+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBC's Disclaimer: It's not a Million dollars!!

FORT Newbie

NBC's Disclaimer: It's not a Million dollars!!

Has anyone else read the disclaimer at the end of the credits. The winner will not be receiving a million dollars at the end of the show as advertised. The million dollars will be paid out over the course of 40 years, or the winner can have the option of taking the present value of it now.

A million dollars paid out over 40 years works out to $25,000 per year. Assuming a 28 percent tax bracket, that provides the winner with $18,000 per year - a nice shopping spree, but certainly not enough to live a dream life.

Taking the present value would mean that, assuming an 8.0% discount rate (I don't know what NBC would use), the winner can elect to walk away with $298,115, or about $196,000 after taxes (the winnings would boost their tax bracket).

This is such a scam by NBC and I'm surprised that more of you aren't talking about it. The show definately gives the impression that they will receive a million dollars if they win. They even go so far as to show the checks made out to each girl in the amount of a million dollars. Even the winner will have to throw their check into the fire because its not real!! I'm sure NBC will downplay it, but can you just picture the host snatching the winner's check out of their hand and saying: "you don't actually get this check, you can have this one for $25,000 and this letter providing you with another one of these checks for the next 40 years."

Not exactly as exciting as winning a million dollars, is it?

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Yes, we all have read the disclaimer
    Yes, there has been a thread and a discussion in regards to the disclaimer,
    and Yes we all think it's funny and appropriate

FORT Newbie
    Yes, we all have read the disclaimer
    Yes, there has been a thread and a discussion in regards to the disclaimer,
    and Yes we all think it's funny and appropriate

Sorry, I'm new to the message board and didn't see the thread. It is pretty pathetic of NBC, though...

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar
    GW,

Yeah, it is pathetic, and unfortunately, seems kind of in keeping with the whole nature of this show... just like school on Sunday -- no class.
    For the fully aware, optimism is a revolutionary act.
    For everyone else, there's bitching and moaning.

Its not a million dollars

I saw that too it is not a million dollars and yes 18,000 a year will hardly make you rich so you better like the guy more than the money.
    "....Saving one dog won't change the world, but surely the world will change for that one dog..."

$18,000 a year for 40 years still looks a lot better then this guy.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

well, really... you couldn't quit working, but hell, if I had an etra 18,000 a year, I'd be happy.

That's almost how the lottery (in VA anyway) works too. You can get it paid 50 grand a year per mill for 20 years or take the lump sum which is A LOT less than the jackpot says it is. Of course when you're talking about a 60 million dollar jackpot A LOT less, is still a hell of a lot of money

Oh, and for the record I never read the disclaimer at the end!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I'd take $18k per year for the next 40. That's a nice bump in income, to be used for a new car, a vacation, or just to make the house payments.

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar
    But the question is... what would you DO for $18K a year? Would you expose yourself to this kind of scrutiny?

Remember, the operative phrase is "GOLD-digger," not "certainly-nice-enough-but-not-at-all-a-precious-metal-digger"
    For the fully aware, optimism is a revolutionary act.
    For everyone else, there's bitching and moaning.

These women signed up for this show because they wanted TV exposure (under the guise of wanting to meet a potential husband). They didn't know about the money until the show began taping.

But to answer your question ... for $18,000 a year gratis, I'd probably be willing to write my name and address on a sweepstakes entry form and be thrilled to win if I did. But to humiliate myself on national TV over the course of 6 weeks of taping? No thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast