+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8/4 Show Discussion **SPOILERS**

H2O
    I was surprised Oliver did not get the boot. His behavior according to Roy Black's own criteria warranted that.

This show really highlights if you have sub par lawyers in the courtroom, you can have the "wrong" verdict rendered. A bit chilling.

FORT Fogey
    Well:

I thought it was a great episiode, though I didn't absorb it as well as normal because I was busy preparing my work for the Hambletonian program tomorrow (that's the biggest day in Harness racing at The Meadowlands in East Rutherford, NJ, the race is on CBS at 2:00 PM Eastern Time).

Who was let go? I was watching this last night, at the commercial break before the announcement I left the room and never saw the elimination.

FORT Fogey
    Eliminated were Anika and Elizabeth.

I was surprised that Olivier was allowed to stay. Cursing at the judge in a lot of cases would have landed him in jail.

I can't figure out why in the world the judge would rule in favor of the plaintiff in the EAT ME Wanted poster trial. It was so obvious it was a JOKE. It was pretty funny and to think he got $5,000. Even the plaintiffs team knew it was a joke. I thought a judge would make his judgement from good sense rather than just how the teams performed. Even though our oldest son is an attorney in San Diego, I have little knowledge of the reality of the courts?????
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Judges are always wildcards. That's why any lawyer that guarantees their client a result even if the facts and law are clearly in their favor is a fool. It could be in part that the judge simply lacks a sense of humor. The defense team also made a mess of their case. Instead of having one coherent theme, Anika went off on her maybe you are armed and dangerous theme. The only time we heard them talk about the EATME acronym was during Deep's closing. They also failed to point out that the picture was of the plaintiff holding a Budweiser in a field. I am a Deep fan, but he clearly blew it with the plaintiff's aunt. She wasn't well prepared to testify and Deep let Keith's objections get to him and finally just gave up.

Also, I do think these are real cases. NBC couldn't advertise them as such otherwise. Truth is often stranger than fiction.
    Last edited by Mariner; 08-05-2005 at 10:36 AM.

I really want to like this show, and I sort of do, but it is just a mess! I mean we don't hear the opening arguments in one case nor the closing in another. I think they should focus on one case at a time.

I agree AIWANNABE that it would be much better if they'd show the cases one at a time instead of switching back and forth. They also don't seem to think we care about the cases themselves so you only see snippets of each that might effect Roy's decision.

FORT Fan
    I think the reality is that the only people who would let their case go to this TV courtroom and have their case handled by TV lawyers are going to be people with cases like the ones we've seen so far. There is not going to be a big criminal trial. Don't expect a major toxic tort class action. They have to have cases that can be wrapped up in one day and that they can "prepare" for in one day. But, it sure seems like they have almost no time to prepare anything of their own. Some other lawyers probably worked up everything else on the case and just gave these guys the files 48 hours before trial. (which is pretty ridiculous) That's why the cases seem like an expanded episode of Judge Judy.

As for this week's lawyering, I think the arbitration case was a waste of time. Most of the stuff they showed us wasn't really relevant. The producers just wanted to highlight the dominatrix and the testimony. Based on the very little we heard of the case and the judge's decision, the case was really just a breach of contract dispute. With no written document, it becomes a "he said, she said" argument about what the terms of the agreement were. The judge ruled correctly that he could not tell what the terms were. Olivier was just crazy to argue with the judge and swear in his presence. The reality is that you might see that judge again someday and you do not want to leave a bad impression.

As for the terrorist case, we got to see a lot more of the real action. Roy Black's analysis of the case was right on. Too bad the lawyers had no input on what kind of trial this would be. If it were a jury trial, I think it would be a slam dunk for the defendant. The defendants did not present their case well, but I can't remember the plaintiffs showing any damages. Nonetheless, they won $5,000, which is impressive.

It would be better if they just had one case to work on and they showed more of it to see all the other junk that goes on instead of these really condensed, edited versions.

And whoever said a better lawyer can make a big difference in the outcome of the case, you are right on (see OJ).

FORT Fan
    I think Olivier's behavior indicates that he'll be around for the whole series. He's been set up as the main villain of this show and every reality show needs a good villain. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast