+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Lex

6/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Another week, another format change. This time they decided to announce the person going home up front. It was Marty.

If you read last week's thread, you know I don't like Marty. He never even tried to tell a complete story in the format he was directed to use. His trailer during the 1-minute challenge was good, and probably would have made for a movie I would want to see. But his innability to tell short stories was what I disliked. So maybe this competition isn't for him.

Moving on...

This week's special guest judge: Wes Craven. Neat!

They've shown three movies so far.

1.) Will - "Glass Eye" - Awesome movie! It was fun and had great visuals. My favorite so far tonight.

2.) Jason - I forget the title ("Blood"-something). It was interesting, but not as great as his "Getta Room" film.

3.) Zach - "Sunshine Girl" - Very cool movie. He went light on the visual effects this time, but his use of the effects he had was fantastic. And it was a very fun idea, where a little girl plucks the sun out of the sky and casts the world into darkness.

So far, I'm enjoying this week.
    Last edited by Lex; 06-19-2007 at 08:45 PM.
    "Ah don't hayave an acksent." - Kellie Pickler 2006

Lex

Re: 6/19 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

The other films...

4.) Mateen - He did a romantic film that I didn't pay attention to (I'll have to watch the recording later). The judges said it was good dialogue and characters, but lacked in story.

5.) Jessica - "The Orchard" - I thought it was very interesting. It was a horror film from a tree's perspective. It had a guy with a saw coming to cut off an apple tree's branches. It kept shifting to show us what the tree "saw" through its "eyes." I liked it, but it wasn't very successful as a horror film. Though I disagreed with Wes that horror films have to have blood.
    "Ah don't hayave an acksent." - Kellie Pickler 2006

I caught Glass Eye and I saw poop and it turned me off.

I liked Blood Born the best. I loved the story line, visuals, sound, everything.

I missed Sunshine Girl....it didn't hold my attention. unless it was the one with the girl playing with a light ball that rolled under her bed.

I missed the rest.

Well, I was going to vote online but the On The Lot: Official FOX Site site won't allow me to....it's not my time?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex;2445718;
    The other films...

4.) Mateen - He did a romantic film that I didn't pay attention to (I'll have to watch the recording later). The judges said it was good dialogue and characters, but lacked in story.

5.) Jessica - "The Orchard" - I thought it was very interesting. It was a horror film from a tree's perspective. It had a guy with a saw coming to cut off an apple tree's branches. It kept shifting to show us what the tree "saw" through its "eyes." I liked it, but it wasn't very successful as a horror film. Though I disagreed with Wes that horror films have to have blood.
    I guess blood=horror and no blood=psychothriller

My DVR exploded or something and will not record. *sighs*. So counting on ya'll to keep me posted because I'm watching America's Got Talent (had to choose one and that one won lol)

I found all of the films entertaining, and very, very different.

Actually I thought the horror film was pretty good - just not standard Hollywood Blockbuster style. What's up with those judges??? It reminds me of those Project Runway judges. By their way of thinking, if it's not Middle America standard, it's no good.

Maybe it takes a certain kind of empathy to imagine the horror of a tree, rooted immobile in the ground unable to defend itself, seeing that long saw coming at you. It IS horrifying.

I agree with the judges that it might have been a good idea to imply that now the wood cutter guy was in danger somehow.

In general, however, I find the judges comments usually incredibly insightful. ("Mean old Carrie") heh

These directors-in-training must be lapping the constructive criticisms right up like a thirsty horse in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by ManySkills;2446132;

These directors-in-training must be lapping the constructive criticisms right up like a thirsty horse in the desert.
    I don't think Jessica was lapping up her criticism... She seemed to have the same attitude as did Marty, but she complimented the Judges while basically saying who cares what you think. (they all liked her attitude though...go figure)

I imagine Marty advised all the contestants to 'not take any crap from the judges', to speak up for themselves.

I also suspect strongly that many of the directors showed up with an often-rehearsed speech about how they are 'proud of their work' or somesuch.

JR.

I liked the first 3, and hated the last 2. I was completely bored with Mateen's film and didn't care for either character, an Jess's fell flat. I agree with Wes, horror = blood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast