+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5/29 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/29 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

WOW! I just realized that the Europeans are gone...too bad for Carolina, I thought Hilary was horrendous...
    BE YOUR OWN LEADER...the king is dead!

FORT Fanatic

The results show was extremely boring and seemed to drag on and on. It was just a rip off of American Idol with people being called down to sweat it out during endless commercial breaks. The problem is that with American Idol, you care about the singers most of the time and you will wait around. Since this cast overall is quite dull, the suspense isn't there.

The host is getting worse. I said she was decent yesterday but today she was awful. She mispronounced a judges name, messed up a lot of lines, and seemed to be very nervous for some unknown reason. She was very distracting and needs to calm down a bit.

I wasn't suprised by the top 3 of Jason, Will, and Zach. I thought the barfing aliens (Andrew's film) and Sam could have slipped in two of those spots, but no complaints. It was nice to see Carrie semi-apologize for her comments towards Jason. The judges keep talking about taking risks and when Jason does one and in my opinion succeeds, they put him on blast. He deserved the apology.

I was shocked at the results. The terrible film trio of Hilary, Jessica, and Kenny all survived. Going around the boards, these were rated the three worst films by the majority and all of them stayed. I wasn't expecting a clean sweep of getting rid of all of them, but I thought that we would at least get rid of the majority of them.

I also noticed that the international film directors are all going. Claudia from Italy, Carolina from Spain, and Phil from the UK. Is it because they have no American support or is it because Americans don't understand European film making? Either way, this show really has a problem now. They say it's an international film competition, yet almost all of their international directors left in one week.

Also, the judges seem to want to keep the female directors in, yet two better female directors (Claudia and Carolina) left instead of the two interior film directors of Jessica and Hilary. Are the producers now going to rig it or the judges overpimp in order to keep two lesser female directors in to fulfill the female quota they so desparately want to have? It will really ruin the quality of the show if they rig it to keep Jessica and Hilary on. If we are going by quality, these two ladies know they are on borrowed time. Even Hilary raised her hand when the host asked, who here thinks they are going home. She knew the writing was on the wall. Looking back at this paragraph, it does sound like I'm against the female directors. I'm not, I just wished they picked better ones as I think the best should succeed and move on. Only Shira-Lee showed real promise from the ladies group. Claudia could have gotten there, but she was let go (in my opinion pre-maturely).

As for the talent, the top 6 should be Sam, Jason, Will, Zack, Shira-Lee, and Andrew. I see the winner being either Shira-Lee, Sam, or Jason. Zach is good but I have a feeling his style will get old. I'd like for him to try doing a shoot where there isn't a lot of action or special effects and he has to direct a straight drama or a conversational piece. That will show if he's able to get emotions and drama out of actors. Will is a nice guy with a great backstory. I just don't see anything cutting edge yet from him. Andrew's film was funny but he has to go beyond puking aliens as a subject matter to be in contention for the win.

If I had to guess, next week Hilary will be gone and Jessica and Kenny should join her. However, someone brought up a good point that the producers might be keeping Jessica and Kenny around for drama to try to rejuvenate the ratings. If so, Marty, Trevor, and Marteen are probably next in line for the chopping block.
    Last edited by TNKY; 05-30-2007 at 12:25 AM.

I enjoyed your post TNKY.....it was quite the recap I'm sad to see the international set dissapearing
    BE YOUR OWN LEADER...the king is dead!

well, that was a mess. Adriana has to be the worst host I have ever seen. when she wasn't screwing up her lines she was being downright rude to the people being voted off.:nono

the judges offered nothing, and the re-reading of the judges comments just made the hour feel so much longer. could they not have just spent more time showing us the contestants reactions from last nights show back at the mansion? that, unlike the rest of the show, was actually not a complete rehash of last night.

newsflash producers, you're not American Idol.

you'd think with all the hollywood talent and money involved in this the production value would be a lot better. I guess they thought they'd save some money with the rookie host. big mistake there.

as for who went home, I think I'm really only shocked that pee lady stayed. she must have a big family. Claudia may be very talented, but last night was all about getting America to vote for you and pooping noises isn't so much with the pretty. And ripping off The Simpsons wasn't gonna help Phil get many votes. Carolina probably suffered from going too early and being simply dull (child birth is topical???)

if the show is back next week I'll probably watch. shrug. too bad a show about finding the next big talented director is suffering so much from such unoriginal and misguided production.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;2423826;
    Can we vote out the hostess? That is one irritating woman.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to think so. I can't stand her accent, for one thing, and she looks like a cow. She needs a better stylist, but mostly she needs to not be hosting the show! It makes me appreciate Ryan Seacrest all the more. They could easily cut the show's time in half by leaving out a lot of the hostess talk, all of which I have to fast forward through.

I do like Carrie and Garry and the "guest judge." Even though Garry was "politically incorrect" enough to say "mentally retarded" last night (despite having the other two judges preceed him with better examples of how to phrase that!) -- and he was also offensive toward women in constantly trying to "ghetto-ize" the female directors by telling them they needed to show their "unique female point of view." Puleeze, give me a break!

About the votes --
    I didn't get to vote because I saw the show via DVR the morning after, and the internet voting was already closed. I would have given "Getta Rhoom" a vote just to make sure he didn't leave, but I did not think he should have been in the top 3. Carrie was right; it looked like a special needs person, and that was a bad decision. He could have made the character a "clueless jack@ss" instead of a "nerd" and gotten the point across without offending.

As for the ones voted off, I was waiting for America to prove how sexist they are by making it a clean sweep of women, but instead they offended me even more deeply by keeping the one woman on the show that I hated while booting off two that I thought did not deserve to go. I really wish they had voted off both Luby and Jessica, instead of neither. Yuck!

The guy who was voted off didn't deserve it. His short had a lot more going for it than many that made the cut. And for some reason I liked the Italian girl. She made a mistake with her bathroom joke, but her short was visually appealing and I wish she had stayed a while.
    Last edited by Harvest; 05-30-2007 at 01:44 AM.

FORT Newbie

The biggest loser: THE JUDGES

I think the host and the judges are making themselves look terrible.

The worst part about the hosting isn't actually Adrianna Costa's fault. The producers are having her drag out the results announcements in order to fill time. It's a bad idea, done in a clumsy manner, and makes the show boring to watch.

Carrie Fisher has discovered the "Sanjaya Effect", in which excessive criticism from a judge creates a backlash that generates sympathy votes. I'm glad that Jason is staying, but his film definitely was NOT one of the three best films of the night. He got so many votes as a backlash against Carrie Fisher's harsh criticism.

I agree with TNKY that Carrie owed Jason an apology for (basically) calling him insensitive to the handicapped. At the same time, I was EXTREMELY disappointed with her for withdrawing her honest opinion. Last night, she's "so offended she doesn't know what to say", but tonight after hearing the vote results, the film was suddenly funny and appropriate? It's perfectly obvious that she changed her opinion to avoid disagreeing with the viewers. She should have the courage of her convictions, call it as she sees it, and express her honest opinion even when it feels risky to do so. A judge who merely repeats the popular opinion is just an empty chair.

I agree 100% with Harvest's opinion about Garry Marshall. His constant refrain that females ought to reflect a "female perspective" is ridiculous and condescending. What exactly does a "female perspective" look like, and what qualifies Garry Marshall to spot it? In the reverse case, what would we say if Carrie Fisher criticized a male candidate's film for not displaying a "male perspective"?

The only judge I liked was DJ Caruso, and he's only here for one week as a guest judge!

The concept of this show is cool, but they should replace the entire judging and hosting staff.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by kimanis;2423930;
    WOW! I just realized that the Europeans are gone...too bad for Carolina, I thought Hilary was horrendous...

I suppose they didn't have as many friends and relations who could vote for them. It's a shame, especially since I don't see that those were the three worst films, by any stretch of the imagination.

The results show was too long, drawn out, and they tried to amp up the drama too much. I don't watch AI and one of the reasons is results shows like these, where they spend an hour recapping last night. Guess what? I didn't forget, it's only been 24 hours!

I think from now on I'll watch the Monday show to see the films and then check the web for the results.

I think Garry Marshall is great. Sure, he has some MCP tendencies, but he's also witty and gives some really useful critiques to the filmmakers. I'm taking a few politically incorrect comments in stride and focusing on what he adds to the show, which I think is quite a bit.

Count me in as very disappointed that Kenny Luby and Jess Brillhart escaped to the next round. Frankly, they could have tossed out Jason as well - I didn't find "Getta Rhoom" in the least bit funny, and it has nothing to do with his unfortunate method of portraying a "nerd".
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Gosh this show has so much potential...really good idea...but really poor execution!! Who can remember any of the candidates?? How can a judge go from hating the "nerd" movie to loving it? and the MC...she's gotta go!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast