+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMERICA DECIDES: Did they get it right?

AMERICA DECIDES: Did they get it right?

Hey FORTskateers!

As I type this, we are on the eve of finding out who the Last Comic Standing is for Season Six. In the episode threads, we've been discussing who we've liked and who we haven't...but right now the talk has turned to who AMERICA will like enough to pick up their phones...or to log on to each of their email accounts...and vote for...

My question in this thread is for the people who have followed this show over the years...to wonder if America has actually selected "the funniest."

It is my belief that people vote more for "who they like" than who, objectively, might have been "the funniest" (as if an entire country shared a common sense of humor)...and "being the funniest" is only one part of whether or not they like someone...

...but that's my oh-so-cynical belief...and maybe it doesn't really wash with the way things turned out.

Let's see.

LAST COMIC STANDING SEASON ONE:
    WHO WON? DAT PHAN

FINALISTS: Tess Drake, Cory Kahaney, Ralphie May, Rich Vos

Did America make the right choice of the finalists that they were offered?
    Who, of the finalists that America was offered, was actually the funniest?
    And, of course, was there someone who made the house that would have won had they made the finals?

(As a reminder, the others who made the house were: Geoff Brown, Rob Cantrell, Tere Joyce, Sean Kent, Dave Mordal)

----- ----- -----

LAST COMIC STANDING SEASON TWO:
    WHO WON? JOHN HEFFRON

FINALISTS: Alonzo Bodden, Gary Gulman

Same questions as above--did America make the right choice of the finalists they were offered?
    Who, of the finalists that America was offered, was actually the funniest?
    And was there someone who made the house that would have won had they made the finals?

(Others in the house: Ant, Todd Glass, Corey Holcomb, Jay London, Kathleen Madigan, Bonnie McFarland, Tammy Pescatelli)

----- ----- -----

LAST COMIC STANDING SEASON THREE:
    WHO WON? ALONZO BODDEN
    (Not that NBC made it easy to find that out.)

FINALIST: John Heffron, Dave Mordal, Rich Vos

Did America make the right choice?
    Of the finalists, who was actually the funniest?
    Was there someone else who would have won had they made the finals?

(Others invited to this season: Ant, Geoff Brown, Rob Cantrell, Tess Drake, Todd Glass, Gary Gulman, Corey Holcomb, Tere Joyce, Cory Kahaney, Sean Kent, Jessica Kirson, Jay London, Kathleen Madigan, Ralphie May, Tammy Pescatelli, Dat Phan)

----- ----- -----

LAST COMIC STANDING SEASON FOUR:
    WHO WON? JOSH BLUE

FINALIST: Ty Barnett

Was there someone else who made the boat that might have won had they made the finals?

(Others who made the boat: Michelle Balan, Rebecca Corry, Bil Dwyer, Joey Gay, Gabriel Iglesias, Kristen Key, April Macie, Chris Porter, Roz, Stella Stolper)

----- ----- -----

LAST COMIC STANDING SEASON FIVE:
    WHO WON? JON REEP

FINALIST: Lavell Crawford

Was there someone else invited to participate in this season that might have won had they made the finals?

(Others who were put up in the same hotel: Doug Benson, Dante, Gerry Dee, Debra DiGiovanni, Ralph Harris, Matt Kirshen, Amy Schumer, Gina Yashere)

----- ----- -----

LAST COMIC STANDING SEASON SIX:
    WHO WON?
    ...as of this writing, we don't know...

FINALISTS: Jeff Dye, Marcus, Louis Ramey, Iliza Schlesinger, Jim Tavare

Assuming that we're talking about this after the decision is announced...did America make the right choice?
    Who, from the group of five finalists, is actually the funniest?
    Was there someone who made the house that might have won had they made the finals?

(Others who, for however brief of a time they were there, made the house: Papa CJ, Sean Cullen, Paul Foot, Ron G, God's Pottery, Adam Hunter, Esther Ku)

----- ----- -----

THERE ARE NO RIGHT OR WRONG ANSWERS...just our opinions and our ability to understand reality tv and how it works.

I'll sit back for a bit and let discussion unfold here before I weigh in...because I know I have a tendency to suck all of the oxygen out of a conversation...

I'm really curious to see what the fans of reality tv think. Pick a season, any season...or share your thoughts on all of them at once. Whatever works best for you!

pg--is not actually available to voted on in any of these questions himself--seattle

FORT Fogey

Re: AMERICA DECIDES: Did they get it right?

Dat Phan. sigh Where to begin. He is not inherently witty and I knew when he won his first showdown that he was going to sweep it. The audience loved him. They were not privy to the house footage and his nail salon subject and Asian accents were fresh and new. I favored Mordal and Voss. For me, their shinning moments were in the house so I could not easily seperate their sets from the men I came to know and love. Perhaps their material was not as good as some others, I cannot remember.

Jon Hefferon. I think they got it right for me on this one.

Josh Blue. I knew he was going to win though not my choice. I cannot remember the others.

It has been too long for me to remember many of those comics. I can picture many of them but their material is lost to me now. I am clearer on those I did not favor!

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I canít say Iíve watch every season religiously, but Iíve at least watched some of each season.

Season 1: Ralphie May was as much funnier than Dat Phan as he was heavier.

Season 2: I think I favored Alonzo over John Heffron, but I think I liked John also. I also am an admirer of Kathleen Madigan. She is interviewed on the radio stations I listen to when she comes to Columbus, OH, and itís always hysterical. I donít think America got to see just how funny she really is.

Season 3: Alonzo deserved the win.

Season 4: I only watched this sporadically, but I thought Josh was a hoot! I remember some very good laughs from watching Ty, Roz and Chris Porter.

Season 5: Overall I think Lavell was funnier, but I got bored with his routine. I think it wasnít varied enough. I donít think John Reep was that funny, but he was a little fresher. Seems to me I liked Dante and Ralph Harris the best.

Season 6: I was very surprised that I agreed with the eliminations from the top 12 to the top 5. Coming up with the top 12 was another story. However, based on who is left, this is the order of who I like best: Marcus, Louis Ramey, Jim Tavare, Jeff Dye and then Iliza. Jeff would have scored better with me if heíd stuck with the jokes about his family, which were great. He lost me on the ďGuess WhoĒ story line because I never played it. My guess is that hit home for the 30-and-under crowd, but not for those over 30. (Just checked - the game came out in 1987).

Okay, I'm currently drugged up on oxycodone (ill-health, not junkie), so my mental acuity is questionable at best, but here is my opinion on the assorted winners & not-winners:

WHO WON? DAT PHAN
    Others who made the house: Geoff Brown, Rob Cantrell, Tere Joyce, Sean Kent, Dave Mordal

Winner should very obviously been Dave Mordal - I doubt you would find many who would dispute that. Also amusing: Ralphie May and Rob Cantrell. Not remotely amusing: Dat Phan. WTF?
    ----- ----- -----

WHO WON? JOHN HEFFRON
    Others in the house: Ant, Todd Glass, Corey Holcomb, Jay London, Kathleen Madigan, Bonnie McFarland, Tammy Pescatelli

I'm more or less okay with John Heffron winning. Also amusing: Alonzo Bodden, Gary Gulman (good choice for finalists), Todd Glass and Kathleen Madigan. Not remotely amusing: Ant. Though I will give him props for his tour-guide skills.

WHO WON? ALONZO BODDEN (Not that NBC made it easy to find that out.)
    Of the finalists, who was actually the funniest?Ant, Geoff Brown, Rob Cantrell, Tess Drake, Todd Glass, Gary Gulman, Corey Holcomb, Tere Joyce, Cory Kahaney, Sean Kent, Jessica Kirson, Jay London, Kathleen Madigan, Ralphie May, Tammy Pescatelli, Dat Phan

Again, Dave Mordal should have won, though in all honesty he wasn't at his very, very best this particular season. Also amusing: Those I've listed above. Not remotely amusing: Those I've listed above.

WHO WON? JOSH BLUE
    Others who made the boat: Michelle Balan, Rebecca Corry, Bil Dwyer, Joey Gay, Gabriel Iglesias, Kristen Key, April Macie, Chris Porter, Roz, Stella Stolper

Who should have won: Hmmm, not entirely memorable, but if I recall correctly I enjoyed Chris Porter the most. Also amusing: Can't recall. Not remotely amusing: I'm going to assume that those whose names or faces I don't remember (everyone but Chris Porter, Josh Blue and Ty Barnett) were not amusing.

WHO WON? JON REEP
    Others who were put up in the same hotel: Doug Benson, Dante, Gerry Dee, Debra DiGiovanni, Ralph Harris, Matt Kirshen, Amy Schumer, Gina Yashere

Who should have won: Matt Kirshen. Also amusing: Doug Benson, Amy Schumer, and occasionally Gerry Dee. Not remotely amusing: Lavell Crawford and Jon Reep. What on earth is wrong with the general public?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I thought Ty Barnett wiped the floor with Josh Blue.
    Ty didn't get the opportunity to show much in the early stages, but once he got to do decent length sets I really thought he was very funny.

Lavell v Jon was a dismal final imo. I agree with Rattus that Matt Kirshen should have won that season.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Season One: I liked Dat Phan but would have enjoyed Rich Vos winning as well.

Season Two: Very happy that John Heffron won!

Season Three: Alonza was awesome but any of the other finalists (John Heffron, Dave Mordal, Rich Vos) deserved it as well imo.

Season Four: I thought Josh Blue was hysterical and I was glad he won.

Season Five: What a dismal finale as I couldn't stand either Jon Reep or Lavelle. I would have preferred either Doug Benson, Dante or Gerry Dee as the finalists. Matt Kirshen and Amy Schumer also deserved to win more than Jon or Lavelle.

Season Six: As long as Marcus or Jeff wins, I'll be happy!

PS Great thread pg. Would it be mean to have a thread about who was least deserving to win or to be a finalist or even chosen to be on the show at all? There are so many contenders!

Strategy and results.

One thing that I think has become clear over the previous seasons is that it actually helps to get yourself into the challenges...to let America see you perform your comedy and make a decision about you.

...while, that's not the safest strategy for a competitive reality tv show.

Witness: Kathleen Madigan in Season Two...and Ty Barnett in Season Four.

I think both of those would have benefited from being seen doing what they do more than they did--but, by being "smart" and avoiding the challenges to last longer in the show...they, ironically, put themselves into a competitive disadvantage as being "not known very well" when it was time for America to actually decide.

(There's a point in Iliza's favor going into tonight's big show.)

On the other hand, of course, you have people like Todd Glass and Doug Benson--who, like Dave Mordal, were the most entertaining people during the "in the house" scenes of their seasons...only to lose out in the challenge process.

pg--It's a very hard day to be a Packers fan today.--seattle

Quote Originally Posted by CAdreamin;3158248;
    PS Great thread pg. Would it be mean to have a thread about who was least deserving to win or to be a finalist or even chosen to be on the show at all? There are so many contenders!

Yeah, that would be a little mean...

Here's the thing. From your couch at home, it's a lot easier to dump on the characters of a tv show than it is to really understand the value of a working performer.

I've worked with Dat Phan...he's exceedingly nice, he's appreciative of the jump start that this show gave him, he worked very hard to "deserve it" and he does entertain an audience. I've worked with Tammy Pescatelli...she's also very nice, she's a very hard worker who cares about what she does...and she does entertain an audience. I've met Sean Kent...he's thoroughly decent and I've seen him rock the mic.

Watching them on the show, I wasn't a fan...I remember being very critical of each of them. That was the fan of reality tv in me reacting to what I was presented. And there's nothing wrong with that...that's what reality tv is meant to do...give us all the chance to vicariously make judgments about who we're watching and what they do...

...BUT the professional comedian in me...the one who didn't advance past the morning pre-audition but still made the show thanks to a blooper...the one who has had the opportunity to talk with those who have made the show to better appreciate the convoluted process by which the show is created, worked and presented...the one who now has friends on the show who can relate to me what it is like to be meat going through the grinder... THAT version of me is far less likely just to dump on someone simply because he didn't like the persona presented through the eyes of an editor.

There are certainly comedians that I don't like...comedians that I've worked with and met and came away with very negative feelings about...and might actually include people that have made it onto LCS. But those feelings don't need to be voiced here...
    Last edited by pg13; 08-07-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Ty was in Season 4, not 3.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Oh, come on pg13, dish the dirt!

I didn't like Dat because he re-used material. I think that's why I've enjoyed Iliza so much this year. Different (to me) set each time.

I loved Rich Vox and Dave Mordal because of their in-house banter and shenanigans.

I loved Ralphie May.

I never liked anything from Jay London. I understand it was a persona, but I didn't like it.

I didn't agree with the format. When you have bathtub scenes and people not getting along, and people playing tricks on each other in the house, that's funny. When you have a laugh that sounds like fingernails screeching on the chalk board, that's not funny. I liked it when they had 8 do a comic runoff, and then we got to vote, that was nirvana to me. I think that is what the show should be. Start with 10 and have all 10 do their schtick and let us vote. And then the next week, let the 9 do their thing and let us vote, and on and on. That to me would be the epitome!

Rattus - if you don't mind I'm going to borrow your formatting to make my comments. It's much easier to cut and paste then type everything over again

Here's my 2 cents regarding this/past seasons of LCS. You'll have to forgive me - my memory is not very good and I can't remember a lot of their material but I do know who my favourites were. Here goes:

WHO WON? DAT PHAN
    Others who made the house: Geoff Brown, Rob Cantrell, Tere Joyce, Sean Kent, Dave Mordal

WHO SHOULD HAVE WON? Dave Mordal or Rich Vos. I found they cracked me up the most. Dat Phan just didn't do it for me.
    ----- ----- -----

WHO WON? JOHN HEFFRON
    Others in the house: Ant, Todd Glass, Corey Holcomb, Jay London, Kathleen Madigan, Bonnie McFarland, Tammy Pescatelli

I think America got it right with John Heffron and I also enjoyed both finalists. I wasn't a big fan of anyone else in the house.

Of the finalists, who was actually the funniest?Ant, Geoff Brown, Rob Cantrell, Tess Drake, Todd Glass, Gary Gulman, Corey Holcomb, Tere Joyce, Cory Kahaney, Sean Kent, Jessica Kirson, Jay London, Kathleen Madigan, Ralphie May, Tammy Pescatelli, Dat Phan

I'm okay with Alonzo winning. I also enjoyed: John Heffron, Dave Mordal, Geoff Brown, and Gary Gulman

WHO WON? JOSH BLUE
    Others who made the boat: Michelle Balan, Rebecca Corry, Bil Dwyer, Joey Gay, Gabriel Iglesias, Kristen Key, April Macie, Chris Porter, Roz, Stella Stolper

WHO SHOULD HAVE WON? Definitely Ty Barnett. In my opinion, he smoked Josh. Josh was a pretty funny guy but I thought Ty was funnier. Unfortunately, I don't remember most of the others. I think Gabriel may have made me laugh a few times. Was Joey Gay the one who yelled all the time?

WHO WON? JON REEP
    Others who were put up in the same hotel: Doug Benson, Dante, Gerry Dee, Debra DiGiovanni, Ralph Harris, Matt Kirshen, Amy Schumer, Gina Yashere

Wrong America... wrong, wrong, wrong. I could not believe it when Jon Reep won! And while I thought Lavell had some funny material I don't think he deserved to be a finalist. Who did I enjoy? Jerry Dee, Doug Benson and Ralph Harris. Who should have won? Jerry Dee

WHO WON? DAT PHAN

I think Dat Phan is by far the worst winner. However, I thought it was kind of hilarous that he won when Ralphie seemed like the chosen one from the beginning. I was extremely shocked by him winning but in retrospect I don't know why. He was sent to every elimination basically and outcasted, of course he was going to win. I would have thought Tess should have won before the finale, but she completely BOMBED BOMBED BOMBED on the final night.

WHO WON? JOHN HEFFRON

I was okay with John winning. I thought it was Alonzo's season pretty much the entire time and for the second season in a row I was shocked. John was decent but nothing too special. I think Alonzo is one of the best people ever on the show. In the finale I could have done without Gary and maybe had Kathleen as a 3rd choice.

I was glad Alonzo won. I think he got robbed the 2nd season and this was season was just letting karma come back to him. I would have been satisified with Dave winning, but Alonzo made it the finale last time and earned his win. I think this is where the show started going downhill.

WHO WON? JOSH BLUE

I think America got it wrong AGAIN. Josh was VERY VERY VERY funny at first. However, it was just the same act everytime. I knew he was an obvious winner. Ty Barnett was the BIG surpise to me. He was kind of an unknown going into the final 5 and he really changed a lot of people's mind. That's a huge thing to do on a show where people likely have already made up their minds.

WHO WON? JON REEP

This is what I love about this show, you usually can never call a winner unless they are really obvious. For the third time, I was completely FLOORED by the results. Like Ralphie and Alonzo, I thought Lavell had this bagged from day 1. They made it seem like Amy might win since they obviously wanted a female winner, but her sets were stale. Jon was a complete wtf winner, in retrospect it was kinda hilarous since it was so random.

This year I think America nailed it. Iliza had to do the most work for her win and she earned it. A lot of it had to do with the season being shorter and it didn't allow anyone to emerge besides for her. I am glad we finally have a female winner because a lot of them are underappreciated in comedy. I think a lot of the times you need to picture the jokes the females say coming out of a man's mouth. I think a lot of the females fell way short of where Iliza succeeded. None of the girls really made fun of themselves or their gender, and a lot of what comedy is about is someone making jokes about who they are. (Marg Cho does it, Lavell/Ralphie did, Josh Blue, etc). I also think a lot of her comedy was mainstream and I think that's one of the main reasons she was the first female winner, and it wasn't Amy, Michelle, Tess, Kathleen, or whoever.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast