+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TV Bachelor Still Plans to Practice Law

TV Bachelor Still Plans to Practice Law

TV Bachelor Still Plans to Practice Law
    Thu Jun 12, 2:34 PM ET

By The Associated Press

DALLAS - Rob Campos, the bachelor on the NBC reality dating show "For Love or Money," said he plans to continue practicing law, even though the firm he worked for has severed ties with him.

Mathur Law Offices ended its association with Campos following the revelation on The Smoking Gun Web site that the 33-year-old drunkenly groped the breasts of a female officer while stationed at the Naval Justice School in Newport, R.I., in 1999.

Campos was expelled from his training program and ordered to undergo substance abuse treatment. The incident effectively ended his military career, the Web site said.

In a statement released Wednesday through NBC, Campos said: "I was never an employee of the Mathur law firm; I worked with them as an independent contractor. I rented space at their office in Dallas and did not receive a salary. I also maintained my own set of clients. Although I will no longer be associated with that firm, I do plan to continue in the private practice of law."

On "For Love or Money," Campos must choose a potential mate from 15 women. At the show's end, the woman will be asked to choose between him and a $1 million prize.

he'll probably still make a fortune. this stint on this lousy show will probably send a bevy of single dallas women as new clients his way.

I know Brock will disagree with me on this point, but I have no problem at all with Rob being listed on the Mathur web site as one of their lawyers, even though he's an independent contractor.

As an independent contractor myself who works through consulting companies, it's quite frequent that those consulting companies refer to me as "one of their consultants". It gives the client more peace of mind, and a seamless hierarchy to deal with. In those cases, the consulting company is "my boss", even though technically, I'm not an employee and am free to work for whomever I want, whenever I want.

just as a side note, this doesn't surprise me at all:

In a statement released Wednesday through NBC, Campos said: "I was never an employee of the Mathur law firm; I worked with them as an independent contractor. I rented space at their office in Dallas and did not receive a salary. I also maintained my own set of clients. Although I will no longer be associated with that firm, I do plan to continue in the private practice of law."
    that's exactly what the lawyer i work for and i do. we share space in a firm, but are not associated with them in any way. just a way to save on rent in dallas.

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar
    I agree with John... it's not unusual at all for this kind of professional relationships in skilled fields... but Rob did have an interesting reaction in his interview... choosing to use the word 'fired' to describe what happened to him, and then only after prompting from the interviewer did he remember to hammer home the fine point that he was never an employee.

To take John's point one step farther, if they gave the impression he was an attorney on staff to make the clients feel more comfortable, they will give the impression now that they never had anything to do with him to correct their mistake.

Guess his buddy Sanjay from SMU law should have gone out drinking with Rob a few times before leasing him the corner office...
    For the fully aware, optimism is a revolutionary act.
    For everyone else, there's bitching and moaning.

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar
    Sounds like he won't be out of work for long... from an interview with Extra:

"But this eligible legal eagle won't be out of work for long. He says, 'In the last few days Iíve received four offers from law firms to work with them. I received calls this morning from three new clients.'"
    For the fully aware, optimism is a revolutionary act.
    For everyone else, there's bitching and moaning.

But Rob has learned his lesson

Also from Extra:

And he also learned a tough lesson about living on camera, getting a little tipsy and a little too fresh with some of the contestants just this week. He says, "I have just tried to learn from my mistakes and apologize for them."
    As a 33-year-old who has been disciplined by the US Marines for "getting tipsy and a little too fresh", he had ample opportunity to learn this lesson before taping the show. I guess what he's saying is that now he knows he shouldn't do it in front of the cameras?

Hum, law firms offereing him a job? Maybe scuzzy, ambulance chasing law firms. I think Rob has really screwed himself in the long run.
    Spay and Neuter your Pets!
    www.chemkim.com

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    People, there is NO accounting for taste. Of course some sadsack office will snap him up. Hell, Scott Peterson is sitting in California waiting to go on trial for murdering his wife and unborn child and he has had almost a DOZEN marraige proposals. Taste is just not part of the American culture.

I just don't understand how a 33 year old man can get stinkin' drunk when he should be on his BEST behaviour. Reality tv has been around long enough for those of us who watch it to know that if you give the producers a chance to show your weaker points they are going to jump at the chance, its just makes for good tv. Look .. he has us talking about it! LOL All I know is if I were in his shoes, supposedly looking for the woman of my dreams I would be on my best behaviour. But then again I guess thats why I am not on a reality tv show. Reality can be ugly
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread