+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco

FORT Regular

San Francisco

What did Erin's friend mean when she said "Chad might be like any other guy from San Francisco". Does anyone have a clue??

people who live in the bay area now can correct me because i haven't lived there for a few years but here is my understanding of what that kind of guy is: a good (straight) catch who knows it all too well, therefore he likes to string as many women along as possible.
    i remember hearing something that amounted to an urban legend regarding a straight guy who shot down a girl for pretty superficial reasons with some long email treastise about how straight guys are in short demand in san francisco therefore she had better get her act together if she wanted to land one. it went on and on about how many opportunities he had, how he was weeding these out, and what she could change to make it further along with another one of these "endangered species."
    the way this story gets told, the email writer is not very good looking or that great of a guy. the moral being even mediocre straight guys feel this empowered in the bay area. what they may have been saying is that chad thinks of himself as a scarce commodity, therefore he'd be more likely to take the money, head back to San Francisco and comfort himself with 100 desperate straight girls.
    i'd like to add that the "straight guys are in short demand" is really more legend than true, but it does (or did) affect the het dating scene in the bay area.

Thanks, 'crastinator. Very interesting.

They showed the friend saying really positive things about the other two, but I don't remember her saying anything super positive about Chad. They may just have edited it out, but here's all that I remember her saying.

When Erin said, "and what if he weren't from San Francisco?" didn't the friend just say something like, "well just ask yourself which one will bring you closest to what you came here to do?" (which could mean anything, and could also have been edited from anywhere in the conversation.)?

Was there a positive reaction and I just missed it?

FORT Newbie
    I had wondered about that comment about doing what she came here to do as well. Hmmm. Either her friend knows about the 2 million and that is what Erin is there for OR nope, I think that comment means that Erin is purely after the money.

Quote Originally Posted by realitytvfan
    I had wondered about that comment about doing what she came here to do as well. Hmmm. Either her friend knows about the 2 million and that is what Erin is there for OR nope, I think that comment means that Erin is purely after the money.
    Jordan did say loudly that her friend is brought up today on all the developments plus she talked to Erin in between FLOMs for sure.
    *A man's maturity-consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play. (Nietzsch)*

FORT Newbie
    Miss Griss,

When Erin said "What if he wasn't from SF?" The friend responded with "He could still have the attitude". I know this because I had it taped and I remember rewinding it because I couldn't hear what her original response was. Hope this helps although the comment wasn't terribly positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy11
    Miss Griss,

When Erin said "What if he wasn't from SF?" The friend responded with "He could still have the attitude". I know this because I had it taped and I remember rewinding it because I couldn't hear what her original response was. Hope this helps although the comment wasn't terribly positive.
    I had it taped too, but I hear: "I would still think the same".
    Danagabrielle

Quote Originally Posted by 'crastinator
    people who live in the bay area now can correct me because i haven't lived there for a few years but here is my understanding of what that kind of guy is: a good (straight) catch who knows it all too well, therefore he likes to string as many women along as possible.
    i remember hearing something that amounted to an urban legend regarding a straight guy who shot down a girl for pretty superficial reasons with some long email treastise about how straight guys are in short demand in san francisco therefore she had better get her act together if she wanted to land one. it went on and on about how many opportunities he had, how he was weeding these out, and what she could change to make it further along with another one of these "endangered species."
    the way this story gets told, the email writer is not very good looking or that great of a guy. the moral being even mediocre straight guys feel this empowered in the bay area. what they may have been saying is that chad thinks of himself as a scarce commodity, therefore he'd be more likely to take the money, head back to San Francisco and comfort himself with 100 desperate straight girls.
    i'd like to add that the "straight guys are in short demand" is really more legend than true, but it does (or did) affect the het dating scene in the bay area.

I've lived in the Bay Area for close to 10 years now and, though I have a long-term BF, I'm aware of the local dating scene for people in their late 20s/early 30s by living vicariously through my single friends (women). You've got it pretty much right, 'crastinator. The social scene in this age group does seem to be smaller than in other large cities - perhaps due to the straight/gay ratio in the 20s/30s male population. In addition to having slim pickins, my women friends say there seems to be an attitude that many guys are always on the lookout for someone else (better fit/"connection" - heard that alot here) to come along - and thus remain too distracted or noncommital for anything to develop. I certainly understand that both parties want that "connection" or "spark" but people here seem to be less willing to try to see if it's there or if it develops. The attitude seems to be "everything's cool with you and me right now but I'm keeping my eye out in case someone else comes along who floats my boat better than you, I'm outta here, you know?" It almost seems like a speed dating event that lasts 2 weeks or a month...
    Nothing is as terrible to see as ignorance in action. (Goethe)

That comment she made about Chad wasn't really fair. I mean, she just met him 2 minutes before saying that. From what I have seen, Chad doesn't strike me as "any other SF guy." He has shown a lot of qualities that separate him from being a "typical guy." I think she was shortchanging him.

Quote Originally Posted by redney
    I've lived in the Bay Area for close to 10 years now and, though I have a long-term BF, I'm aware of the local dating scene for people in their late 20s/early 30s by living vicariously through my single friends (women). You've got it pretty much right, 'crastinator. The social scene in this age group does seem to be smaller than in other large cities - perhaps due to the straight/gay ratio in the 20s/30s male population. In addition to having slim pickins, my women friends say there seems to be an attitude that many guys are always on the lookout for someone else (better fit/"connection" - heard that alot here) to come along - and thus remain too distracted or noncommital for anything to develop. I certainly understand that both parties want that "connection" or "spark" but people here seem to be less willing to try to see if it's there or if it develops. The attitude seems to be "everything's cool with you and me right now but I'm keeping my eye out in case someone else comes along who floats my boat better than you, I'm outta here, you know?" It almost seems like a speed dating event that lasts 2 weeks or a month...
    Would there be anything wrong with Erin just asking him about that? Even--"you must have a bunch of girlfriends in SF, there being so many girls available there?" Maybe she did ask about that and they didn't show us.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast