+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Review: Law Firm Courts Apprentice Crowd

Review: Law Firm Courts Apprentice Crowd

July 28, 2005 -- "The Law Firm" Tonight at 9 on NBC/Ch. 4

2 stars

SOMEBODY call a lawyer— quick! "The Apprentice," has been stolen and the perps are moving in — tonight.

Legal eagle mogul David E. Kelley's new reality show, "The Law Firm," which is moving into "The Apprentice" timeslot on NBC, comes across as such a line-for-line copy of the Donald's show that viewers may be hoodwinked into thinking they're watching reruns. It's the same kind of music, the same swooping overhead city views (even if it is L.A.).

Yes, Kelley, the man who won Emmys for such tightly and beautifully scripted law firm dramas (and dramedies) as "The Practice," "Ally McBeal," and "L.A. Law," is dipping his beak into the world of unscripted TV with a run-of-the-mill, sometimes annoying, always familiar reality/competition series with high-profile attorney Roy Black in the role of The Donald.

The premise is that 12 real-life, youngish, and good-looking lawyers compete with one another for a $250,000 prize. The winner is the last lawyer standing. Each week one gets, yes, fired.

In place of "Trump Tower," the setting is "the law firm," a cavernous, empty law office with only these 12 mostly annoying lawyers and one receptionist who answers the phone, "Hello, the law firm!"

It's so bizarre. At least in "The Apprentice" it's The Donald's real company with his real employees who actually add to the atmosphere.

On tonight's mess-of-a-premiere, the lawyers are divided into two teams and simultaneously work on two ridiculous cases. One is the case of a three-legged dog that got attacked by a neighbor's dogs, and the other is a case of a woman who was pulled over for speeding by the county coroner. It's almost impossible to figure out what-the-hell is going on.

For starters, why isn't the municipality involved in the case of the coroner? Not until the judge's ruling did we even figure out that she was suing him for punitive damages.

Not one lawyer presented how exactly she was damaged other than being an noyed. And isn't this a criminal complaint?

The show's fireworks come when the lawyers argue the cases and argue with each other. Tragically, I watched the show with the Love Interest to get his insights since he just happens to be a member of the world's most hated profession — and all we did was argue.

"Judge Judy has more credibility, and it's faster. Get me outta here!" he yelled.

Daunted, but not broken, I watched the other episode by myself, and I will admit that it was considerably more interesting than the first, although there still isn't a single cast member to care about.

And Roy Black? While his insights are very interesting, to paraphrase a fashion adage, Black is not the new Trump.
    http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/26308.htm

FORT Fogey
    Well:

If they really wanted to go after The Apprentice crowd, what I would have done having seen the opener would have been to have had ex-Apprentice candidates and real-life attorneys Jennifer Massey and Bradford Cohen serve as observants (in the legal version of the George and Carolyn roles) and have them advise Mr. Black on how the attorneys handled themselves at trial (of course, the trial that had Jenn M. observing might have had an unfair advantage since Ms. Massey actually practices law in California and knows the laws there better than most would have on that show).

The show itself came across very good and should get better as we go along.

FORT Fanatic
    Aiwannabe: I watched the other episode by myself, and I will admit that it was considerably more interesting than the first,

What other episode? You've seen two episodes of this show already? I thought it premiered 7/28 and they only aired one epi?

If you've already seen it....please post a spoiler thread and tell us about it....

What I posted was written by somebody from the NY POST.

I thought it was a good first show (expect the "verdict is in" crap). I hope it will even get better.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

The premiere was originally supposed to be two hours so I'm guessing they sent critics a tape of the first two episodes. I liked the premiere but the editing was abysmal. The reviewer didn't seem to get that the civil action against the coroner was separate from any criminal action. That happens all the time. Think O.J. Simpson who won his criminal trial but lost the civil wrongful death action brought against him.

+ Reply to Thread