+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speculation without verification

Speculation without verification

I know it is fun to write about the show. I am also not a regular contributor on this kind of web board. So I may misunderstand some of the customs.

I am however feeling increasing concern about the amount of assertion as fact those things that we know only through several generations of rumor. In other words I think rumor is being presented as fact and I think it is wrong.

What is being presented as on camera bad behavior is absolutely plotted by the producers. While the specifics may differ the intent to capture just what they are using is intentional.

As examples of how what we are seeing is being rewritten on our board. 1. Yes the boot thing was stupid but he did not jump up to look down her shirt!!!! Why is that and other similar things being presented as fact. 2. Did I miss something, where was it stated and by who that he was groping women in the hot tub? Yet it was written about on here as fact. Not to belabor a point but the scenes were definitely set up for individual shots in the hot tub with each woman, then edited into a montage, these were not candid shots. They were directed in and out of the hot tub.

Regarding the incident in the JAG barracks. We do not have any sworn statement from the woman involved available to us. Huge specualtion has been drawn on very little information.

I don't know what happened there, why do you think you do!

I know my point of view is colored by having worked on a show. That is because I know these are real people, not really knowing what is going on, half of them are wannabe actresses hoping for exposure. I know off camera they are unsure, I know they second guess what they said. I know they are hoping for a break a moment in the limelight. I know the guy has had a terrible time trying to tell the women he isn't interested in a nice way. Mostly these are just nice people thinking it would be fun. None deserving the mud slinging going on. This is not the colluseum and we are not Romans.

I love reading the clever writers here but I need to reach for truth over my entertainment.

Your friend and participant in this forum. Please don't tell me to go away I don't want to do that. I enjoy you all a lot.
    Candy

Spring & Fall: Preferred
    You are taking it much more seriously than some of us. I think everyone knows that reality t.v. shows have very little to do with reality.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Abelard
    You are taking it much more seriously than some of us. I think everyone knows that reality t.v. shows have very little to do with reality.
    Perfect response!

You are right I am taking this more seriously I think. I guess I will never be able to see one of these shows as just the facade. Cause I know the shows are using real people who haven't a clue what they have signed on for, they all think they are the exception and won't be hurt. I have been with the contestants after and it is hard on them.

After thinking about it some more what I think it is, is that the comments that are about the actual persons character is what I am having a problem with. You are right I am taking it more seriously than those of you who are clearly having some fun. But that isnt who I am hearing the distortions aimed at the contestants coming from.

I mentioned one time before that I do not watch reality tv. I did watch the first season of Big Brother. So this is unusual, that said it would futher explain my difficulty with understanding this format.

Anyway I said my piece I will try not to write seriously again. I do enjoy your company here. Your writing is generally clever and has a friendly undertone that leaves me with the sense of having visited a community. Thanks for responding thoughfully. Brock really should be writing you know, for a living.

Your friend,
    Candy

Candy,

Well said!

While many will remind you that these contestants sign up for the shows and are therefore easy game, I do agree with you that it's easy to go overboard with the insults. It's also amazing how quickly conjecture turns to fact.

I also agree with you about the clever writers on this board, especially Brock. It really makes for fun reading.

While I agree to some extent with what Candybar is saying - and that there's sometimes a line between "fun" and "mean"...

No one who goes on a reality show goes on without knowing what happens. Everyone has seen them, everyone has read the message boards, seen the tabloids, read the Smoking Gun reports, heard their co-workers talking around the watercooler. If you're going to be on a reality show - any reality show - you KNOW what you're getting into as far as what people are going to say. Regardless of the format of the show.

I have no sympathy for people who don't automatically assume they're going to be edited to look like the most evil, conniving, or stupid person on the face of the earth, because it's gotta be someone.

That's why on our site, contestants are pretty much fair game - they knew what to expect, and traded their protection from wild speculation for 15 minutes of fame and the chance to be on TV and maybe win whatever the prize is.

They are beamed into my television in my living room for my entertainment COMPLETELY by their choice. I had nothing to do with the decision, and I don't feel guilt at making fun of them because of their choice.

If someone comes up to you and says "I'm a casting director for this new reality show - do you want to be on it?" you'd better consider the possibilities...

Reality tv is unscripted, but it is highly staged.

We can only speculate on what we are allowed to see on the show and it is obviously edited to give us certain impressions.

Opinion being stated as fact is always an issue (in every forum here) and can get out of control at times.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    I think we watch these shows purely for entertainment and that's what we have in mind when we discuss them too. I don't feel that anyone of us has meaness in mind for any one of them personally. They made the choice of being on the show and they also made choices as to what they did or said. If they didn't make certain remarks or do certain things they would not have been shown. Therefore, I think that they should be very careful of their actions.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

Don't worry Candy, we won't tell you to go away.

John... it's funny, as I spent Sunday with a few people who really have no clue whatsoever about reality TV... having said that I must point out that these folks I know are not wanna-be actors, or fame seekers

If people who know nothing about Reality TV, take it upon themselves to try out for a reality show, I honestly think they need to research it before diving in head first, because yes, I will not feel bad commenting on a "character".

As for opinion/rumor being stated as fact… that is a problem and it annoys the heck out of me too. I choose not to believe any of it. Especially if it comes from a friend of a friend of a friend. To me, anyone here that I don’t KNOW is really just a computer. They could be anyone, anywhere. Every post needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I don’t even like the “Lets make wild guesses about Rob” thread (or whatever it is) I think it’s mean even though I know people are really just playing around, and anyone reading from the beginning would know it was all made up.

I have no idea if this post makes any sense
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar
    As I've stated before, I know what Candybar means from experience, and I am sure when my time comes on TV I'll see a few moments edited down to show my most venal, sarcastic, and idiotic side (wait a second... that's implying I have another side...) anyways, she's right that we don't know any of these people in real life, and cannot make snap judgements based on hearsay. But we can react to disturbing and incongruous pieces of info in the public domain that seem to contradict what is presented before us by the purveyors of the "reality" show, namely:

Paige is a wide-eyed innocent who paints little hearts and goes all a-flutter when smooched by tall, dark and handsome, yet has a side to her personality that hawks any wares she can find with her name on it, and emulates Hugh Hefner.

Rob is the catch of the year, and would make a fine piece o' man for any lucky woman, being a fine, upstanding, honorable gentleman, soldier and lawyer, but just happens to have what appears to be an unfortunate history of problems directly related to alcohol, and involving a clear lack of respect for women.

Beyond that, it's a game, and most of the 'contestants' (remember, when they put you on one of these shows, you are billed and under contract not as a performer, but as a contestant on a game show), seem to be playing it that way (perfect examples: Kelly and Lauren), and all for our entertainment. I have to assume anyone going on this show under the guise of "Looking for Love" was motivated by myriad factors, not the least of which was the chance for a brief not-so-shining moment of fame, and all that comes with it.

For those who go on this show with a past to hide, I have little sympathy for the claims that such information should remain private... modern life affords many opportunities to avoid public scrutiny, but appearing on a reality show is not one of them. By appearing on this show, you vounteer to step up to the pillory for all to see, and God willing, you can be a little funny and charming while you're up there, but if not, prepare to have the fun created out of the raw material that is you by those who come into this demanding entertainment.

It's not a great show, but it is compelling. Whether it's an accidental train wreck that will have unfortunate results, or a clever meta-commentary on the whole genre remains to be seen, but for right now I plan on rooting deep in the fodder they provide to feast on schadenfreude and irony (which is excellent grilled over mesquite), and when it is all over, congratulate the contestants on a game well played.
    For the fully aware, optimism is a revolutionary act.
    For everyone else, there's bitching and moaning.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast