+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is NBC at fault for endangering the women?

I am a simple caveman... brockdrywall's Avatar

Is NBC at fault for endangering the women?

I'm more and more convinced NBC knew all about Rob's past and then set it all up, which on top of being sleazy, is puts them at fault for putting all the girls at risk.

They are either criminally negligent in NOT finding out about the assault, or at fault for knowingly endangering all the girls. Either way, they can be sued for not screening out a known danger to the girls safety, and for providing him with alcohol.

Additionally, it may have been an illegal game show if they consulted with contestants about decisions on who to keep. Think back to Quiz Show. You can't determine the outcome and then steer the show that way. There are laws.

Am I paraniod? Or just annoyed?

Damn, and to think this used to be fun...
    Last edited by brockdrywall; 06-10-2003 at 06:35 PM.
    For the fully aware, optimism is a revolutionary act.
    For everyone else, there's bitching and moaning.

FORT Newbie
    The "incident" in the Navy was not officially classified as "assault" because the woman refused to press any charges.

Assault is a criminal-law term, I'm sure Rob the lawyer would clarify that to NBC execs.

I personally don't think the groping incident in the Navy was not that big of a deal, but JAGs are held to super high standard of behavior. Like I said in a previous posting, any reasonably attractive woman has been drunkenly groped (or worse) in a crowded bar.

And are those guys given carte blanche to 15 women and keys to the liquor cabinet?

Having personally been groped myself by drunken fools in nightclubs, I can stand behind what GlamPam says. It happens. And the men seem to think they do have carte blanche to any woman they fancy. The keys to the liquor cabinet come in the form of having enough money to buy too many drinks.

With that being said, I'm sure NBC has covered their asses on this one. Since it wasn't disclosed by Rob and apparently was either not a matter of public record or was overlooked by their staff who investigated Rob's background, they surely can't be held responsible for selecting him. Besides, there are hidden cameras and microphones all over the mansion, so it's not as though he's going to get away with any illegal overtures. These women are under constant surveillance, and so is he. And they all know it.

Even if it could be proven that NBC had this information beforehand, it wasn't a criminal offense because no charges were pressed. I guess it boils down to the fact that anyone and everyone has the right to be an a**hole, and Rob exercised his right to do just that. Unless he was tried and convicted and branded as a sexual deviant or has a sex assault on his criminal record, I highly doubt anyone would have a case against NBC regarding this. He's just another perv who can't hold his liquor.

In my opinion, getting an unsolicited groping (bar, military dormroom, or elsewhere) is a personal invasion that borders on assault and should not be tolerated. Once someone gets away with groping enough times, he'll push for more and more until, quite possibly, he will actually commit an assault with harmful results. I find it reprehensible that, while groping happens, it gets shrugged off. "Boys will be boys" is not an excuse.

Fortunately, the military brass have more balls than NBC (pun totally intended): even though Rob's JAG gropee did not file charges, Rob was still punished by getting the boot from the JAG program and sent to Georgia to perform some other - nonpromotible – job, which ultimately, led to his “separation” from the military.

I'm sure NBC has tried to legally cover their butts on this piece of news, and, Mimi you make an excellent point that no conviction = no chance at a lawsuit, but it’s really disgusting that this drunken pervert is now getting his 15 minutes. Too bad any or all of these women couldn’t file suit against NBC claiming negligence and endangerment.

The winners are the women who get out of there untouched by that creep.
    Nothing is as terrible to see as ignorance in action. (Goethe)

Both Extra and Inside Edition cited interviews they'd had with Rob on the subject BEFORE the story broke. This makes me think that the producers knew all about this, sent out a news release to The Smoking Gun and other tabloid-type outlets, and arranged interviews with Rob. The condition being that no one could report this until Monday or Tuesday -- when they could milk the hell out of it to promote that week's episode.
    I think reality television is heading for a fall, given the all the manipulations (sponsors meddling in content, scripted "reality" etc.) It won't match the 1950s quiz show scandals, since I don't think fake reality is an FCC matter. But I do think a story's going to break about the phoniness of it all.
    It's too bad, because I love the genre as much as I used to like talk shows -- until the format got bastardized by shows like Springer and Jenny Jones.
    I'm seeing a similar pattern of exploitation here ...
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

Hey, even Boy Scouts and priests have been convicted of illegal sexual acts against people. You can't always assume that because someone is in a position of trust, that they're trustworthy. NBC claims they checked this guy out and he passed muster.

But who is shrugging off this incident as nothing? Sounds like the military punished him to the furthest extent they possibly could. And now he's getting dragged through the coals, compliments of the media. He became a national disgrace overnight because of his stupidity and hyperactive sex glands. I guess Paige was right about that Karma thing, eh?

The women on this show who played smashy-face with him are probably recoiling in horror now, but let's face it, they were willing participants. I'll bet their skin is crawling now!

Just to clarify, this incident was not a grope in a nightclub. He pushed his way into a fellow officers room and fondled her until she kicked him in the nuts and ran away. This was not a grab and run. This sounds to me like someone who would have gone as far as he was allowed to go.

Both Extra and Inside Edition cited interviews they'd had with Rob on the subject BEFORE the story broke.
    Candor, how do you know the interviews were done before the story broke Monday? Did they cite the date of taping? Do you have any tape or evidence?

FORT Newbie

groping

Since all of the 15 girls signed on the show to be "looking for love" and that included dating with kissing, fondling (or "groping" if it is unwanted), making out, etc, I don't think any of the girls can cry "endangerment" after the Navy scandal was revealed.

I am not taking his side, but it seems that this from reading the "smoking gun" article that she (the Navy girl) had been pursuing him earlier in the evening and he had called her and she had given him directions to her room. Rob probably thought, Yay, booty call time. When he finally showed up, she probably changed her mind as women have the right to do ("he's not as good looking as I remembered at the bar", "he reeks of alcohol", "what the heck am I doing") and told him to get lost whereupon he groped her, she kicked him in the nuts ("way to go, JAG girl!!!) and ran away.

All this scandal about some incident in the super-super-strict military makes me think he is probably going to get more clients and his criminal defense practice is going to get a boost from all this publicity.

I read that part of his practice was devoted to the field of immigration, but I forget the other segment of law that he specializes in. However, I can't see how having an incident like this revealed to the world would enhance his law practice. But perhaps I'm rather naive in these things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast