+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Lex

Re: 5/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Interesting show. I was surprised when they mentioned it was on last week, because I completely missed it... probably due to the Heroes season finale. But I wasn't terribly lost even though I missed a week.

A concern I have is that the judges might be a little too old to understand some of the entries from the younger contestants. They didn't seem to like some of the shorts that I found hilarious. But that might be from differences in people's senses of humors.

I liked "Lucky Penny" and the Lightbulb one and "Dance Man" and "Check Out." And I didn't find "Getta Rhoom" as offensive as the judges did. I actually agreed with the audience (who seemed to be booing the judges) that it was very funny.

And does anyone else think Marty is a complete tool? He didn't do the challenge. Everyone else did a story with a beginning, middle and end. He just threw a bunch of cool scenes together (which reminds me of Mark Borchardt). He definately has filmmaking skills, but he needs to commit to doing a complete story.
    "Ah don't hayave an acksent." - Kellie Pickler 2006

FORT Fan

Sounds like a lot of us agree on the really good ones.
    My favorites were The Dancing Man, Lucky Penny (my favorite),
    Danger Zone, Check Out and the one with the drunk aliens.
    The Cab one and the Light Bulb one were just not good.
    I bet the guy from England that did the Busy Signal film could make a really good scary movie.

Helen

FORT Fanatic

Tonight's show was a little better. It was nice to actually see a finished project instead of drama and raw emotions that ultimately go no where.

I do have to say that I found the judges to contradict themselves a bit. One thing that they find poorly done or offensive in one film was praised in the other. I'm kind of wondering since this competition is a progression, how much of their previous work is factored into the comments. I kept hearing, we know you do better work so better luck next time. Well that's nice, but they are supposed to be judging today's films.

I agree with a few others that Jason's film was judged too harshly. I didn't find it offensive at all. Maybe I have a twisted sense of humor, but I thought it was one of the funniest that was shown tonight. I didn't get the special needs connection until they drove it home repeatedly. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't mean to do it. He seems like a sweet guy who is a little naive about Hollywood and the way things work. I would like for him to get another shot---he's not one of the worst three, let alone worst five tonight.

I also thought Claudia's and Phil's films were judged too low. I found Claudia's to have an interesting art house feeling to it. I was amazed by her visuals and her use of color to enhance the story. Phil's was very well shot and I was drawn into the phone conversation. Yes, it was a little more of a dark comedy boardering on horror, but it was well done and I chuckled at the 911 joke. Marteen's and Shira-Lee (sp?)'s were scored too high. Marteen's film was shot well but I felt like I was watching a rip off of every "urban" comedy they try to market and put into theaters. I would have liked an additional twist. Shira-Lee had a great concept but one of the scenes when the guy was behind the girl was a little too sensual for my taste. It didn't need to go there to get a visual. She could have been humorous leaving that to our imagination or taming it down a bit. I was also confused how sensual scenes equal comedy. I usually think that those things are usually left when nothing else can be done and you are entering shaky ground when you utilize it.

My favorite three films were Andrew's, Zach's and Sam's with honorable mention to Jason's. Andrew's was creative and took a juvenile thing like barfing and made it enjoyable to watch. Zach's was well made and presented a chaos situation in an interesting way. It must have taken him hours to set all of those shots up to get them to line up in order and to make it seamless. Sam's was another example of taking a juvenile thing like farting and making it funny without going overboard like a few others went.

My least favorite three films and the three I would send home was Hillary, Jessica, and Kenny. Kenny's was style over substance. Lots of funky colors and words on screen but no plot line. There was no movie there that I could summarize. Hillary's was example of taking an juvenile concept of using the bathroom and turning it into an unfunny, pointless exercise. The ending of the guy sniffing the contents of the cup was disgusting and not funny at all. That scene actually boardered on poor taste which is a shame because I thought she had a lot of promise in the earlier rounds. She really fell flat this time. Jessica's just didn't make sense at all. The guy is screwing in a light bulb that is already lit? What? He would burn himelf. And if it's lit, why is he changing it? And what's with the characters around him? She should have defined the concept more.

I actually liked the host. She boardered on a little over excited but she wasn't unwatchable. She won't win any hosting awards but I've seen much worse. She does the job and fills the need at hand. And where is Brett Ratner? Isn't he a judge anymore?
    Last edited by TNKY; 05-28-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Lex

Oh and the delivery room short was good too.
    "Ah don't hayave an acksent." - Kellie Pickler 2006

Giggy

Eh, I didn't care for the host. Maybe she'll chill over time. I guess I'm spoiled and have come to appreciate the laid back humor of hosts like Ellen Degeneres over the overtly professional ones. This one is new and it was her first night. I just wish she wouldn't be so precise in everything she says. She's like a wound up toy with new batteries. It's very distracting. She simply needs to talk to me, not AT me.

I loved Sam's "Replication Theory" movie the best. I loved how he showed that it was a situation that not only transcends cultures but also time. Then when the security guy tackles him and the girl says "It was me", I was totally cracking up. AND it doesn't hurt that Sam is as cute as a button.

I also loved Zach's movie, Andrew's (the barfing aliens), and Will's Lucky Penny. One that I seemed to like better than everyone else was the mini golf competition. I thought the actors were great and the situation was funny with the young cocky guy showing off by hitting the ball without even looking at it. I even liked the music he played when the older golfer was looking at his wife.

I totally agree with TINKY who said "Shira-Lee had a great concept but one of the scenes when the guy was behind the girl was a little too sensual for my taste." Yep, that one scene really crossed the line for me, otherwise it was great.

I liked the show tonight, I think it is beginning to hit a nice stride & I am excited to see what they remaining 15 come up with next week.

I really liked the Danger Zone, Lucky Penny, Replication Theory, & Drunken Aliens films.

I thought the Cab thing was a disaster. The light bulb was bordering on it & so was the Blind Date. I didn't think the 911 film was nearly as bad as the judges did, but it could have had a better payoff.

I thought Ghetta Room was misjudged & I was in agreement with the audience & would have booed the judges had I been there. I felt bad for the guy because he looked sad that his work was so misinterpreted.

And does anyone else think Carrie Fisher makes Paula look lucid? Ms. Fisher needs to work on getting her thoughts to come out of her mouth better. Maybe she just needs a good director to get her going.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2423073;
    And does anyone else think Carrie Fisher makes Paula look lucid? Ms. Fisher needs to work on getting her thoughts to come out of her mouth better. Maybe she just needs a good director to get her going.
    LOL, Carrie Fisher did remind me of Paula (and not in a good way), though I did think overall Fisher did a better job of actually expressing some criticisms unlike our favorite drugged up AI judge.

FORT Fogey

Cab guy's probably in the most danger. Next would be a tossup between blind date, lightbulb, and the bus.

I liked the host but thought she was too grabby. Trever's girlfriend is probably hotter than she is, but otherwise, the rest of the guys are pretty much film geeks, who while they no doubt liked being that close to such a pretty woman, were also pretty clearly squirming because of it, too.

I think one of the problems we are going to run into with 'On The Lot' are what we like and what the directors like. The directors are looking for technical ability and various talents, along with entertainment value, that we, the audience, may not understand. We're just looking to be entertained. So, while I appreciated the guy who did the 360 shot in one take it didn't necessarily entertain me but I do appreciate his hard work and it doesn't escape me that he definitely has talent. Then, again, it didn't entertain me as much as some as the other ones.
    That was my take as well. With the comedy, I was just looking for a laugh, not whether the camera was in the right place or what have you. The only technical aspect I really appreciated was Zach's, but his film was good even without the special effects.

Call me politically incorrect but I laughed my azz off at the tard guy, though I totally get why the judges had to redirect this kind of film from getting put through. At first I was yelling, "Lighten the F up," until I understood where they were coming from and then I shut up. Talk about law suits up the ying yang. Still, every time I hear someone say, "Get a room," I will
    I was irritated they got so upset over it. I hadn't even viewed him as having diminished capacity, but Princess Leia snatched onto it and ended up doing a remarkable impression of Paula. Even if it were intended in a politically incorrect way, on Idol, they were still going on about bush baby and his friend Cartman on the finale, and despite Rosie's protest, everyone had a good time with it, including the guys who were being mocked.

JR.

Did they skip an episode? The previous one ended with 24 people, right? And a new host? WTF happened? The whole feel of the show is different now, I don't know if that's a good thing.

Anyhoo, I pretty much agreed with the judges, but I happen to like potty humor. I didn't get the light bulb one. Didn't like the bus one, the golf one or the blind date, they were just sort of "meh". Kenny's was pure crap, he should stick to skateboard videos.

Loved Sam's, Zack's and Andrew's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast