+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

5/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Please keep all discussion of tonight's show in this thread only until 1 a.m. Eastern. Thanks and enjoy the show!

Re: 5/24 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

This certainly doesn't appear to be a popular show.

The one guy with the goatee really annoyed me. There are 2 hours left and he claims to be able to put together music 'just like that'. I am no wannabe Spielberg like these folks but I had to take a video class and make my own films and edit them. I must admit I loved the editing process but you better really know the editing software to be able to put together a soundtrack for a 2 minute film and it be good 'just like that'. I remember the hours I spent finding the music I wanted to use, registering to a music download site and getting the right track to download and putting in the right format. That was loads of fun and then breaking it up to fit the pace of the film. If this guy could do it in 2 hours more power to him but instead of sleeping he should have been doing some research and have all his stuff ready instead of wasting his teammates time by talking about what he would do.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fanatic

I am not surprised that no one is commenting. The debut ratings were horrible for this show and the show isn't getting better to gain the ratings back.

The problem is that we see about 10% of the films being made and haven't got introduced to more than half of the people who made it past the cut. Hannah, Jeff, and Jessica proves the other thing that is wrong with the show. The show is making their contestants look like huge ego maniacs who talk a big game, but deliever amateurish high school film class/community TV quality shorts. I was shocked that Hannah and Jessica bragged about their film school experience. What did they learn? Did they even go to class? Who admitted them in the first place? How did they pass classes with those horrible films? The judges should have been way tougher on them. Kenny completely left them in their dust, even after they tried to blame all their mistakes on him. Nice to know the Hollywood blame game is still in effect, even with the lowest of film makers. They just made themselves look foolish on camera for no reason--especially to potential investors in their future films. Jeff was just moody and snippy for no apparent reason. I was so glad they cut Hannah and Jeff, and am just waiting until Jessica goes. However, I have a feeling she'll stay to be the "drama" and "villian" of the season.

And in the preview, it showed the Italian lady spending 40 minutes and not doing any shoots at all. What did she do? Again, these are supposed to be the best film makers in the country and they sit around for 40 minutes doing nothing but setting up a shot? You are supposed to do that before you get there, not during. Any film novice knows that. The only bright spot was Team Heather. Their film was good. The special effects team film was decent but I have a feeling the special effects will get old. They have to do something else or else it will be one note.

I find it funny that one judge already took a day off. I would too. Save your reputation before this series goes down as one of the biggest flops FOX has ever put on their schedule. I would get slightly exciting about the upcoming voting for films, but I have a gut feeling that the show won't last that long. The only potential is watching it for it's trainwreck potential and to prove once again why Hollywood is called Ego Central. And even that gets old after awhile.

I liked the first episode. I loved last night's ep. It really showcased the contestants' talent, and I was thrilled to have watched the few two-minute films they showed. I think this show has major potential because it strikes me as real, but I suspect TV viewers these days respond better to cheesefests like AI and the Bachelor (which I watched, and swallowed the Gouda with everyone).

I caught some of the first episode and most of last nights. It was ok, but you're right, they focused on just a few people and most of the others didn't get any recognition or onscreen time. Perhaps next week the ratings will pick up since it's an AI-like format where the tv-viewing audience has some say in who stays and who goes. It would have been nice to see all the films, but obviously that's not possible. I'm wondering though, when they start to narrow it down will they make longer films, and will the audience get to see them in their entirety? Perhaps they are available online?

JR.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKY;2418500;
    I was shocked that Hannah and Jessica bragged about their film school experience. What did they learn? Did they even go to class? Who admitted them in the first place? How did they pass classes with those horrible films? The judges should have been way tougher on them. Kenny completely left them in their dust, even after they tried to blame all their mistakes on him. Nice to know the Hollywood blame game is still in effect, even with the lowest of film makers. They just made themselves look foolish on camera for no reason--especially to potential investors in their future films. Jeff was just moody and snippy for no apparent reason. I was so glad they cut Hannah and Jeff, and am just waiting until Jessica goes. However, I have a feeling she'll stay to be the "drama" and "villian" of the season.
    But he did screw up their parts of the film. When the ladies were directing their parts, he was the Director of Photography. It was his job to make sure the shots were in focus, the lighting was right, there was no equipment in the shot, etc. He came off like a complete ass to me. His part looked better because the girls shot it.

I really enjoyed this show and know several others who are definitely watching. I taped the initial show but loved the second show last night! Wow. A couple of those "shorts" were fabulous!

I took film experience in high school, and it's amazing how much work goes into just a few minutes onscreen. But now they have great technology to use, but much higher expectations.

I'm going to be keeping watch on this show!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by JR.;2419349;
    But he did screw up their parts of the film. When the ladies were directing their parts, he was the Director of Photography. It was his job to make sure the shots were in focus, the lighting was right, there was no equipment in the shot, etc. He came off like a complete ass to me. His part looked better because the girls shot it.
    I am sorry, but I have to disagree. As far as I could tell, the girls were the ones editing their segments. They could have at least tried to fix it. However, I noticed what Kenny noticed that their editing skills were making it worse. As for letting Kenny shoot their shots, it was their decision to do it. In the end, it's not a valid excuse to blame him. When you have a project, you have to be responsible for the mistakes and poor decisions you make. It may have been a bad decision, but it was their decision to do it. They still were unprofessional and not up to par in their skills, without Kenny being in the equation. Kenny may have a strong personality, truth be told he's not one of my favorites, but at least he has the talent to back it up and doesn't whine and moan on camera about their poor decisions looking for anyone to blame because they never were at fault since they went to "film school". As I said before, I find that people use the "I'm in film school, I know better than you" line when things go wrong that they can't fix and they feel threatened. It's a cover up for a lack of talent in most situations. It's like a singer saying I'm better because I majored in voice in college. In reality, it doesn't make a great, marketable singer.

So I guess in a lot of words, I understand why the judges cut Hannah and Kenny stayed. That being said, I don't expect Kenny to last long. He may make it to the final group, but he won't go much further than that unless he improves greatly.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;2419195;
    I caught some of the first episode and most of last nights. It was ok, but you're right, they focused on just a few people and most of the others didn't get any recognition or onscreen time. Perhaps next week the ratings will pick up since it's an AI-like format where the tv-viewing audience has some say in who stays and who goes. It would have been nice to see all the films, but obviously that's not possible. I'm wondering though, when they start to narrow it down will they make longer films, and will the audience get to see them in their entirety? Perhaps they are available online?
    All of the group's short films should be on the FOX website for On the Lot. I forget where they are on the page, but I know they were there yesterday. Most were surprisingly good for the time restraints.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast