+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'Littlest Groom' is a typical dating show

'Littlest Groom' is a typical dating show

'Littlest Groom' is a typical dating show

By Ellen Gray

GLEN FOSTER is probably used to people asking him if he's crazy.

There was, for instance, Pat Croce, whom the 4-foot-5 Foster approached a few years ago at a Slam Dunk for Diabetes fund-raiser, first asking for Croce's autograph and then offering himself up as a junior mascot for the 76ers.

" 'Are you crazy?' Foster recalls the then-Sixers president asking.

Foster assured him that he was.

But apparently not enthusiastically enough for the high-energy Croce.

" 'Convince me that you're crazy,' " Foster, now 23, recalls Croce telling him.

It took a massive shout of "I'M CRAZY!" to persuade Croce, but the Warminster native and Archbishop Wood High grad was soon hard at work as Lil'G, the sidekick to Sixers mascot Hip-Hop, a highly athletic job for which Croce, he said yesterday, trained him personally.

Now, though, Foster probably won't have to shout - or run around in a costume - to convince people that he's a little crazy.

Because people thinking you're crazy pretty much goes with the territory when you're the star of a Fox "reality" show.

Yes, Foster, a dwarf who now works in Tulsa, Okla., doing sales and tech support for a cell phone company, is "The Littlest Groom."

And while some of the Chicken Littles of this world are regarding the two-part dating special, which will air Feb. 16 and 23, as yet another indication that the sky is falling - while others of us think it fell some time ago - Foster's insisting it's anything but that.

"There's nothing exploitative in this whatsoever," he said, describing the show as an opportunity for him to meet a wider selection of women who are "little people" - though the show will also introduce him to some average-sized women who'll be competing for his attention.

In his pre-"reality" show life, "I've dated more average [sized women] than little people," Foster said, while admitting a slight preference for women closer to his height because "we have an automatic bond...it's more of an icebreaker."

He remains, he said, friends with "pretty much all the girls I dated." Currently he lives with his 3-year-old Jack Russell terrier.

Even the show's title doesn't bother him.

"Obviously, they had to do a play on words," he said. "That's to be expected."

But is Foster, who's talking about moving back to this area - where his "supportive" parents, an older sister and a younger brother all still live - really ready to settle down at 23?

"Anything's possible," he said, sounding like many a TV bachelor before him. "If I met that perfect somebody, I'm definitely open to it."
    http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/ent...on/7869657.htm

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Hmm.. I wonder if he's going to propose at the finale of this show? Why would they call it "The Littlest Groom" if he wasn't going to propose?
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

" 'Are you crazy?' Foster recalls the then-Sixers president asking.

Foster assured him that he was.
    That is too funny!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

this show is gonna be SO weird. definetly a bunch of mixed reactions: 1) it's bad because it's exploiting dwarves 2) it's finally getting someone with a "disability" on tv 3)mean people will laugh & think it's funny. stuff like that....it better not be mocking people for humor though.
    "There are no shortcuts to any place worth going"

I'm not sure Dwarfism is a disability. I realize you put it in quotes, but still
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Cali, it is recognized as a disability by the ADA, or whomever decides those things. My assumption is that it's because they may need special accomodations in a work environment, etc.

FORT Newbie

dwarfism is it a disability?

Honestly that is the 1,000,000 dollar question even for those in the dwarfism community. As I told Cali there are over 200 types of dwarfism. Each type has its own characteristics meaning appearance and problems. Glen and some of the women on the show have Achondroplasia (the most common type.) I myself have Pseudoachondroplasia. If you were to compare our abilities they are a world apart. I can't walk more than a block anymore but people with achondroplasia can be on sports teams and run the mile. I myself have had arthritis since I was 5 which is common for my type but for achons my age it is not common at all. Usually for pseudos in their 30's and 40's, for some even younger, we need hip and or knee replacements while achons usually do not have that problem. So as you can see the term Dwarfism is just a blanket term. Our abilities are so different that it would be hard to say all dwarfs are disabled or all dwarfs are not disabled. It really depends on the condition then on the individual's medical issues.
    As for if they are exploiting dwarves, honestly the only way we will know is if we watch the show. I am looking forward to it and only then can I really voice my pro or con opinion. I hope all of you will watch it as well!
    equality can only come from education

FORT Newbie
    Sorry just a follow up, yes the ADA does see Dwarfism as a disability, I was addressing more what dwarfs themselves think or feel about it. We do need special adaptations at work depending on the type of work, the individual, and their needs. Also it will try and keep us from being discriminated against when trying to get a job or on the job. Unfortunately it still happens.
    equality can only come from education

I agree. LPchick. I'm sure whether it's a disability or not has a lot to do with specific cases. I was only going by the FAQ on the LPA web site, which says:

Q: Is dwarfism considered a disability?

A: Opinions vary within the dwarf community. Certainly a number of short-statured people could be considered disabled as a result of conditions, mainly orthopedic, related to their type of dwarfism. In addition, access issues and problems exist even for healthy LPs. Consider, for example, the simple fact that most achondroplastic adults cannot reach an automated teller machine. Dwarfism is a recognized condition under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Information on the ADA is also available directly from the US Department of Justice, which administers the law.
    Whether it SHOULD be there or not is obviously going to vary by individuals.

+ Reply to Thread