+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBC = The Lying Network

FORT Fogey

NBC = The Lying Network

First, they get some people together and tell them that they have been chosen to participate in a reality dating show where the big prize is to be chosen for reasons of "true love." We all know how true that is.

Next, they change the name of the show and throw in the money factor by telling the participants that if they get chosen, they will also receive a million dollars. This is not even close to the truth, since the money is paid out (after taxes) over FORTY LONG YEARS and ends up being a lot less.

After that, another lie gets thrown into the mix when they tell the contestants that they must choose between the man/woman or the money.

"OK," I hear you saying, "We know all that." Well then, how about this one? They said during FLOM - the original - that if Erin chooses the money, she will NEVER see Rob again! Remember that? I do, because I was writing the damn recap.

Guess what? On next week's show, Erin and Rob have a reunion. At least that's what NBC promised us last night and we even hear Erin saying, "Hello Rob."

However, they could be lying!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirl
    First, they get some people together and tell them that they have been chosen to participate in a reality dating show where the big prize is to be chosen for reasons of "true love." We all know how true that is.

Next, they change the name of the show and throw in the money factor by telling the participants that if they get chosen, they will also receive a million dollars. This is not even close to the truth, since the money is paid out (after taxes) over FORTY LONG YEARS and ends up being a lot less.

After that, another lie gets thrown into the mix when they tell the contestants that they must choose between the man/woman or the money.

"OK," I hear you saying, "We know all that." Well then, how about this one? They said during FLOM - the original - that if Erin chooses the money, she will NEVER see Rob again! Remember that? I do, because I was writing the damn recap.

Guess what? On next week's show, Erin and Rob have a reunion. At least that's what NBC promised us last night and we even hear Erin saying, "Hello Rob."

However, they could be lying!
    Or how credible are the Mr. Obvious' (I love the name!) remarks ala "X of you will be eliminated tonight. Enjoy your day!" or "One of you is a millionaire".
    *A man's maturity-consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play. (Nietzsch)*

Let's face it, money is the whole name of the game and the bottom line besides. NBC isn't worried about integrity, broken hearts, smashed egos, or sticking to any agendas or promises. They're just giddy with excitement because the ratings are up on a show they own which is using free talent. Sometimes I think these networks are dreaming up so many new reality shows because they're so cheap compared to sitcoms (i.e., Friends, at a $1 million paycheck per episode per actor). In comparison, reality shows are pretty cost effective. NBC will do whatever it takes to keep the public guessing, tuning in, and clamoring for more. If they have to bend the truth or change the rules a little bit to tweak the ratings a little higher, then they're going to do whatever it takes. Even lie.

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar
    Yep. They're a bunch of forward-thinking altruists there... it's schadenfreude for all, and they can keep suckering folks into participating because unlike in every other area of life, they are under no obligation to disclose fully, and even worse, contestants are contractually banned from talking about the making of the show, so word never gets out how underhanded and scripted it all really is.

So let it be said. It's all scripted and underhanded. Believe nothing you see.

Excepting, of course, the extravagance and expense put into the locales and dates. They really did get to drive the same car as in FLOM1! They really did get to go to an amusement park! And steal ideas from other shows to dine at the Hollywood Bowl! Ooooh, the glamour! I bet Audrey Hepburn is looking down from on high wishing she could have experienced the high life in such style..
    For the fully aware, optimism is a revolutionary act.
    For everyone else, there's bitching and moaning.

CaliGirl -- For the record, Rob reappears in two weeks.

Anyone else notice that Erin didn't seem surprised to see Rob?

I'm guessing this comes after one of the guys takes the money and runs. She looked pretty beat up in the previews.

I imagine by the time she sees Rob, she will realize that NBC never intended to treat her with kid gloves, and won't be surprised.

And Mimi - your point about unpaid labor made me wonder - does an appearance on a reality show entitle someone to an actor's union card?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    And Mimi - your point about unpaid labor made me wonder - does an appearance on a reality show entitle someone to an actor's union card?
    I suspect the network lawyers have found (or designed) a clause (aka loophole) that will get around that little obstacle. I'm not at all sure, but I suspect that an actor's union card would not only mean the contestants would have to pay money to join, but that the networks would have to pay them a minimum rate for their appearance.

The networks are making a load of money off of these contestants, and I think it's insane that they pay them as little as they do for their participation. Wasn't it mentioned that they only get $50 per diem? I thought that was a joke at first. If that's really the case, I think that's just criminal.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    I'm guessing this comes after one of the guys takes the money and runs. She looked pretty beat up in the previews.

I imagine by the time she sees Rob, she will realize that NBC never intended to treat her with kid gloves, and won't be surprised.
    Wow, Bump! This almost sounds like a spoiler to me.

Does that mean she will run into Rob's arms and they will walk off into the sunset - or into the traffic on Sunset? (A little L.A. humor there)

FORT Fan
    What I want to know is what about Erins "security"....by the time they were shooting this part of FLOM2 had the "robs past" on smoking gun been found out???? I know they didnt know about it while rob cavorted with the ladies and got drunk in the hot tub, the boot scene etc..

but....at the stage of FLOM2 when he comes back, the other show would be airing right?? Or am I mixed up again??

my question...if this is understandable...when they were shooting flom2 didnt they already know rob about robs past??
    Can anyone figure out the sequence or timing of when these episodes were shot?? (hint hint to the nice guys who were on the show haha) thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast