige Jones.”

Paige reveals that she would have chosen Rob over the money. When an audience member asked if she thought her age or maturity level was a factor in Rob’s final decision, Paige responded, “Until the show aired, I never really realized I seemed so young.” Seeing herself on television seems to have contributed to said maturity, and the rest of Paige’s answer makes the audience (and me) laugh: “I can’t comment on Rob’s maturity level.”

Erin and Paige are seated center stage as video clips and confessionals recap season one. While Paige and Erin seemed very chummy, I wondered why they were seated as far away from one another as possible and clutching the arms of the sofa.

Enter Rob. “The man who keeps coming back for more.” Like a bad penny Rob returns and sits between Erin and Paige. Thankfully, he’s had a haircut.

We are treated to scenes of ‘intimate moments’ between Paige and Rob, including the final elimination ceremony in which Rob tells Paige he’d have a better chance with Erin. Then we see a tearful Paige afterward in confessional, crying as though her heart was broken irrevocably. Karyn asked Paige if she would ever recover. “I have. Rob made the best choice.”

Karyn then revealed that Rob and Paige had been in touch since the show’s end, first by email, then later by cell phone. Paige blushed madly, then blamed the heat when Karyn pointed out the sparks that obviously still exist between the two.

Rob was asked if he had any trouble dating since he obviously broke Paige’s heart. Rob revealed that he was once stood up four times in one week. ( I say)

When Kayrn announced ‘a few moments that sparked controversy’ I thought we might be introduced to a *real* surprise guest, say a female cadet from JAG or something. But no, it was only footage from the Boot Incident and Ring Around the Jacuzzi scenes.

Karyn noted that Christina appeared to be most affected by Rob’s behavior, to which Christina responded, “I came here looking for love, and I got Rob. And a boot.”

Lauren concurred and commented on the amount of pressure the girls felt during the Boot Incident, saying Rob had asked her to remove his boot, the cameras were rolling and she felt as though she had to play along. (No pressure Lauren. Just say no to public humiliation.)

Karyn asked Paige why she seemed to be the only one not bothered by Rob’s antics. “All I did was hear about these things. You may not have noticed, but I wasn’t in the spa, wasn’t in the room for the boot thing,” said Paige. “And I wondered – this is a competition after all – part of me wondered if what they were telling me was the truth.”

When asked if he had any regrets about his final decision, Rob first said he had no regrets, then followed up with “Obviously I wouldn’t have chosen [Erin] if I had known.”

Before commercial break, Karyn treats us to a ‘never before seen moment – the Love or Money Olympics.” In a hilarious shot, Laura challenges a competitive Rob to a race in the pool. On the count of three Rob dives into the pool and begins swimming like mad while Laura sprints down the side of the pool, jumps in just before the end and appears to reach her mark seconds before Rob.

As Rob surfaces he is stunned to see that Laura won the race. The girls all keep a straight face and Erin calls the pulling of this old gag, “the highlight” of her time with the other girls at the mansion. “We never did tell him,” she said.

Next we are shown clips from confessional moments that didn’t quite make the series.
    Paige and Kelly teased their hair, painted their faces and carried on about how they would spend the money, Wade came to confessional topless, and stuck the sticky pad of the microphone to his chest. (Even funnier when removed); Vic looks into the camera and says, “I have nothing to say. I am bored. This is boring.”

Karyn then tells us we will be treated to a dramatic re-enactment of an intimate moment from FLOM2. Cut away to Greg coaxing Wade to participate in mimicking a passionate moment between Erin and Eric. It was good to see that Greg, who was presented as somber and humorless during most of the series, actually had a great sense of humor.

Moving on to the male contestants, Vic is introduced as the “only one to eliminate himself” from the competition. She points out that Jordan said his offer started at $10,000, and wonders why Vic took the cash prize to leave the show so quickly. Vic said, “We didn’t know how the increments were going to go. I thought someone else might take the offer. I saw it as a good chance to control my destiny.”

Erin confesses that Greg was actually the man she planned to eliminate that night. When Karyn asks Vic if he would make the same choice again, he responded. “Yes. Ten Grand? Let’s go!”

In a telling moment, Karyn asked the women if they would have opted out if given a cash alternative. From my vantage point, each of the women contestants (except Paige and Erin) raised her hand.

Clips of Eric at his most dramatic were up next. Eric had the good grace to laugh at himself. When Karyn pointed out that Eric was the one the other men liked least, Eric responded, “I was ostracized by the others, but it seems warranted. I was being sincere, though I came off as drama queen-ish.”

Just now, Richard (who hasn’t returned my emails since I confessed to being smitten with his blue eyes in an earlier recap) defends Eric’s portrayal, saying “It doesn’t feel like Reality TV when you’re in it.”

The tension created between by Eric’s comments at Vic’s reverse-elimination ceremony was brought up for discussion. Vic, who consistently had the best one-liners for the series, quipped, “I apparently sold my soul on eBay.”

“I got caught up in the moment,” said Eric. “I never meant it as an indictment of Vic.”

Later, Karyn asked Paige for her reaction to Rob’s return to the show. “I thought he was back for revenge,” said Paige. “I realize now he had strong feelings for Erin. I think that’s noble. Admirable. I respect that.”

The audience was asked which of the former contestants would make a good couple and picked Kelly & Vic, Paige & Eric and Christine & Munch.

Clips of Chad and Wade were shown and the contestants were polled as to whom they thought Erin would choose. Chad snagged 13 votes, Wade 10.

Wade and Chad make their entrance on the balcony, but do not speak during the reunion segment. Erin looks excited to see both men. Wade looks sad and dejected.

I’m thinking this was a set up by the producers. “Hey, Wade. When you go on camera, we want you to look really upset, okay?” Whomever Erin chose, I’m thinking Wade is naturally too outgoing, too upbeat to be carrying a grudge or nursing a broken heart. It seems we are being pointed toward Erin picking Chad, so Wade may walk away the winner after all.

Well folks, what started out as a six week summer job has turned into a nine week, oh- Lord-will-it-ever-end-the-kids-are-back-in-school recapping nightmare. Thankfully, we will all be put out of our collective miseries next Monday in a two-hour finale.

In the meantime, be watching for our interview with Eric Ferch coming soon.

Questions or comments about this recap? Bumpkin@fansofrealitytv.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    Karyn asked Paige why she seemed to be the only one not bothered by Rob’s antics. “All I did was hear about these things. You may not have noticed, but I wasn’t in the spa, wasn’t in the room for the boot thing,” said Paige. “And I wondered – this is a competition after all – part of me wondered if what they were telling me was the truth.”

Well folks, what started out as a six week summer job has turned into a nine week, oh- Lord-will-it-ever-end-the-kids-are-back-in-school recapping nightmare. Thankfully, we will all be put out of our collective miseries next Monday in a two-hour finale.

Questions or comments about this recap? Bumpkin@fansofrealitytv.com.
    So where was Paige during the Boot/Hot Tub?? Everyone else was there. Hmmmm

Also, didn't you hear that they've extended the series to another 3 weeks?!? Okay, KIDDING!!

Very Nice Recap, Bumpkin, thank you for a great job.
    mom2

FORT Newbie

priceless!

this whole damn recap is priceless!
    thanks for keeping me up to date on the show. if I manage to make it from Baghdad to Istanbul by Sunday (no mean feat: involves several unknown swarthy taxi drivers, big wads of cash, one wing, one prayer and at least 8 hours dodging highway robbers) I can watch the Grand FINALE and believe you me I WILL! i'm not sure who i am supposed to be rooting for in order to achieve the emotional heights expected of me -- Wade, the apparent underdog?

woooooog, repatriated.

FORT Regular
    Nice recap Bumpkin!

Wade was probably genuinely upset - at how his hair looked! But other than that, he looked hotter than I'd ever seen him look on the show. For some reason.

LG.
    Bumpkin, I was taken back by your recap. You've done a super job with this series.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

wow! i thought you'd have this week off, but great job making something out of nothing.

bumpkin = much harder working than erin, rob, paige or any other former reality show contestant trying to make it in LA.

Thanks Bumpkin for continuing to be a glutton for punishment and sitting through yet another thrilling episode of Money, Money, Where's the Money?

I agree with our friend Brock that there was nothing surprising. All the players were careful not to offend the producers or they might not be allowed to speak - is that what happened to our friend Brock? I was waiting anxiously to enjoy some of his twisted humor but alas he is probably in the producers "naughty" list - you rock Brock! You could tell that tell the questions from our hostess were carefully scripted as were the majority of answers from the players. If you promised to answer properly you got air time but if not off to the gallows with you.

Some of the outtakes were funny. Alas, there were no behind the scenes revelaitons as a defence to the scenes that were actually aired, i.e. Greg's (I really liked him) seemingly lack of interaciton with Erin - was there stuff that happened but we did not see that sealed Greg's fate to get the heave ho. I guess that would shed a poor light on the season finale..... Gasp! Don't we all truly believe the scenes that are shown are exactly what happened? Don't we all live in caves (sorry Brock) and are totally gullable like NBC wouldn't lead us on to increase ratings. NOT, WHATEVER.... I was disappointed that FLOM2 men did not get as much voice as the FLOM1 ladies which leads me to ask why so much Paige time, would have loved to hear more from Kelly or Laura or Lauren. I would have loved to hear more from funny man Dan and especially our main man Sean, but I guess it depends who's on the "naughty" or "nice" list.

Anyway, I guess our "special treat" was the appearance of Chad and Wade which was for show only as they could not be allowed to speak because we don't know the end result yet.

I seem cynical but like most am addicted to watching - much like staring into the eyes of a snake even though it will probably bite.

Great recap Bumpkin!

I've never seen the show before, but that didn't matter. Your recap was peppered with humor that would make any reality TV viewer giggle.

Thanks, Bumpkin, for a great recap!

Just have to add my two cents to the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    Karyn then tells us we will be treated to a dramatic re-enactment of an intimate moment from FLOM2. Cut away to Greg coaxing Wade to participate in mimicking a passionate moment between Erin and Eric. It was good to see that Greg, who was presented as somber and humorless during most of the series, actually had a great sense of humor.
    I also thought Wade was hilarious when playing the "fair Erin." I've already taped over it so, I can't go back, but there was some heavy-duty mocking going on there ("I'm Erin. I'm so pretty, blah, blah, blah"). Interesting, since he was supposedly so smitten with her by that point.

Can't wait for the interview with Eric. How rude of Richard to cold-shoulder you. He should be flattered that you like his baby-blues. You have impeccable taste.

Speaking of which, I agree that Erin's top was butt-ugly. The amazing thing is that it keeps turning up everywhere. Sarah Michelle Gellar and some other woman both wore it to the same event and had a picture taken together that was on one of those celeb fashion slide shows. Sorry, but I couldn't track the picture down. (For anyone who actually likes the top, I'm happy to announce that it comes in all the basic easter egg colors--turquoise, yellow, pink.)

For some reason, it reminds me of that terrible blouse that Robert chose as a dress for Erin on Cupid. (Sorry, I know it's a different show, but those of you who watch both know what I mean. )
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

Job well done, Bumpkin!

Richard is a hottie. He managed to get even better looking since the taping of FLOM 1. I can't believe Erin let him go so early. I would have kept him around -- even if it was only for eye candy purposes.

I think Paige and Rob have more to say than they are telling.

Rob's new haircut doesn't look any better than his other one.

Could Erin have made herself any smaller on the couch? It was funny to see her wedge herself in to the corner of the sofa after Rob came out to join the group. It was obvious she didn't want to have anything to do with him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast