+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Splitting the Money

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MissPoison
    Well, in your opinion, is circus a cruel type of entertainment? They are USING animals and not feeding them before the show, so the animals will be eager to do anything for food.
    Well, at the risk of dragging this topic WAY off discussion, I won't belabor the point because I could go on for a long time about how disgusting I think circuses are. So in a word, yes, I think circuses are cruel.

I also think it's cruel to ask a group of obviously very nice human beings to appear on national television under the guise of finding true love, then ask them to try to trick the man or woman into thinking there is a potential for a long-term relationship with them, only to then ask them to choose between that person's feelings and hard, cold cash. NBC is using people much like science experiments with no regard for their emotions or feelings. They might as well put the contestants in cages and throw peanuts at them for completing the tricks successfully, as well as helping to raise the ratings and line the NBC executive's coffers with large bonus rewards at the end of the year.

How good do you think Rob felt after he got dumped in front of millions of people by a woman who thought money was more valuable than his feelings? Erin would have looked a heck of a lot more virtuous and kind if she had told Rob she wasn't interested in seeing him on a romantic level, divulved the million dollar secret to him, and then refused to accept the blood money on principle alone. And I don't buy the crap about her poor daddy needing the money for his stroke rehabilitation. I am quite sure that he has ample insurance coverage for all of his medical needs. (And by the way, I also wish her father a speedy and full recovery.) Erin can now present herself to the world as mercenary and materialistic with very warped values. Congratulations, Erin.

Personally I would be embarrassed to be associated with writing this show in the first place, and would have felt humiliated to have been unwittingly forced to participate in it as a contestant. I'm wondering why not a single person refused to do it. How good do you think it would feel to have amassed money knowing you had to tromp on someone's heart to get it?

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar
    Yep... pretty underhanded, especially since the first show didn't really present us with ANY drama as to who would pick which... you knew Paige would take the man, and Erin the annuity, and you knew they'd both get criticized for their choices (one's a fool, and one's a golddigger).

Matter of fact, that gives me a great idea! I just need a few witty writers from this forum, and we're off to make our own show: "For Fools or Golddiggers"!
    For the fully aware, optimism is a revolutionary act.
    For everyone else, there's bitching and moaning.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by brockdrywall
    Matter of fact, that gives me a great idea! I just need a few witty writers from this forum, and we're off to make our own show: "For Fools or Golddiggers"!
    Hey, if you think I'm witty enough, count me in. We could do a clever little spin on the movie, "Sophie's Choice", asking a mother to choose one of her children over another. Funny stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Yesthey'rereal
    Well, at the risk of dragging this topic WAY off discussion, I won't belabor the point because I could go on for a long time about how disgusting I think circuses are. So in a word, yes, I think circuses are cruel.

I also think it's cruel to ask a group of obviously very nice human beings to appear on national television under the guise of finding true love, then ask them to try to trick the man or woman into thinking there is a potential for a long-term relationship with them, only to then ask them to choose between that person's feelings and hard, cold cash. NBC is using people much like science experiments with no regard for their emotions or feelings. They might as well put the contestants in cages and throw peanuts at them for completing the tricks successfully, as well as helping to raise the ratings and line the NBC executive's coffers with large bonus rewards at the end of the year.

How good do you think Rob felt after he got dumped in front of millions of people by a woman who thought money was more valuable than his feelings? Erin would have looked a heck of a lot more virtuous and kind if she had told Rob she wasn't interested in seeing him on a romantic level, divulved the million dollar secret to him, and then refused to accept the blood money on principle alone. And I don't buy the crap about her poor daddy needing the money for his stroke rehabilitation. I am quite sure that he has ample insurance coverage for all of his medical needs. (And by the way, I also wish her father a speedy and full recovery.) Erin can now present herself to the world as mercenary and materialistic with very warped values. Congratulations, Erin.

Personally I would be embarrassed to be associated with writing this show in the first place, and would have felt humiliated to have been unwittingly forced to participate in it as a contestant. I'm wondering why not a single person refused to do it. How good do you think it would feel to have amassed money knowing you had to tromp on someone's heart to get it?
    Bless you, Yesthey'rereal! However, your mentality does not fit the entertainment world. Oprah, for example, is a multimillionaire who feels for the poor and disadvantaged children of Africa while living in Luxury. Let's not forget that all the people on the show know they are being used for entertainment purposes and behave accordingly, IMHO, of course.
    *A man's maturity-consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play. (Nietzsch)*

FORT Regular
    I think NBC would have had a tough time getting 15 people to participate in a show like this if the contestants knew ahead of time what they were going to have to do. At least I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesthey'rereal
    I think NBC would have had a tough time getting 15 people to participate in a show like this if the contestants knew ahead of time what they were going to have to do. At least I hope so.
    15 minutes of fame is very important to so many people. What is 15 people for the country of USA population?
    *A man's maturity-consists in having found again the seriousness one had as a child, at play. (Nietzsch)*

I would not have done the show had I known the details ahead of time.

Of course, in the interest of full disclosure, they asked me right before elimination ceremony #1 if I wanted to stay, and I said yes. But at that point all I knew for sure was that Erin would pick one man, and he would win a 40-year annuity, and still get to date her if he so choose. Had I known for sure that the winner would have to choose one or the other, and that Erin was playing to win money based on his decision, I would have opted out.

Quote Originally Posted by sean messenger

Of course, in the interest of full disclosure, they asked me right before elimination ceremony #1 if I wanted to stay, and I said yes. But at that point all I knew for sure was that Erin would pick one man, and he would win a 40-year annuity, and still get to date her if he so choose. Had I known for sure that the winner would have to choose one or the other, and that Erin was playing to win money based on his decision, I would have opted out.
    Sean, what do you think of the Paige Jones' type girls?

Quote Originally Posted by sean messenger
    You know, I thought you seemed like a nice guy. That just proves it to me. Your mother must be very proud of you!

Quote Originally Posted by MissPoison
    Sean, what do you think of the Paige Jones' type girls?
    What do you mean? From what I saw, I think Paige is a genuinely sweet girl, but it seemed inevitable she'd end up getting hurt. It seems like this show can't help but end up with everyone getting their feelings hurt... even if the guy picks Erin, and she wants to share the money with him, he may always wonder what her real incentive was, the same way Rob did. Just seems pretty dicey to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast