+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Reality shows with "script"

  1. #1
    lol_its_fun
    Guest

    Reality shows with "script"

    I really don't know where to post this message, but I guess this section is the best place to voice my opinion. My question is:

    Do you like reality show with script? Do you think that "scripted" reality shows would eventuallly screw the popularity of reality show?

    I personally hate scripted reality show. :nono

  2. #2
    FORT Fan genericwife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by lol_its_fun
    Do you like reality show with script? Do you think that "scripted" reality shows would eventuallly screw the popularity of reality show?
    I think it already has.

  3. #3
    The race is back! John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    On the mat
    Age
    43
    Posts
    40,432
    I guess I don't understand what you mean by "scripted". They're not reciting lines from a script. Sure, the producers edit the show to have storylines, but all reality shows do.

  4. #4
    FORT Fanatic MissPoison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I guess I don't understand what you mean by "scripted". They're not reciting lines from a script. Sure, the producers edit the show to have storylines, but all reality shows do.
    ***
    brockdrywall said:
    Does anyone suspect this decision may have been, um, 'consulted' by the producers?

    Caligirl said:
    So brock, what you are saying essentially is that none of the choices or decisions made on these shows are "natural" ones. It appears that it's always down to the way the producers want to skew the outcome.

    Going on that assumption, did Trista actually pick Ryan? We know that Joe M. aka Evan Marriott was told to pick Zora. How far back are we going with this? Does anyone know any more specifics?
    ***

    I still would like to know if anybody has information about how much the producers alter the decision making process? Anybody, any clues?

  5. #5
    I've yada yada'd sex Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by lol_its_fun
    I personally hate scripted reality show. :nono
    I hate the fact that they call them reality shows at all. What part of being locked away in a mansion, unable to talk to anyone but strangers, going on group dates with someone you're ostensibly wanting to spend the rest of your life with, having your actions recorded by video 24/7, awaiting public rejection and humiliation, constitutes reality? Unless you're a Playboy bunny, I'm thinking none of it.

  6. #6
    FORT Fanatic MissPoison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    I hate the fact that they call them reality shows at all. What part of being locked away in a mansion, unable to talk to anyone but strangers, going on group dates with someone you're ostensibly wanting to spend the rest of your life with, having your actions recorded by video 24/7, awaiting public rejection and humiliation, constitutes reality? Unless you're a Playboy bunny, I'm thinking none of it.
    Well said.

  7. #7
    eny
    eny is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    10,476
    After about a million hours of reality TV viewing , I Think only Fear factor resembles Reality. The rest are all story lined and uber edited.
    It comes down to which is the best production crew. Just kick back and enjoy. It's like a soap opera.

  8. #8
    FORT Fogey candor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    3,225
    I don't think the new and weaker wave of reality shows -- For Love or Money, Joe Millionaire -- are scripted so much as orchestrated.
    Clearly, Rob was told to pick Erin because she was already cast for the followup. Clearly, Erin was told to keep Munch in the mix because he's going to be this show's Bob (I think that was the guy's name from The Bachelorette), the chubby schlub who adds comic relief.
    Even so, I agree that the more this genre gets exploited the quicker it'll die.
    Don't you just hate it when the vultures arrive?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

  9. #9
    Evil Slash Crazy Miss Filangi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Looking for a place to happen
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,376
    Quote Originally Posted by candor
    I don't think the new and weaker wave of reality shows -- For Love or Money, Joe Millionaire -- are scripted so much as orchestrated.
    I think that's the key right there. Shows like Survivor or Big Brother, little to no 'coaching' is done. It's much fresher that way. There is a setup and the chips fall where they may. (You cannot tell me Mark Burnett wanted Jenna to win!) When the producers have a little too much interaction with the contestants, it feels fake.

  10. #10
    Premium Member Candybar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,327
    Yes, the producers do "consult with" the contestants. People are "advised" until the producers are hearing what they need for the storyline. I know this.

    I agree that it all comes down to which show has the best production crew. As much as ethically I dislike the coaching I know it makes for more interesting footage for the editor to work with.

    As for BB not contestants not being coached, think about the diary room.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.