+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Erin - The "Object d' Affection"

Quote Originally Posted by MissPoison
    Waiting for the phone call was the guy's choice. Erin did not watch them, they could've relaxed, play pool, read a book, go for a walk, whatever. The phone works in the woods too.
    The guys might have read books. Book reading doesn't make for exciting television, and would probably be edited out.

My original point was I think Erin did Sean a favor by letting him go early in the game. I thought the entire phone date thing was a degrading experience to go through.

Erin is a pretty girl. She has a lot going for her. Nobody is worth that much trouble though.

Quote Originally Posted by genericwife
    I thought the entire phone date thing was a degrading experience to go through.
    Ha! I thought it was sweet justice. These are very good looking guys and have probably caused many a girl to wait by the phone for a call that never came. It was great to see the shoe on the other foot.

Quote Originally Posted by genericwife
    The guys might have read books. Book reading doesn't make for exciting television, and would probably be edited out.

My original point was I think Erin did Sean a favor by letting him go early in the game. I thought the entire phone date thing was a degrading experience to go through.

Erin is a pretty girl. She has a lot going for her. Nobody is worth that much trouble though.

Yes Erin did do Sean a favor by letting him go early.IMO Erin is not worth all the hassle she is putting these guys through.I believe Sean is grinning from ear to ear watching these guys humilate themselves for her.She is pretty, I agree on that.But her focus on who will pick me over the money so i can win 2 million is getting annoying.I hope she picks Eric and then he boots her for the million and she leaves with nothing,not even her dignity.

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar
    Great article in the NYTimes that spells out the real conditions of the show. Not only does Erin get cash no matter what (what NBC calls enough to cover her expenses), they admit that the lump sum payout of the "million" dollars is actually only $465K!

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/18/bu...a/18LOVE.html?

How amazing was it when Erin Brodie, who won $1 million at the conclusion of NBC's reality show "For Love or Money," turned it down for a crack at love and $2 million in the show's second edition this summer?

As it turns out, not all that amazing. Viewers who are paying close attention may know that Ms. Brodie had not really risked all on love to have a second shot on television. NBC has guaranteed her what it is calling a consolation prize.

Mention of the prize has been zooming by in an on-screen disclaimer at the conclusion of each episode of the summer show. Those with good speed-reading skills, or who tape the show and freeze-frame on the disclaimer, have seen this:

"The lead participant has been offered a consolation prize in connection with her appearance if she does not receive the $2 million grand prize."

NBC is not saying exactly how much her consolation prize is worth. Lauren Townsend, a spokeswoman for the network, said, "It is aimed at paying her expenses, because she had to give up work to be on the show." Ms. Brodie lost her job at a software company because of her extended absence to be on television.

In "For Love or Money," Ms. Brodie won an elimination contest in which she was given a choice between matching up with the contestant Rob Campos or taking home the $1 million.

But in a twist devised to set up a second show, she was also offered a chance to double her money if she opted for a second chance at television exposure as the center of a new contest in which she would eliminate her own crop of male candidates in search of one who would be willing to choose her over the promise of $1 million.

NBC executives said they had no intention to deceive viewers about the real terms under which Ms. Brodie is playing, noting that beyond the disclaimer at the end, a voice-over at the start of every show explains that if she loses, she walks away with nothing but a consolation prize. That voice-over says:

"If the final man picks love, Erin wins it all . . . the $2 million and the man. But if he chooses money, she loses . . . no man, no $2 million and she's shown the door, with nothing but a consolation prize."

Of course, Ms. Brodie may not be giving up all that much in hard cash anyway. By the time she actually collected her full $2 million, Ms. Brodie, 30, would be past retirement age. Another part of NBC's disclaimer points out: "The prize, which totals $2,000,000, is payable in a financial annuity based over 40 years."

Of course, she might not want to wait that long to cash out. If she decides she wants the best deal available to her now, Ms. Brodie could, as the disclaimer goes on to state, "Choose to receive the present cash value of the foregoing annuity." The same deal was in effect in the first part of the series, which means Ms. Brodie did not walk away from $1 million at all. NBC confirmed after the first part ended that the lump-sum payment would have been $465,000.
    For the fully aware, optimism is a revolutionary act.
    For everyone else, there's bitching and moaning.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by brockdrywall
    Great article in the NYTimes that spells out the real conditions of the show. Not only does Erin get cash no matter what (what NBC calls enough to cover her expenses), they admit that the lump sum payout of the "million" dollars is actually only $465K!
    As a Canadian I'm not familiar with the US tax brackets. However, I imagine that the marginal tax rate on $1m paid in one year is much higher than the rate paid on $25k. As such, the post-tax difference between getting $1m paid upfront or $25k a year is probably much less than the pretax difference.

Quote Originally Posted by to-tix
    As a Canadian I'm not familiar with the US tax brackets. However, I imagine that the marginal tax rate on $1m paid in one year is much higher than the rate paid on $25k. As such, the post-tax difference between getting $1m paid upfront or $25k a year is probably much less than the pretax difference.
    As I understand it, the lump sum works out to $465 due to inflation adjusted to the single payout, so that is pre-tax, and would be subject to the highest rate for federal income tax (something like 38%). You are right that the tax rate applied to the $25K would be much less, depending on the winner's income bracket. For unemployed Erin, the bracket would be pretty low, but for me, those winnings would push my tax rate into the highest range, so the difference would be marginal. Plus, in taking the $25K per year annuity, you are disregarding the inflation adjustment for the cash... in the year 2043, you can reliably predict that your $25K will have an actual value of $13K (hence the reason the lump sum is worth less than half of the stated value of the prize).

I read an article somewhere posted here during FLOM1 that the up-front lump sum equaled around $800k. Not that I really care one way or the other, just putting that out there for those who care.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I read an article somewhere posted here during FLOM1 that the up-front lump sum equaled around $800k. Not that I really care one way or the other, just putting that out there for those who care.
    I remember that one, John... it was a quote from an article that speculated the maximum possible figure based on guesses from insurance people. I'm more inclined to believe this quote from the Times, since J. Blair isn't in the byline, and since it is much closer to the figure I've heard others work out. By splitting the award out this way, NBC is on the hook for less than half of what they promote on the show (and if the show follows logical progression and the guy doesn't pick Erin, definitely NOT on the hook for anything approaching 2 million). If I ran a network and someone told me I could get a full summer of top ratings for a show that cost me nothing more than 2 months rent in a McMansion, travel costs to Telluride, Santa Monica and Hollywood (oooh, the exoitc locales!), a scaled-down crew, some boom mikes and shoulder cameras, a $50 a day per diem for 30 contestants and a prize amortized to just $465K, I'd take it too.

FORT Newbie

What was Erin's big consolation prize?

I heard on CNBC some talk of flack about a big consolation prize Erin will receive is the man she picks chooses the money and she ends up with nothing. Does anyone know what she gets if left empty handed? I knew there had to be some catch as Erin was not the type to risk gambling 1 million for 2 million. She obviously is getting a big reward even if she loses. Does anyone know what she gets? Thanks. Tom

FORT Newbie

Hope the Golddigger gets hers

Perception is a big part of how you feel about a person as a total. Erin proved totally that she's just a golddigger when she stayed in the game last time knowing she didn't like Rob, and knowing how much the othe rgirl adored him. So she screwed Rob up and the girl. So hopefully whoever she picks now will see her phoniness and leave her empty handed too. I don't care how cute she looks, knowing how she RELLY is inside, I'd think no one would ever want to date her, at least nothing more than a one-night stand, which is more then she even deserves.

+ Reply to Thread