+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBC Cans Law Firm

NBC Cans Law Firm

Sure enough, candor was right as usual.

http://www.latimes.com/business/cust...business-enter

NBC has delivered a quick verdict on "The Law Firm," dumping the legal reality series from producer David E. Kelley that debuted to low ratings last month, the television network said Monday.

The show, which features celebrity legal analyst Roy Black judging litigators vying for a $250,000 cash prize, delivered a paltry 3.9 million viewers for its second episode Thursday, a plunge of 24% from its July 28 premiere.

"NBC will no longer be broadcasting episodes of 'The Law Firm,' " the network said in a statement. The six remaining episodes will air on Bravo, NBC's sister cable network, on dates that are "yet to be determined," the statement said.

On Thursday, the network will replace "The Law Firm" with repeats of the sitcoms "Will & Grace" and "Scrubs." Starting next week, NBC will fill the slot with two back-to-back repeats of "Scrubs" starting at 9 p.m. Then on Sept. 22, the fourth season of NBC's "The Apprentice" will premiere in the slot.

"The Law Firm" was the first reality series for Kelley, best-known for such scripted series as "Ally McBeal" and "The Practice." The producer's spokeswoman said he was out of the country and unavailable to comment.

Increasingly, networks are yanking reality shows that deliver poor ratings right away, leaving the few viewers who were engrossed in the competition to wonder what might have been. CBS pulled "The Will," about scheming heirs battling for an inheritance, after just one episode in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    The six remaining episodes will air on Bravo, NBC's sister cable network, on dates that are "yet to be determined," the statement said.
    Well at least we will be able to see the remaining episodes.

You might be able to, but I won't up in Canada
    I'm disappointed.
    I thought it was a decent show.

I'm sick of NBC. They pulled Last Comic Standing when there was only ONE episode left and I had to catch the ending on Comedy Central. I mean come on, they could have at least aired the last episode.

NBC would be better off getting sagging Will & Grace off the air and putting Scrubs on the fall lineup instead of making us wait until January for new episodes.

As for the Law Firm, I liked it. Too bad NBC doesn't care about its viewers.

I agree. I think it would have held viewers from the first week better if they hadn't edited the first episode down from two hours to one. They gave up on it before it ever started airing. The only time I've ever been more upset with a network over a reality show was when ABC pulled the second season of The Mole for months.

Reality Lite Weight LiteWeightLiz's Avatar
    Especially when they're running re-runs instead--it's summer, for crying out loud! What's the difference??? Sheeeesh!
    Quote: "Going cold turkey isn't as delicious as it sounds." -- Homer Simpson

FORT Fogey
    Actually:

What NBC should have done was shift The Law Firm to Saturday nights at 9:00 or 10:00 PM ET/PT for the remainder of its run. It would probably get close to whatever it was getting on Thursday nights, since there is very little on Saturdays anyway. It's probably the affiliates that forced this as they did last year with The Restaurant.

At least Bravo is carrying the remaining episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I'm disappointed.
    I'm with ya, fluff.

What's worse, I wish I had read this earlier. I've been away for 2 weeks and have been trying to get caught up on all the stuff I taped. I only watched these 2 episodes this afternoon, and quite liked them. Could've saved myself the trouble.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I'm disappointed.
    Actually, if Bravo here is carrying the show, wouldn't Bravo Canada also carry it (they are both owned by NBC I believe)?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallyhorse
    Actually, if Bravo here is carrying the show, wouldn't Bravo Canada also carry it (they are both owned by NBC I believe)?
    No.
    It might but there is no guarantee that a show on Bravo US will also play on Bravo Canada.
    Bravo Canada is owened by the "CHUM" group, I don't know whther that in turn is owned by NBC.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast