+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7/24 LCS Show Discussion

7/24 LCS Show Discussion

Really? It's 2/3 over on the left coast and no one has anything to say?? My how this show has fallen. I think we lowly viewers have tired of the producers jaded vision of who is funny. There is a lot of chaff that went through this year. It is nice to have a week without Paul Foot, and I do not miss God's Pottery one bit.

Tonight's stand up is not over for me yet, but so far, I still don't get why Sean is there. He is conversationaly funny like about 25% of my friends... however I would not suggest that any of them go into stand up either. I do so enjoy Jim Tavere. Would have loved to see Marcus perform. Adam and Ron don't do much for me. Jeff and Iliza always make me laugh a couple of times. Louis Ramey makes me laugh. If I forgot anyone, I haven't seen them yet tonight and they haven't impressed me

Re: 7/24 LCS Show Discussion

I'll bet people don't know to look in the "dead show" section to post on a current show. Why don't they just move them to the "other reality TV" section if they decide to stop covering them???

We voted for Iliza just because an all-male finale would not be funny, and Jeff because I like him.

...the big shocker tonight wasn't that seven of the eight remaining comics went up in the showdown tonight...

...the big shocker was that NEXT WEEK IS THE ABSOLUTE PERFORMANCE FINALS OF THIS SHOW!!!

That's right. After a couple of weeks in the house, they're shutting this season down FAR EARLIER than it seems they'd planned to...

I bet Iliza wishes that she hadn't gone with a set of new material if she only had to hold back stuff for one (potential) more week.

I might have more thoughts on this week's show later--but I wanted to get that revelation on the board now...because we won't have many more weeks to kick this season's cast around.

pg--No, I'm NOT Applesauce Pete...--seattle

Well I didn't vote. I was going to but I got busy doing something else. I think out of the slim choices that we have this year, that the best performances were Louis Ramey and Jeff Dye. Jim Tavere wasn't bad either. I don't know why Sean keeps singing, he's not a bad singer, but I like to hear jokes. I thought Ron G. was really weak tonight, but I never knew why he was on the show in the first place. Adam Hunter underwhelmed me. Iliza should have stuck with some tried and true material. I am just unimpressed all of the comics this season, and I agree with PG 13 this season does seem to be ending sooner.
    I love this show and I would hate to see it end. This is the only thing out there for comics right now. But the people that are getting through are just weak, and I know the talent is there in the auditions, and they are being past over for some reason. Maybe they need to bring back the guys the talents scouts from the first two seasons.
    I just know this show could be so much better than it was this season.
    In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
    Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

This is the kind of show I wish LCS would be throughout the entire season. Show all the comics every week (like American Idol) and let us vote off 1 or 2 every week. I was entertained last night. I actually laughed a few time, not just winced.

They need less auditions and more comedy like last night. Can't believe it's already almost over, after plowing through the endless auditions and now fast forwarding to the finale. Who's idea was that?!

Anyhow, about last night...I think Jeff, Louis, Iliza and Adam did the best. Although I think Sean's comments are amusing during the show, his stand-up performance is very weak. I just don't get his singing, it's not funny!

I hope Jim, Ron and Sean get booted off.

Even though I'm Canadian and Canadian pride is high, the Canadian contestant did not bring the funny. I thought his act should have him booted or at least bottom two. I was thoroughly disappointed. But then again, I wasn't impressed with a lot of them last night.

I've done some further digging...and, here's what I THINK the schedule for the show is going to be...

Right now, Marcus is in the Top 5...and four of the seven who performed this week will join him in the Top 5...and those five will perform next week in the "finals."

...except that the voting will eliminate three of them...and then the two performers left will go head to head that night...and America will decide.

...and then in the final show, there shall be only one.

So...still a bit top heavy, as far as this show goes--evidently the producers think we wanted to laugh at the costumed freaks they encouraged to pretend to try out for this show more than we actually wanted to watch the actual show they were pretending to try out for...

Those producers are, of course, wrong...

pg--Can ANYONE actually see this show being renewed and coming back next year? I can't.--seattle

...THAT SAID...

There was a show, there is a vote...and it all deserves to be considered on whatever merits there might be...

Once again, we get a "first challenge" that is meant merely as an opportunity for the comics to be funny--it has no weight or bearing on the competition. No point in hoping that someone will do something funny in the house...and no interest in making the competitive side interesting...let's force the cast into an awkward situation and see if magic happens.

It's like these people don't understand what makes good tv.

The immunity challenge...given a topic, tell a semi-improvised "bedtime story" to three cable-tv cleavage celebrities. An audience of three people (already a comedian's nightmare...as laughter is contagious, you need a "critical mass" of people to really allow the magic of stand-up comedy to work)...three people who are used to being the center of attention at all times (tripling the comedian's nightmare...as you really have to pay attention for the magic of stand-up comedy to work)...and three people who, let's be frank, are neither known for their smarts or their senses of humor (sextupling the comedian's nightmare...as jokes are often like little puzzles and the laughter comes with the "a-ha!" moment, when the audience GETS the little puzzle...and if you're unlikely to get any of these puzzles, you're unlikely to laugh...)

Of COURSE, Marcus wins with his movie-trailer run of impressions...as the Girls Next Door girls can laugh at their recognition of the voices, rather than any puzzle solving. (That said, I've seen Marcus enough to know that he did tailor the material he put into those voices for this challenge...which is one of the things we want an impressionist to do.)

The fact that they nearly gave the critical immunity to Ron G. simply because one of the girls wanted to sleep with him...or to Iliza simply because she stroked their vanity (although, to be honest, I might have paid for the PPV of that...sorry...)...proves how poorly thought out this show really is... How insulting to anyone who is actually watching and trying to care about what they're being shown!?!?!

So, Marcus makes the final five--good for him. When the Last Comic Standing tour comes to your neck of the woods, you're now guaranteed that one of the performers will work as hard as he can to entertain you...

Who will join him? Well, it's up to America to decide.

Will it be ADAM HUNTER? His strategy was to go for sheer volume of jokes. I didn't think he came across as terribly likable in this set...and I don't know how many women will vote for him.

Will it be ILIZA SCHLESINGER? She said she was doing a set with a high volume of new material. If this is true, it makes me respect her a bit more as a working comic...and a bit less as a strategic reality show competitor (...and the reactions of her castmates in being "astonished" that she might be using new material really ruined the illusion that most network tv watchers have that comedians just go out there and make stuff up each time.)

You could tell that this material wasn't as polished or worked out as her other material because she kept trying to goose laughs by throwing in a needless "What?" after the punchlines, as if to clue the audience in that they should laugh. It's a classic observational comedy writing trap--where you expect the observation to be funny enough to get the laugh...and you merely have to draw the audience's attention to your clever observation by reminding them of what that comedian has just noticed.

However, I thought she had a better, more cohesive set than Adam had...and this coming in her third straight challenge performance...so, very good on you, Iliza.

Will it be SEAN CULLEN? I like Sean...but, like God's Pottery, he does what he does...and what he does isn't necessarily the best thing for a competition like this. He has to devote 90% of his time to a song...a song that may or may not have enough actual laugh lines to be funny--but it will always generate a song-ending applause break (giving the performer a false sense of his success.)

Will it be JIM TAVARE? Jim seemed a bit rusty...a bit nervous...and I didn't see the cohesiveness that would have benefited him here. Some bits worked--but none of them worked as well as other bits that I've seen him do previously on the show.

Will it be JEFF DYE? Jeff is really counting on his being likable here...as a set where he spent most of it laughing at the homeless might not have been the best choice when you need America to like you enough to call in and vote for you. That said, I liked how Jeff's choice of topics showed originality beyond the "and guys, don't you hate it when girls do this?" stuff that seemed to dominate this group on this night. He didn't play it safe, he didn't play to his base...but he made it funny (and I wasn't offended by his homeless jokes, because I never felt they were mean-spirited...but I recognize that there are those who think that ANY jokes about the homeless are, by default, mean-spirited.)

I think Jeff had a great television comedy set...and that's who I voted for.

Will it be RON G? Ron started off slowly, but he gained momentum as he talked about common dating observations. Ron is great at getting and maintaining what I've always called "avalanche laughter"--where you start the crowd laughing and you keep them laughing, not really by advancing any new material...you just keep giving them the same reason to keep laughing...and the fact that everyone else is laughing makes you continue laughing. It's a great technique to master--and Ron G masters it with his repetitive act-outs (this time with his "ain't nobody thinkin' 'bout you" bit.)

I'm not really a fan, currently...but I can see him moving on...

Will it be LOUIS RAMEY? Louis is (along with Jim and Sean) the most seasoned veteran of this cast...and he seems untroubled by any of the demands of the show. He just smoothly breezes on stage and does what he's done countless times before. Like Adam Hunter, I'm a bit surprised at his selection of material...that it seemed more like what a club comic would choose to do ("Go with your sex stuff, that always works") than what a comic with an eye on the television audience might choose.

That said, I got in trouble with my fiance for laughing in recognition of the "seems like a good idea, but in practice it isn't" honey dripping (as my experience with that ::cough-cough:: wasn't with her... ::deep breath:...and this time tested material all got the appropriate laughs in the appropriate places.

...BUT...

As we all know, this isn't so much a comedy contest...as it is a competitive reality show. So, it really isn't about "who was funnier?"--it's about "who will America go out of their way to vote for?"

And that's a very important distinction--because it's not like you can vote AGAINST the people you didn't like...you can only vote FOR the people you did. So, who will America vote for?

I think they'll vote for Jeff Dye. He's a good looking guy ("Tall Vanilla Latte"--The Girls Next Door) who didn't ruin himself by doing material that was too mean.

I think they'll vote for Ron G. He's a good looking guy ("Dark Meat"--The Girls Next Door) whose energy and charm makes his tweaking of the girls in his material seem more like naughty kidding around.

I think they'll vote for Iliza Schleshinger. She's the last female comic standing, she's got the sympathy/underdog thing going on ("Oh, that poor girl...all of those guys keep picking on her!") and she holds her own on stage, so you're not JUST voting on her personality. In fact, if anything keeps her from moving on in the show...it might be because her personality is a bit more prickly than America tends to like in their underdogs.

That leaves one more.

I'd have said that Sean Cullen would move on...if Canada was allowed to vote. He's a big star up there, he's had his own tv show in Canada...and the national media is treating his being in LCS as if he was an Olympic athlete. BUT, Canada, from what I can tell, can NOT vote. Only America can vote...and I don't think that Sean has charmed enough of America for a significant amount of them to vote for him and guarantee his entry into the Final Five.

I'd have said that Louis Ramey should move on...based merely on comic competence alone. However, he came across as both aloof and negative in the show so far...and I don't see any groundswell of support for him or his performances. Again, you have to make people vote FOR you...it's not enough to merely be "better" (whatever THAT means) than others... I don't think Louis has done anything to make ANYONE vote FOR him. If he moves on, then America cares more about the craft of stand-up comedy than I gave them credit for...

I don't know what to think of Adam Hunter's chances. On one hand, he's a good looking guy...but he's not nearly as good looking as either Jeff or Ron...so, he's not getting the votes of those who just vote on their crushes. He did absolutely nothing on the show. Seriously, other than getting mad about not knowing how to do the dozens against God's Pottery...can you remember another moment from Adam's being on the show? His material, generically funny, didn't have anything that would inspire someone to go "that's it, I'm definitely voting for THAT guy." Unless he's got a strong group of Facebook/MySpace street team marketers whipping up a fan base that I'm not aware of...I think Adam's one of the easiest picks not to move on...

And that leaves us with Jim Tavare. I think, more than anyone, Jim had a chance to win his way into the Final Five...and I don't think he did. I think that he's certainly a known quality from the show--it's hard to ignore the tall, bald, British guy with the double bass--and I think that if he'd had a top quality set, he'd have stood out from the crowd...but he didn't. So, I don't know what demographic votes for Jim. Ex-pat Brits? Fans who remember him from "Wings"? I don't know...

So...what I imagine is a Final Five that consists of: Marcus, Jeff Dye, Ron G, Iliza Schlesinger...and possibly Sean Cullen or maybe Louis Ramey.

That's a LOT of young talent...a LOT of performers who many comedians feel haven't earned their stripes yet...

Of course, they'll each get one more chance to prove themselves to America. And then, two of them will get one MORE chance.

I think that the format favors Marcus--as long as America doesn't tire of his Christopher Walken impression...but we'll see. If Sean, Louis or Jim don't move on...it might come down to who has more top quality material to drop on America (and I know that Jeff's got some good stuff left...)

pg--Again, I really can't see this show being renewed for next season.--seattle

Quote Originally Posted by pg13;3144606;
    I've done some further digging...and, here's what I THINK the schedule for the show is going to be...

Right now, Marcus is in the Top 5...and four of the seven who performed this week will join him in the Top 5...and those five will perform next week in the "finals."

...except that the voting will eliminate three of them...and then the two performers left will go head to head that night...and America will decide.

...and then in the final show, there shall be only one.

So...still a bit top heavy, as far as this show goes--evidently the producers think we wanted to laugh at the costumed freaks they encouraged to pretend to try out for this show more than we actually wanted to watch the actual show they were pretending to try out for...

Those producers are, of course, wrong...

pg--Can ANYONE actually see this show being renewed and coming back next year? I can't.--seattle

I completely agree with you about how the producers think we are more entertained by the costumed freaks than by the actual show. I'm not surprised that this show is in trouble with an insulting mindset like that. How can they be so out of touch with America? Haven't they ever watched American Idol? Although they certainly have a mind boggling amount of auditions as well, it doesn't dominate the entire season.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast