+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dan

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi
    Okay, now I'm really confused. I didn't know these guys knew BEFORE the show about the money, yet you're saying he had already made up his mind and told you BEFORE he went on the show that he would not pick money over the woman. So why would he say that to you if he didn't know about the money until AFTER he had been sequestered in the mansion?

I'm a "Dan fan," so I don't doubt that he's funny and smart and any other superlative you want to fling his way, but does he really need cheerleaders?

Okay, I'm wrong. Dan didn't know about the money before the show. you know better than me.

BTW -- the concept for the girl's show was in the "Reliable Source" in the Washington Post the week before he left, so he assumed that the same twist would be used for his show.

Also -- I'm far being a cheerleader -- I just needed a short diversion from work. Sorry if I offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondertwin
    ...before he even went on this show he told all of us that if he won (he was always too humble to think he would win so he never assumed that, but nevertheless in his hypothetical world of winning) he would pick the girl over the money regardless of whether he liked her or not. He did not approve of the idea of taking money over a person.
    I thought that the guys did not know about the money before they went on the show.

edit: whoops! didn't realize that this had already been asked/answered! sorry!
    Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally. ~ Napoleon Dynamite

No offense whatsoever, Wondertwin! I'm just a little confused and am having trouble keeping the concept and rules of this show straight in my little pea brain. Also, if this show leaked out a week before the bachelors arrived in town for the filming, then someone at NBC did some very sloppy PR work. The whole premise of this show should have been kept under very tight wraps, or the whole show would obviously be blown out of the water. I'm stunned that the information would have been leaked and publicized like that.

Tell Dan I'm rooting for him and hope he did well on the show. He's one of my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by Wondertwin
    BTW -- the concept for the girl's show was in the "Reliable Source" in the Washington Post the week before he left, so he assumed that the same twist would be used for his show.
    Wondertwin, I did a search on the Reliable Source/Washington Post and came up with nothing. Is there any way you could post a link to the article? Not only would it be a fascinating read, but I suspect the NBC lawyers would love to see it. If what you're saying is true, then this show was totally misrepresented. The public was led to believe that these guys came onto the show searching for love, and then NBC dropped a bombshell on them. If any/some/all of these guys knew ahead of time what the show was about, then it's kind of seems a little fixed to me. Don't know if it would have altered the outcome of the show, but it's kind of lame representing that these guys knew nothing ahead of time, when it's possible that "in reality" they did. Ya know what I mean?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi
    Wondertwin, I did a search on the Reliable Source/Washington Post and came up with nothing. Is there any way you could post a link to the article? Not only would it be a fascinating read, but I suspect the NBC lawyers would love to see it. If what you're saying is true, then this show was totally misrepresented. The public was led to believe that these guys came onto the show searching for love, and then NBC dropped a bombshell on them. If any/some/all of these guys knew ahead of time what the show was about, then it's kind of seems a little fixed to me. Don't know if it would have altered the outcome of the show, but it's kind of lame representing that these guys knew nothing ahead of time, when it's possible that "in reality" they did. Ya know what I mean?
    Don't know how to post a link but here's the full text:

In Reality, Fox and NBC Have Big Summer Plans for Viewers

Lisa de Moraes
    Column: THE TV COLUMN Lisa de Moraes
    May 6, 2003; Page C7

NBC and Fox, neck and neck in the May sweeps among the 18-to-49-year-old viewers that advertisers lust after, will continue their demographic battle into the early days of summer with a mind-numbing quantity of new and returning reality series.
    Between Memorial Day and the Fourth of July, more than half of NBC's summer slate will be filled with reality programs, including at least one hour every night except Thursday -- when NBC reruns actually do get ratings -- and Saturday, a night on which no one is watching NBC to start with.

Fox intends to air new original programming -- mostly reality -- Monday through Thursday nights during the early part of the summer.

Operation Summer Shock and Awe begins right after Memorial Day, on Tuesday, May 27. That's the night Fox debuts "American Junior," which at one point was called "American Idol Junior" because it's a version of "American Idol" with younger performers. You may have heard Ryan Seacrest hawking it on "American Idol." The debut is two hours, from 8 to 10 p.m.
    That very same night, in the very same time slot, NBC will trot out a second edition of "Dog Eat Dog," with back-to-back episodes. "Dog Eat Dog" has been described as a cross between "Fear Factor" and "The Weakest Link" -- not surprisingly, given that it's produced by guys who worked on both of those shows.

The next night, the NBC series "Fame" comes back from the dead, this time as a reality show. More than 20 years later, Debbie Allen still stars as mentor to a bunch of aspiring singers, dancers, actors and musicians -- and how "Twilight Zone" is that? Only this time, Allen won't be playing a teacher at New York City's renowned High School for the Performing Arts, as she did in the 1980 "Fame" flick and in the scripted drama series that aired on NBC in 1982 and '83 and in first-run syndication after that through fall '87. This time she's playing Debbie Allen, the formerly famous dancer-choreographer star of the "Fame" flick and TV series who is trying to make a Paula Abdulesque comeback in a "so you wanna be a star" search reality show.
    On Thursday, May 29, when NBC is in Must Rerun TV mode, Fox will roll out two self-explanatory reality shows: "Stupid Behavior Caught on Tape" and the returning "30 Seconds to Fame."

Dick Wolf's "Crime & Punishment," the reality series in which cameras chronicle actual cases brought to trial by the San Diego County district attorney's office, returns on Sunday, June 1, because NBC owes so much to Wolf, whose "Law & Order" franchise has saved the network on so many occasions.

The next night, NBC debuts "For Love or Money," which had been referred to as "Average Joe" but isn't now -- maybe because it's a knockoff of Fox's "Joe Millionaire" and is even going to air in that show's Monday 9 p.m. time slot. In the NBC version, a bunch of hot chicks vie for the heart of a hunky Dallas defense attorney who thinks he's the prize, only they've been told behind his back that whoever he picks will win a million bucks but has to dump him. Tough choice.
    Two weeks later, Fox, which has been unable to capitalize on "Joe Millionaire's" enormous ratings success on Mondays at 9, will continue not capitalizing with "Paradise Hotel," which debuts in that slot on June 16.

The show involves 12 unmarried guests, six men and six women, who are given the opportunity to live together at a resort. Each week they will vote out one of their fellow residents to make room for a new guest. Viewers can vie to become the new guest by calling in for a chance to be a studio contestant. Contestants must win a unique studio game and be picked by the studio audience and ultimately the hotel guests. Oh, and did I mention that reality shows in which it takes three sentences to explain the premise never seem to succeed?

From 8 to 9 that same night, Fox will debut another reality series, "Anything for Love," which will test the limits of love-life humiliation to which people are willing to be subjected in order to appear on television. Anyone who watched the gruesome final episode of "Married by America" already knows the answer to that one, but since hardly anybody did, Fox is probably safe here.
    NBC will package "For Love or Money" with the returning "Meet My Folks," starting June 9. The following night, the network debuts a talent search series, "Last Comic Standing: The Search for the Funniest Person in America," hosted by Jay Mohr.

MSNBC yesterday damped down reports that Jesse Ventura's new talk show is in trouble. The much-delayed show still has no start date or time slot, or exact format. (When Ventura announced his deal in a well-orchestrated visit to NBC's "Tonight Show" in February, he told Jay Leno that it would probably be on the air "in a month or so.") One decision has been made: The network will let the former Minnesota governor do his nightly show from St. Paul.
    But the network vehemently denied reports that, as one source put it, "the first pilot was a disaster and the second was worse."

"It's utterly ridiculous," an MSNBC rep told The TV Column yesterday. "We're excited about the show and expect it to launch this summer."

He acknowledged that "the war did delay development of the show slightly," explaining that by the time Ventura officially came on board on March 1, "our attention was focused on the Iraqi war. Only in the last several weeks has attention returned to the show, and development has begun in earnest."

FORT Regular
    Interesting! When did they begin to tape FLOM-2?
    Last edited by Yesthey'rereal; 07-16-2003 at 07:48 PM.

[QUOTE=... Lisa de Moraes
    Column: THE TV COLUMN Lisa de Moraes
    May 6, 2003; Page C7

... The next night, NBC debuts "For Love or Money," which had been referred to as "Average Joe" but isn't now -- maybe because it's a knockoff of Fox's "Joe Millionaire" and is even going to air in that show's Monday 9 p.m. time slot. In the NBC version, a bunch of hot chicks vie for the heart of a hunky Dallas defense attorney who thinks he's the prize, only they've been told behind his back that whoever he picks will win a million bucks but has to dump him. Tough choice. ..."[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that, Wondertwin. I don't know when the bachelors were brought to the mansion and when the show started filming, so I can't figure out if this was available for them to read beforehand or not. Plus, they were probably told the name of the show was different than "For Love Or Money," so they may not have related this article to their situation anyway.

I don't know what to think. Interesting that this came out on May 6, and if you're saying that Dan read it before he left for the taping of the show, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what was going to happen. Regardless of whether or not he suspected there was going to be a twist, it wouldn't have affected the outcome or the strategy of the people in the show ... would it?

OK, folks, here's the story. The contestants on FLOM2 (promoted to us as "Looking for Love") were flown to LA and sequestered on either Friday, May 9 or Saturday, May 10, depending on where they were coming from. I didn't leave Boston till Friday morning, which means I would have had 3 days to dig up Lisa's column had I known to look for it. I confess to scouring the net for information about "Looking for Love" prior to leaving to film the show, but it never occured to me to check more general news about NBC's reality show lineup. However, if I had (bad researcher! no cookie!), this article DEFINITELY would have tipped me off to the secret to the show.

"a bunch of hot chicks vie for the heart of a hunky Dallas defense attorney who thinks he's the prize, only they've been told behind his back that whoever he picks will win a million bucks but has to dump him."

Change it to "a bunch of hot guys" and you have the show as explained to us on Day 1 of filming. I wonder if this story didn't get around a little bit... while I knew something was up when I found that telltale bra tag, I didn't have as many theories on the twists as some of the other guys did. There were a few folks there who were convinced it was all a set up, and it certainly seems possible that this leak could have helped feed that suspicion.

Of course, had I known it was all a game, I'd probably still be there now, buying Erin all sorts of trinkets and complimenting her on her wonderful fashion sense!

FORT Fan
    LOL>> too funny...wish we had this all in one thread tho..rather than rooting thru each guys thread...maybe a "piece it together" thread??

I agree..sloppy stuff for nbc...I believe that is why the gals were sequestered at the resort..to keep leaks out...maybe some talked during the bar hoppin??? funny...

and I also started a new thread...with my personal "twist" speculation..that one of the guys is wealthy in his own right??

FORT Newbie
    Not only did the Washington Post explain the money-or-man twist on May 6, they subsequently published a very long and funny account of the Washington auditions for FLOM aka "Looking for Love". Dan is an attorney in DC, right? Then he may have been part of this scene: "Across the room, the guys were regressing into, well, guys. There was a lot of snickering and rib-jabbing. The casting team was looking for 'Capitol Hill/lawyer types,' so the guys had dressed the part in dark suits and bright ties. ... One read his application aloud as he went along: 'Why am I still single?' Pause. "Because I don't call girls back after I sleep with them.' Laughter from the guys, snort harg snort haw haw haw guffaw guffaw. He was kidding I think."

From Laura Boswell, "Get Real What kind of a woman would humiliate herself for a chance to compete for a strange man on national TV? You'd be surprised." Washington Post June 8, 2003. Page W20 Section: Magazine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast