+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 7/31 LCS Show Discussion

Re: 7/31 LCS Show Discussion

For what it's worth, I think there's a very good shot that Iliza has this thing. It seems to me that there are two demographics at play: comedians and those at least marginally familiar with the comedy world... and people who are just watching TV.

As someone who's seen both demographics (less than a year ago, my husband and I went to our first live comedy club show and have been back a half dozen times since), I can tell you that I see something of an insiders clique to the comedy world. This is not groundbreaking news, I know, but I think there's a bit of a "bubble" there (to use another political metaphor). The question is, does LCS work more like reality TV, which has its own rules and conventions, or does it work more like a comedy competition? I think it's functioning more like the former simply because everything we see is filtered through the producers.

Iliza has been set up by the producers to win this thing. Whether she closed the deal or not, we'll find out tonight. She had by far more face time than anyone else. The only person who seemed to recognize the danger for the rest of them was Louis, whose desire not to challenge her (even though it was moot as the challenges were over) may not have stemmed from any misguided chivalry but from an insightful awareness that Iliza was having the chance to bond with the viewers at home in a way that the rest of them weren't. The more they challenged her, the more face time on TV she got. The producers played her up for sympathy, but part of it was these male comedians shooting themselves in their collective feet by putting her center stage, week after week.

The pimp spot (last spot) effect is very real, and there's a simple reason for it: you don't get to vote until right after the pimp spot. PG--as your 2004 election results show, it is impossible to underestimate the American public. Think of the public like toddlers: the last thing they see is the thing they want. (I'm not trying to be condescending here so much as explain a well-documented phenomenon with reality TV voting). Iliza has all the advantages here. I'll bet you money that they didn't draw lots for position, either--they were assigned. If Marcus was deemed her biggest competition, that's why he drew the worst slot.

I'm looking forward to seeing tonight. As it happens, I'd be happy if Iliza or Jim won (I found 'em both funny!), and Louis or Jeff wouldn't break my heart winning, either. Marcus to me is fairly unfunny, but I think impressions went out about three or four decades ago. They can be interesting and they can be dead-on, but they're rarely funny in and of themselves. Sometimes his impressions aren't in the service of humor.

The only one of these comics I've seen live is Adam, and he was good when I saw him over a month ago... thing is, though, he did the same set on TV. One of the reasons I'm *really* loving Iliza is that she has repeated very little material in all the many times we've seen her. I know that comics perfect a set and then go perform that set in multiple locales, but once you do a joke on TV, it dies. It can still be funny, but it'll never be *as* funny as it was the first time they heard it. I didn't laugh once at Adam's set last week, because I'd already heard those jokes. (I strained a chest muscle when I saw him live because I was laughing so hard, seriously).

Anyway, I think there's a perception among "real" comics who are out on the circuit trying to make a living with this crazy business that dues matter, that experience matters, etc. On LCS, dues and experience only matter if they make you a better comic--and not generically better, but better in the specific ways that work on TV.

By the way, I saw Mary Mack live... she was funny, but there were times that my husband and I (admittedly weird people ourselves) were the only ones laughing. And we saw Ty live, and he was fabulous. Matt Kirshen, too--also fabulous, and *excellent*. But now I'm straying way off topic. Obviously I have too much time on my hands right now.

Wow. I'm getting it from all sides now. Either I'm a condescending hyper-typist that is unable to see the facts or I'm living in a bubble that keeps me from understanding real people.

Whatever happened to "here's what I think and why"?

I think, LadyWyntre, that I've proven here that I'm aware of the differences between a competitive reality tv show and what actually happens in the comedy industry. If the comedy industry norms were adhered to here, Louis Ramey would win this...but I'm fairly certain that he's unlikely to do so.

As far as my downplaying of the pimp spot in this particular LCS finale goes...I'm well aware of the power of going last in a competition like this...of making the last impression. The same thing is true in a live comedy show...you put the best up last and everyone tends to remember the last person the most. However, I've detailed why I don't think that it necessarily applies in this case... I think the show was too long, I think people have already made up their minds, I don't think anyone proved themselves to be demonstrably stronger or weaker than what people have already determined these performers to be...

But, I'm always trying to back up my opinions--especially in the face of someone telling me that their take on a matter is not an opinion at all, but fact...

So, I went back and looked at the last time--the ONLY time, previous to THIS season--that the LCS finale was determined from a five way vote...and that was LCS Season One. (Season two, the finale was a three way vote...season three, a four way vote...season four and five were both head to head votes.)

The pimp spot that season went to...Corey Kahaney. She ended up placing fourth.

The winner that season, Dat Phan, went second...one of the weakest places to perform in a show, traditionally... (Ralphie, who placed second, went up first...Tess went up third and took fifth, Rich went up fourth and took third.)

I don't think that this necessarily proves anything...and I certainly don't mean to suggest that the person who went up second will certainly win this year--that's not why I looked this up. I looked it up and I'm mentioning it more to illustrate that the "pimp spot" is not all-powerful. Especially when it isn't an A/B decision...and this year, there's an A/B/C/D/E decision.

I don't want to give the idea that I'll be terribly upset if Iliza wins...or that it would be some sort of conspiracy or tragedy. Iliza has probably had one of the best possible experiences with Last Comic Standing--she's gotten a ton of air time and she's proven herself to be a solid, compelling performer.

I just don't believe that she's the favorite going into tonight's show to win this...an opinion that formed including her efforts on last week's show.

Of course, I was of the opinion that Dat Phan couldn't possibly knock out Dave Mordal. What the hell could I possibly know?

pg--Sorry, Hott4Hill, if it seemed like my taking your opinions seriously enough to respond fully to ended up feeling to you like I was being condescending to you...if I really was being condescending to you, I'd have ignored what you'd said or dismissed it by saying "Whatever..." And no, LadyWyntre, I'm not mad at you for disagreeing with me either. How can I be mad at someone with a sparkly Zorak as an avatar? --seattle

Without saying too much...

A website that has been nearly 100% accurate in posting spoilers for Last Comic Standing in the past has just posted a spoiler that indicates the results for tonight's show.

And????

Click to see Spoiler:
    I'll be dining on crow tonight.

pg--Rough day to be a Packers fan.--seattle

Susan Boyle INSPIRATIONAL meangean's Avatar

pg,

Of all the words you said on this thread of LCS, none are more true (or funnier than) these...

Quote Originally Posted by pg13;3158507;
    Of course, I was of the opinion that Dat Phan couldn't possibly knock out Dave Mordal. What the hell could I possibly know?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456