+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is "edginess" and why is it a good thing?

FORT Newbie

What is "edginess" and why is it a good thing?

I'm an old fogey, so I don't understand this term. What does it mean? Why is it desirable? Please provide examples of well-known persons who do and do not possess this quality. (That sounds like a final exam. Sorry, I just finished a few!)

Thanks (in advance) for enlightening me.
    "This week, I'd like to achieve self-actualization...either that or finish painting the bathroom."

Edgy = unpredictable and dangerous, but not actually harming anyone. You know, the guy who you can picture kicking butt, but doesn't actually DO it.

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Edgy = unpredictable and dangerous, but not actually harming anyone. You know, the guy who you can picture kicking butt, but doesn't actually DO it.
    Really? What the hell is the point in that? I thought it meant someone who was actuaaly dangerous from time to time... if it's all a look, then who cares?
    For the fully aware, optimism is a revolutionary act.
    For everyone else, there's bitching and moaning.

Quote Originally Posted by brockdrywall
    Really? What the hell is the point in that? I thought it meant someone who was actuaaly dangerous from time to time... if it's all a look, then who cares?
    Catherine Trammel from "Basic Instinct" is edgy. Why? Because you truly do not know what to expect of her next. She is walking on the edge of good and evil.
    *A man's maturity-consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play. (Nietzsch)*

FORT Newbie
    Aha. Thanks for explaining, all. As I suspected, "edginess" is a quality I think I can do w/out. Give me a nice, decent, kind, intelligent sort any day.

I've *been* in a relationship with a guy who was all about "edginess" (as I now understand it), and he took that quality too far. No thanks!
    "This week, I'd like to achieve self-actualization...either that or finish painting the bathroom."

Women THINK they want edgy, but maybe only for a fling. You'd never marry edgy, or offer to get a joint checking account.

i dunno... i don't think it has to go as far as that basic instinct character. edgy, by my definition, can be merely sarcastic and sometimes dark. you know, someone who doesn't necessarily like everybody and has a snide thing to say every once i a while (or if you are on the FORT, possibly every few hours).

Hug me!
    the fact is that women like edgy guys because they think that they can change their men. :rolleyes

Quote Originally Posted by ruben_of_205
    the fact is that women like edgy guys because they think that they can change their men. :rolleyes
    We like edgy guys because they are less boring.
    *A man's maturity-consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play. (Nietzsch)*

FORT Newbie
    "Women THINK they want edgy, but maybe only for a fling. You'd never marry edgy, or offer to get a joint checking account. " (John)

I agree with you. At least, that's true (now) for me. But then, I've been around the block several times now. And I'm worse for the wear.

I'll take "boring" over "dangerous" any time!

I was once watching "Gone With the Wind" w/a friend, and cringed during the scene where Rhett Butler takes Scarlett's head in his drunken hands and slurs something to the effect that he could crush her head if he wanted to. Scarlett says something like "Fiddledee-dee, you're drunk...blah blah blah". I commented that, having been in "dangerous" relationship before, that was a hard scene for me to watch. My friend, I guess forgetting for the moment what I've been through, blithely remarked that she thought it was exciting. I have to say that made me sick to my stomach. No one who's ever truly felt threatened or endangered would find such a thing "exciting". Or if they do, something's wrong.

I'd advise women who go for "edginess" to be careful, that's all. As for me, I'm really into "boring", which is often mistaken (IMO) for stability, kindness, integrity, and responsibility.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast